Author Topic: McGougan/McGugan family Lochgilphead  (Read 29420 times)

Offline ardchattan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McGougan/McGugan family Lochgilphead
« Reply #36 on: Friday 10 December 10 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am interested in any connections with Auchindrain - and would love to hear from anyone with family records from the township.
I am excited to say that I have been asked to create a One Place Study of all the people there, in association with a major project to look at all aspects of this wonderful historical location.
please get in touch if you can help
more details here http://www.highlandlife.org.uk/auchindrainpeople.html
email auchindrainpeople[at]yahoo.co.uk

Re-scanned image nothing like Gillespie for mother Catherine! So, not the family from Gigha.

I agree, McArthur is likely name (with McCarter and all the variants). There is only one other Neil and Catherine McGougan family, apart from the Gigha family.

These are these children showing on IGI to a John McGougan and Catherine McArthur:

1. MARY MCGOUGAN Birth: 06 SEP 1860 Cumlodden, Argyll
2. DUNCAN MCGOUGAN Birth: 08 OCT 1861 Cumlodden, Argyll
3. SARAH MCGOUGAN Birth: 14 OCT 1863 Cumlodden, Argyll
4. ISABELLA MCGOUGAN  Birth: 21 JAN 1866 Cumlodden, Argyll
5. JOHN MCGOUGAN Birth: 03 FEB 1872 Cumlodden, Argyll

From the 1861 Census:

Neil Mcgougan 43, Miner Of Nicol, b. Inverary, Argyleshire
Catherine Mcgougan 26 b. Kilmichael Par, Argyleshire
Catherine Mcgougan 3 b. Kilmichael Par, Argyleshire
Margaret Mcgougan 1 1/2 b. Uist, Inverness-Sh
Mary Mcgougan 7 Months
Duncan Mckellar 50, lodger, tailor b. Kilmichael Par, Argylesh
Mary Mckellar 49
Catherine Mckellar 13
Duncan Mckellar 12

Address: Auchindrain, Cumlodden Argyll

Can't easily see Catherine and Margaret's births on IGI. Parents only look to have married on 14 JUN 1860 Inveraray And Glenaray, Argyll (IGI).

Monica

Moderator Comment: e-mail edited, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please replace [at] with @

Offline Uistman59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 26 March 12 13:27 BST (UK) »
It is quite interesting that the 1861 Census shows Neil as a "Miner of Nicol" but ten years later that he was a "Labourer in Powderworks" (presumably at the  Lochfyne Powder Works) and then in 1881 a "Powder Maker" and then in 1891 "masons labourer employed".

Looks as though the 17 year old Catherine McArthur who was a servant in his house in 1851 was the same lady that Neil married sometime in 1860. Niel McGugan birth:   21 Apr 1817 christening:   27 Apr 1817 Parents Duncan McGugan, Cathrine McNiccol ..

Parents marriage date:   29 May 1810
groom's name:   Duncan Macgugan
bride's name:   Catharine Macnicol
Other children Mary Mcgugan christening:   30 Apr 1811
Alexander Mcgugan 11 Feb 1813
John McGugan birth:   03 Oct 1819 christening: 08 Oct 1819. Not sure why the family took a trip up to Uist c 1860 :)

Offline ardchattan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 26 March 12 17:42 BST (UK) »
The 1871 census entry for Neil is probably temporary work, probably due to the mine being unworkable, maybe bad weather, as he is recorded elsewhere as being the foreman of the Craignure Nickel mine until at least 1873.
This is about 7-8 km along from Auchindrain where he lived.
He was a remarkable man, very hard working for his family.
You can see the house he lived at, with its byre and wee barn at the Auchindrain township, open to the public and a wonderful place to really get the feel of how these people lived in the 1800's.
If you want to see an image of Neil, check him out and other conversations about the family on facebook - just look for auchindrain. - he is on Achadh An Droighinn Folks

Offline ardchattan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 26 March 12 17:46 BST (UK) »
hi Uistman
if you can find Margaret's registration on Uist we would be delighted.. not surprised that Neil might have taken the family up there for work, but that certificate is being remarkably elusive !!! :D

Offline Uistman59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 26 March 12 19:09 BST (UK) »
@ardchattan. I don't think its going to be there :( regards Iain MacKillop :)

Offline aauxier

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Arcibald McGugan and Flora McLean
« Reply #41 on: Monday 23 April 18 06:28 BST (UK) »
There seems to be information about the union of Archibald and Flora.  I am however, looking for information about parents of Flora.  I have that she was born about 1793 in Flensaul, Argyll, Scotland but I cannot find anything about her parents.  Is there anyone who can help me?

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Archibald McGugan and Flora McLean
« Reply #42 on: Monday 23 April 18 09:16 BST (UK) »
The 1841 Census (transcription at https://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl) has several M(a)cGugan families at Arinafadmor, North Knapdale

Angus McGugan 60 Farmer
Flora McGugan 67
Archibald McGugan 22
Euphemia McGugan 14 (SP indexes this family as MacGugan)
This information ties in with the information from the 1851 census already found by runningbear. However I note that Angus MacGugan and Flora MacGugan had at least four children: Mary, 1806; unnamed, 1814; John, 1816; Archibald, 1818. Flora McGugan, widow of Angus (illegible but not McGugan!), labourer, died at Arinafadmore on 25 June 1866 aged 90, parents William McGugan and Mary McGugan, maiden surname McGugan, informant Euphemia McGugan, daughter. So Angus is not a misreading or mistranscription of Archibald, and this Flora is not Flora MacLean. Angus McGugan, farmer, 83, died at Arinafadmore on 7 February 1859, parents Donald McGugan, farmer, and Catherine McGugan, maiden surname McMillan. Informant Archibald McGugan, son. 

Angus MacGugan 67 Weaver
Angus McGugan 14
No ideas who these are!

Archd McGugan 40 Weaver
Jane McGugan 35
John McGugan 11
James McGugan 4
Angus McGugan 6
This looks like the family of Archibald McGugan and Jane Campbell: John, 1829; Angus, 1835; James, 1837; Sarah, 1841; Archibald, 1843; Hector, 1845. I think Jane must have died, and Archibald married Ann Campbell and had Hugh, 1848, Duncan, 1850; Donald, 1852; Ann, 1854, and John 1859. The family is still at Arinafadmore in 1861
Archibald McGugan 55 Worsted weaver
Ann McGugan wife 40
Duncan McGugan son 16
Hector McGugan son 15
Dugald McGugan son 8
Ann McGugan daughter 6
John McGugan son 1
Catherine Campbell mother-in-law

There's also a MacLean family at Arinafadmore who might be worth a look in case they are related to Flora MacLean
Niel MacLean 40 Ag Lab
Mary MacLean 30
Donald MacLean 12
Niel MacLean 10
Dugd MacLean 4
Duncan MacLean 1

Arinafad More is on the shore of Caol Scotnish, north-east of Tayvallich. See
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=56.0391&lon=-5.5995&layers=5&b=1
On modern maps it is named as Scotnish, while the place called Scotnish on the old map is now marked as Scotnish F(ar)m. See http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NR7588

Not far away, at Glaichintobair, is another McGugan family
Archibald McGugan 60 Ag lab
Catherine McGugan 50
Flora McGugan 12
Sarah McGugan 10
Ann McGugan 8
Catherine McGugan 3
Angus McGugan 6
This is the family of Archibald McGugan and Catherine McPhail: Flora, 1828; Sarah, 1829; Angus, 1833; Nancy, 1834. Archibald and Catherine were married in 1827. If Archibald's age is correctly listed, he would have been born between 8 June 1776 and 7 June 1781, so 1827 is quite late for a first marriage. Could this possibly be Flora MacLean's widower's second marriage? Noting that Archibald and Flora named their first son Donald, this may well have been the case. He died at Carsaig on 12 December 1864, aged 77, parents Donald McGugan and Catherine McMillan. So he was Angus' brother. His widow registered the death, but the certificate does not mention any other wife.

Anyway, to save rambling on, there are no other possible deaths for either Archibald McGugan or Flora MacLean after 1855. So (unless they emigrated, which seems unlikely if their son John was married in Scotland in 1854) Flora died after the birth of Malcolm in 1826 and before the 1841 census, and Archibald may have remarried in 1827 and died in 1864, or he may also have died before 1841.

I can think of several more possible lines of enquiry, but my brain feels like mush and I need a coffee!

Does that help?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.