Author Topic: PICKETT - Witney, Cogges, Southleigh, Newland  (Read 8564 times)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: PICKETT - Witney, Cogges, Southleigh, Newland
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 July 15 11:17 BST (UK) »
Welcome back Sue, I will merge your two profiles together for you

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Oxfordshire Cockney

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 13 March 16 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Good morning Sue from a foggy cold Oxfordshire..I am researching The Pickett family of South Leigh  Oxfordshire for my nieces husband..His mother was Janet Valerie Pickett...I have all the Oxfordshire Parish records here on my desk and unfortunately the Pickett's were Methodist  and not included in Parish Records....I have William b 1831 South Leigh d 1910 Auckland N Z..mrd (1) to Sarah Ashton 12/1858 at Witney (Sarah b 1835 Eynsham)  and (2) to Pheobe Douglas b 1838 Buckland Oxfordshire.. Children by Sarah were (1) William b 19/9/1867 Witney and (2) Louisa Mary b 20/11/1863 d 21/7/1924 Auckland N Z...Children by Pheobe were (1) Clara Ann b 6/1867 Witney d 1872 Witney..(2) Elizabeth b 9/1868 Witney mrd 12/1885 to William Shirley Buckingham ..
William (1831) 1851 lived Newlands ,Cogges,Witney and 1871 at Corn Street Witney...He was employed as a ganger on Great Western Railway...  On 28/6/1847 aged 16 he was in court at Oxford charged with larceny but was aquitted....Myself--I am 85 years old,,computing and researching about 7 years now..Lived in this house in Oxfordshire since 1951..My wife (married 63 years this year) has lived in this house since she was 1 year old....4 children--9 grandchildren--7 great grandchildren..Always busy and Christmas expensive,,but we are H A P P Y.....Regards...LES...

Offline susanmlean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 13 March 16 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Les
Wow! Another marriage! I didn't have the Sara Ashton one!
I've send you a message with my email address. I'm happy to share what I have. I've also done an autosomal dna test - but that's not helping me with my Picketts as yet.
When we were in England a few years ago we stopped briefly in Witney for a look around and visited the little museum. Apart from being told that the Picketts lived in a pretty dire slum area I didn't get much more.
I retire at the end of the year, so hopefully I'll have more time to unravel the past.
Regards
Sue
Waihi Beach NZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 March 16 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sue.....Lovely surprise to get your reply....I have about 70 pages (all handwritten) on the Pickett family...The only problem is,,how do I get it to you??? You said you'd sent your email address to me but ROOTS-CHAT cancelled it out and said no personal messages allowed...Surely if it's involving the Pickett family tree that's not personal?? It's to do with the topic under discussion....This may get rejected as well in that case....Are you with Ancestry??? We could do Family tree communication through there....Anyhow for a try here's my email address...I have no problems at all about this being published on any site to do with Family Trees....Regards...LES.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 14 March 16 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sarah from sunny but cold Oxfordshire...I have just contacted Sue re Pickett family in Oxfordshire....If I can help you in any way then please contact me...The main problem is the Picketts were Methodist and don't appear in the Oxfordshire Parish Records...Very few districts have a Non-Conformist register...Regards....LES.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello Oxfordshire Cockney,

We do not allow the publishing of peoples emails on RootsChat because this is how spammers collect peoples details to sent spam. Once people are sent spam the have a habit of then changing email so that means you become uncontactable.

The safe option is to send these details by personal message (PM) any member can do this so long as they have made a couple of posts, when you tried it would not allow you to do so because you had only made 1 post.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline The Girl from Down Under

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 07:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone
I Googled my ancestor Susan Jane Pickett from Witney, Southleigh, Oxfordshire and came across this forum discussion.  I think perhaps your line might be cousins to my line?  Susan's father was Richard Pickett (1806-1886) and Susan herself was born 1859 and came to Sydney in 1886. I haven't researched Richard Pickett's siblings and parents as yet, so I'd be interested in any comments you have and to know if Richard and William Pickett were cousins.  I have also been trying to discover why Susan came out to Australia on her own. She became my great-great-grandmother :-) 

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Good morning to you from a beautiful sunny frosty Oxfordshire...Reference your PICKETT family...I am part way through a write up of the PICKETT/HARRIS family tree...I have started entering the HARRIS portion onto Ancestry UK...The PICKETT family are still being hand written and a bit of early research to do from Oxfordshire Parish Records..RICHARD PICKETT (1806-1886),, I have his family back to 1685..RICHARD and WILLIAM (1807) were brothers..WILLIAM is the 3X great grandfather of my nephew in law who's tree I'm doing at present...If you would like some more info ,,only to glad to assist...Contact me via Ancestry on WATERS/SALMON/MERRY/BUSBY family tree...Look for HENRY CHARLES WATERS (1869)...  So far I have got about 75/80 pages of written text on the PICKETT family...Your very welcome to what ever you need...Looking forward very much indeed for your reply...Regards....LES  (the Oxfordshire Cockney)....

Offline The Girl from Down Under

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Les
So nice of you to reply and to offer so much assistance!  I'm very excited to hear that William and Richard were brothers.  I will have a think about what info I need and will contact you via Ancestry in the next week or so. 
Look forward to corresponding with you
Mandy