Author Topic: STEWART families in Donegal  (Read 17074 times)

Offline AlexStewart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: STEWART families in Donegal
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 May 16 14:15 BST (UK) »
sites

http://www.cyberus.ca/~bharvey/plantation.htm

www.donegalcoco.ie/media/donegalcountyc/heritage/pdfs/plantationarchitectureandlandscapeboolet.pdf

if you go through google or one of the search eng. and put in the search box, Stewart plantaion in dunfanaghy in 1600 lots of articles come up.
[/quote

Thank you, Rathmore. Interesting pointers there. Are you familiar with Jonathan Bardon's excellent books: The Plantation of Ulster and The History of Ulster?
Stewart:Donegal
Babington: Donegal and Londonderry
Patton:Donegal

Offline Matty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 May 16 14:59 BST (UK) »
http://donegalgenealogy.com/1901dunfanaghy.htm

Hi there are is a Thomas Stewart on this this Census Port Road not sure if it is your relative.  I came across it while searching for my McNutt's.

Andrew McNutt rented 5 acres  & 5 perches of land from Alex JR Stewart in Figart Clondahorky Parish  this is on the 1857 Griffiths Valuation
McDermott Yorkshire & Ireland 
McNutt Lancashire &  Donegal Ireland 
McKinly Donegal Ireland
Culbert Donegal Ireland
Richardson Donegal Ireland
Booth,Crompton, Hamer, Jackson, Nuttall, Smith and Ward from Lancashire

"So near and yet so far"

Offline AlexStewart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 May 16 15:26 BST (UK) »
http://donegalgenealogy.com/1901dunfanaghy.htm

Hi there are is a Thomas Stewart on this this Census Port Road not sure if it is your relative.  I came across it while searching for my McNutt's.

Andrew McNutt rented 5 acres  & 5 perches of land from Alex JR Stewart in Figart Clondahorky Parish  this is on the 1857 Griffiths Valuation

No, Thomas is not mine. I have access to the census but thanks for the list.
May I ask you if you know of Samuel McNutt who is at Glinsk? If so, please send me a private message.

Offline Matty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 May 16 18:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Alex,

I have sent a Pm although I as yet have no one in my tree called Samuel

Martty
McDermott Yorkshire & Ireland 
McNutt Lancashire &  Donegal Ireland 
McKinly Donegal Ireland
Culbert Donegal Ireland
Richardson Donegal Ireland
Booth,Crompton, Hamer, Jackson, Nuttall, Smith and Ward from Lancashire

"So near and yet so far"

Offline Jack Stewart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 15 March 19 12:49 GMT (UK) »
I just discovered "RootsChat" and so don't know quite how it works as yet. I have been researching my STEWART ancestors for many years now. My g-g-grandfather, Thomas Stewart (1818-1904) immigrated from the Ramelton, Co. Donegal area ca. 1828/9 through Philadelphia, PA to Armstrong Co., PA and there married in 1848 Elizabeth Brown (1821-1912) in Zion church, Shannondale, Clarion Co., PA. I believe Elizabeth Brown's family also came from the same general Ireland location. The family, along with other similar immigrant families, migrated from Armstrong/Clarion Co's., PA to the Scott Co., Iowa area en-masse, and many inter-related marriages ensued. After the Civil War, in which Thomas and many of his fellow Irish immigrants served, many of these families then moved on to Nebraska, Kansas, and points west in a group where they claimed "bounty lands" for their military service. These families include STEWART, BROWN, ENGLISH, MOORE, MCFATE, DAVIES, PORTER, WRAY, GALBRAITHE, and many more. I would be very interested in exchanging research of these families with anyone interested.

Offline AlexStewart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 15 March 19 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Congratulations Jack on your first post on the excellent Rootschat forum. You mentioned many names and places, but I am particularly interested in your great great grandfather Thomas Stewart born in Ramelton in 1818. I wonder who his parents were. I wonder whether he had a brother named Alexander. I spoke to an elderly chap called McGarvey some years ago in Cashelmore who told me that the Stewarts in Cashelmore, Ards, came from Ramelton. If he is right then my great great grandfather, Alexander, came from Ramelton. 
I am also interested in your points about PA and Armstrong county as I know of ancestors who were connected with that area, but not Stewarts. There is much material available on the early history of that area. Perhaps you would write to me by private message if you wish.
Regards
Alexander Stewart

Offline Jack Stewart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 15 March 19 17:47 GMT (UK) »
G'day, Alex, & thanks for the speedy response to my query! There might be a good possibility we are related thru these and other Stewarts, then, as I have collected more than a few possible relatives named "Alexander," or "Alex," one of them named William Alexander Stewart, who is living in the same place as my g-g-grandfather Thomas and other ancestors there in Scott Co., IA, after the bunch of them moved there from Armstrong (later Clarion Co., PA):

Example:
1854 IA State Census of Le Claire Twp., Scott Co., IA [all neighbors]:
Samuel More [Moore], 4 males, 4 females, 1 alien, total 8 persons
William A. [ALEXANDER--jms] Stewart, 6 males, 3 females, 1 naturalized, total 9 persons
Samuel Wilson, 6 males, 2 females, 8 aliens, total 8 persons
John More [Moore], 4 males, 6 females, 1 militia, 1 naturalized, total 10 persons
James Brown, 7 males, 3 females, 1 naturalized, total 10 persons
THOMAS STEWART, 3 males, 2 females, 1 ALIEN [sic], total 5 persons
Nathaniel Wilson, 1 male, 1 militia
William Jamison, 1 male, 1 female, total 2 persons
James Wilson, 4 males, 3 females, total 7 persons.

These families (and many, many more) are all intermarried and tended to travel in related groups of cousins/uncles, etc.

Other associated families are PORTER, WILSON, SIMPSON, HIRL, WRAY, CAMPBELL, (LOTS with given names "FINLEY") etc. I have a ton of them waiting to be sorted out.

Since you suggested it, and I'd very much prefer it, we might just change to corresponding privately.

Best regards,
Jack

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 15 March 19 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Alex please remember that new members can not access the pm function with only 1 post, Jack has now posted again so will now be able to access the pm's but maybe with him being new it would be easier for you.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AlexStewart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 16 March 19 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Sarah, for your helpful reminder. I had not been in this position before!
Regards
Alex