Author Topic: Police constable-Galway  (Read 28010 times)

Offline Jax49

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Police constable-Galway
« on: Tuesday 31 July 07 20:32 BST (UK) »
Hope someone can help.

On my grandparents marriage certificate it says my grandmothers father,CHARLES GEORGE O'SULLIVAN was a POLICE CONSTABLE. My grandparents married in England in 1929, Charles was already deceased by this time. Both grandparents were from County Galway. As yet I have no idea when he was born.

How do I access any records for Charles, any help would be appreciated.

Jax ???
Bradshaw Tyldesley/Worsley Lancs. RIMMER Liverpool/Birkenhead/Eccles Lancs. Dale Congleton.
Storey Kendal/Eccles. Ryan County Galway Ireland.
O'SULLIVAN Oughterard/ Cornamona County Galway, Ireland. Butler and Burke, Count Galway.  Cowburn Atherton, Manley Worsley. Durban (various spelling) Chilvers Coton Warwickshire. Phidiam/Fidium Worsley.

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Police constable-Galway
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 21:01 BST (UK) »
Did your grandparents get married in  a R.C. church in england? If they did that church would have been incontact with the parish church she was fromin Ireland and they would hold all her records if she was rasied there? I know this because that is how i found out which part of Ireland my own father came from. when you find out let us know
Migky ;)

http://www.nationalarchives.ie/search/index.php?browse=true&category=14&subcategory=81&offset=10&browseresults=true

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Galway

http://www.irish-roots.net/galway-west.asp

And if you have not yet been there , you will love it , might be worth the trip  :)

Offline Jax49

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 15:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Migky

That bit of information was great, I never thought of that!! Presumably I am best writing to the church, is that correct? They did marry in a catholic church ,my grandparents, but my mum seems to think she wasnt born into the catholic church but changed later. we think her mum may have been catholic and Charles, her father, may have been church of Ireland we arnt too sure.

We hope to go over to Galway next year, my mum went in the 1930/40s to Oughterard to visit her grandparents and her Ryan grandfather lived in Galway city.

What I also didnt make clear was I would like to know if I can acces Charles Police records, how do I go about getting them or is it not possible?

Thanks again for your valuable advice.

Jacqui.
Bradshaw Tyldesley/Worsley Lancs. RIMMER Liverpool/Birkenhead/Eccles Lancs. Dale Congleton.
O'SULLIVAN Oughterard/ Cornamona County Galway, Ireland. Butler and Burke, Count Galway.  Cowburn Atherton, Manley Worsley. Durban (various spelling) Chilvers Coton Warwickshire. Phidiam/Fidium Worsley.

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 15:51 BST (UK) »
Hi yep write to the church most have a whole mess of papers going back 100's of years , and i will try and find more on the police  thing for you . my family lived in the city to right in the middle lol thats why it called middle street lol
Migky ;)

Offline Jax49

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

You may have seen an earlier post about the Mechanics institute, that is where my other Grt Grandad Ryan lived. He was the club steward there, at least in the 1920/30/40s, and that is on Middle Street, Galway City. I have written to them and hope they reply!! Our ancestors may have been neighbours :D

Jax

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 August 07 09:18 BST (UK) »
HI JAX
I also had a g.grandfather who was a policeman in Galway back in 1861. You can trace his police record, but unfortunately these are held in Dublin. You may get some indication of the location in Galway from the Griffith Valuation tables which list all heads of families in 1855 and if you know the area then the parish records can be used. Parish records are also kept in Dublin for all areas.
Hope you have some success.
Brian
Arnold ( Lancs ). Gordon ( Lancs, Scotland ). Dowling. ( Ireland, England, Massachusetts, Australia, Buenos Aires ) Pugh ( Pew) ( Cheshire & Lancs). Cordial ( Ireland )

Offline Jax49

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 August 07 17:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Brian

My grandmother was born in Cornamona in 1908, by 1929 he was dead ( grandmothers marraige cert) so it must have been around that area.

thank you.

Jax

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 August 07 18:09 BST (UK) »
You can trace his police record, but unfortunately these are held in Dublin. You may get some indication of the location in Galway from the Griffith Valuation tables which list all heads of families in 1855 and if you know the area then the parish records can be used.

Griffith's Valuation will probably not be much use as policemen used to move about and I think many, like bank staff, were posted outside their home area. Also, Griffith's is a bit too early.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 October 07 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Jax,
It's almost certain that if Charles was a police constable serving in Co. Galway he would have joined the police force in a completely different county, as it was the practice to post contables out of their own area. Mine was born and joined the force in Co. Wicklow and was posted to Galway.
Best of Luck
Brian
Arnold ( Lancs ). Gordon ( Lancs, Scotland ). Dowling. ( Ireland, England, Massachusetts, Australia, Buenos Aires ) Pugh ( Pew) ( Cheshire & Lancs). Cordial ( Ireland )