Author Topic: Yet another photo to date - help please  (Read 3908 times)

Offline Biker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Yet another photo to date - help please
« on: Monday 13 December 04 15:16 GMT (UK) »
This photo was among a recent find of family documents and photographs.  Unfortunately it has no identifying marks on it and appears to be a copy of the original.
I am rubbish as estimating the period when photos were taken despite checking various online photo dating resources.  Help!

Thanks for comments/opinions
Jonathan
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GRACELAND

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Elvis Presley* ARTIST OF THE CENTURY..*
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another photo to date - help please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 December 04 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Looks earlier than the last one ,i won;t guess on this one  :)
God Knew Elvis was Tired so he called him to rest !................
"I like it well done, Cooked. I ain't orderin' a pet."
--Elvis Presley, On Meat
"Don't be like nobody else or you'll be livin' a lie, and that ain't livin'."
--Elvis Presley, On Individuality

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 December 04 16:26 GMT (UK) »
This is a difficult one as it's only a head & shoulders so very little in the way of clothing to help.  Gorgeous head of hair though!  First impressions had me thinking post WWI maybe 1920's.  He's not in uniform and the collar of the shirt looks quite modern also the way he's tied his neck tie.  Coat looks like a good winter one and of good quality as the buttons are covered in the same material.
Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline GRACELAND

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Elvis Presley* ARTIST OF THE CENTURY..*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 December 04 16:31 GMT (UK) »
I was even thinking before that Jane 1890s  ???
God Knew Elvis was Tired so he called him to rest !................
"I like it well done, Cooked. I ain't orderin' a pet."
--Elvis Presley, On Meat
"Don't be like nobody else or you'll be livin' a lie, and that ain't livin'."
--Elvis Presley, On Individuality

Offline teddybear1843

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 December 04 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Well I would say after WWI but very little to go on.  Shirt does appear to be in one piece (no seperate collar) and hair is quite long but who knows?

I'd say 1930.

But I wait to be corrected.

Teddybear
Bear, Burrows, Burroughs, Goll, Mayes, Yull, Bacon, Harvey, Fenn, Youngman, Jary, Lake, Chesney, Yaxley, Freestone, Briggs, Carrington, Frarey, Blaxter, Bennefer, Gosman, Howard, Wildman, Woodbine, Jessop, Taylor, Walpole, etc etc  all in Norfolk.
Weasenham village history and families connected to the villages of Weasenham All Saints & Saint Peter in Norfolk.  Happy to carry out research in Norfolk.  Please PM for details.

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 December 04 17:10 GMT (UK) »
The overcoat is what was known as a Crombie - a plush grey-blue variation on the famous British Warm but usually full length. That, the absence of any facial hair, and the one piece shirt force me to conclude that we are really looking at a post-War No.2  and I would guess at about 1950.
PS I had two expensive coats like that stolen from coatracks in restaurants. I hope this beggar was not responsible for one of them. ::)
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Clincher

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 December 04 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Particularly because what we see is a scan of a copy of the original I'm tempted to say that the oval shape of the photo is a bit old-fashioned for the 1950s so I would go for pre-war. I remember the Crombie from the 1950s. Unlike Hackstaple, I could only afford a cheap kind of a pastiche of the real thing (which could also be in light brown I think) which kind of moulted pdq. In the 1950s they were less bulky than the one in photo seems to be which is another reason for me to go 1930s.
To lose one Crombie is careless - to lose two... ::)

Offline Geoff of Devon

• I have turned off notifications of new replies to my posts.
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 December 04 18:29 GMT (UK) »
The stitching around the button-hole is machined, the button on the right breast is fabric covered and the straight-lapelled shirt and heavy-weight, yet lightly and evenly stitched, jacket suggest later than 1920, so 1920s to 1950s!

The first portable electric Singer sewing machine was first in use in 1921, so it MUST be after that, or else whoever made it could mimic machining by hand.... ;)

I've got hair just like that!!!!!! Unruly and impossible, but at least I'll never go bald!
All lookups are crown copyright

Offline Biker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 December 04 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Well, that's a lot to digest, and quite a range of thoughts.  Thanks.

I doubt it can be as late as 1950 as all of the family are 'accounted' for around this time.  I have quite a few photographs of the family luckily which discounts quite a few, so of the remaining 'suspects' there is only one that could be a possible for about 1930, all the rest are 1870-80.  I would have thought the curly hairstyle might help in dating it, but haven't found anything similar on old photos on the net.

Although as some have mentioned the style of the clothing looks 1930s, I thought the oval shape of the mount maybe dated it back further than that.
I also thought, as most of my family are working class, small tradesmen, then this also could confuse the dating as the 'date this photo' sites tend to feature well-off looking folk.

Bit of a mystery then.  I'm hoping to get this identified by a living relative and will report back with any news.

In the meantime, more expert views welcome!

Regards
Jonathan

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk