Author Topic: Police constable-Galway  (Read 28029 times)

Offline spof

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Police constable-Galway
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 22:18 BST (UK) »

Glen, where have you been all my life?  :D

Err...ummm...ah...how about hiding in the LDS Family History Centre?  8)

I've found his record and it's a good 'un even if the clerks all seemed to be in a competition to write the most with the smallest possible writing.  ;D What I couldn't read is marked with a ?

It is record number 37852 (wonder if that's also his badge number?) and as the index said, he was a native of Kildare and was 20 when he joined. He was a tall lad at 6' 1 1/4" which was very tall for that time given the quality of food most people ate.

He was married and the record lists the date and which county the wife was from so we have:

Marriage 1- 3 Sept 1885 to a Kerry girl.
Marriage 2 - 15 Sept 1890 to someone from Clare so this would be your gran's mother
Marriage 3 - 27 Nov 1900 to someone from Galway WR (no idea what the WR means)

He was introduced to the Constabulary by Sub Inspector Power. There is text which straddles 2 columns but I think the reference MAyo SR refers to the Inspector and he was a laborer prior to joining on his appointment date of 7 June 871

As others have posted, he never actually served in his native Kildare but was posted to the following locations

Londonderry 13 Dec 1871
Reserve 18 April 1878
Tyrone 31 March 1880
Reserve 31 May 1880
Kerry 1 August 1883
Blake 10 Feb 1888
Galway WR 23 May 1891

Promotions
Promoted to AG1 August ??
Promoted to Sargeant 1 Jan 1887
Reduced to Constable 6 Dec 1890 (naughty boy!)

Rewards
Twenty something years 27 April 1887
Sub ?ec 29 June 1887

Punishments
Admd 19 Oct 1880
Fight (I think) 7 Sept 1881
Hn Rec 29 July 1889

And he took a pension on 1 January 1903 with a final comment seeming to read Comd in Wicklow

So there you go. Any questions are probably best posted to the Ireland - General board to get a wider audience. As for the marriage details, the LDs are setting up a new version of Familsearch here

http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=0

and the Irish BMD indexes should be online in the, hopefully, not too distant future.

Cheers

Glen
Bezant (London/Suffolk), West (London/Essex), Walker (Yorkshire), Phillips (West Country - believed Bristol area), Tibbetts (Warwickshire), Armstrong (Co Fermanagh), Harvison (Co Wexford), Neeb (Germany), Becker (Germany), Jakobsson (Finland). Kanneworff (Germany and Denmark)

Offline SeanC3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 04 June 08 01:07 BST (UK) »
 :o Glen my man, you are a diamond. You must be my "beginners luck" on rootschat!

I'm astonished. Lots of info there to take in at once.....including 3 marriages (my aunt may have a fit when she hears that!). Talk about sailors having a girl in every port, eh?  ;)
It's amazing to think that this man born in the east of the island was sent to serve north, south & west, at a time when transport links would've been a touch more basic than they are now. Guess it's another example of what Brian1 stated about the practice of posting members outside of their own area. Plus the fact he appears to have re-married after my gran was born could be another reason why the info we had on him was so scarce.

Thanks a million again. Hope you found as much info on the one or two people you were tracing.

That's what I call a result!  :D

Sean.

Offline SeanC3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 04 June 08 01:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Sean

Hope you do get some information let us know what you find. If you google "Royal Irish constabulary" there is a very interesting site and forum. the guy on the forum has been a great help to me in the past. At the moment I am trying to find my G G grandfathers records his name is Charles Clark unfortunately the Charles Clarks  on Ancestry  are too young >:(

Hope you find lots of info

Jacqui

Cheers for the lead Jacqui. As you can see, Glen has pulled a decent sized rabbit out of a hat with lots of info! There is a Clarke wing in my family, but it's all Kildare based, I'm afraid, and I haven't managed to make too much progress there myself.

I'm sure another piece of your jigsaw is just around the corner. The search continues for us all.....

Greetz,

Offline Jax49

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 04 June 08 08:54 BST (UK) »
Sean,

I read the reply last night and thought I would just check this morning before work to see if you had read it. I am chuffed to bits for you,. Its a great feeling isnt it? My g grandfather got a couple of awards and my daughter found them on the Royal Humane Society website. He saved two people from drowning, a drunk and a runaway boy, both in the river Ennis. My G G was born in Galway and served in Kerry, Clare and Wicklow. Its funny to see where are all the kids were born on the census, they certainly got about a bit!
Charles clars daughter was born in Mayo so he could have come from anywhere considering the movement of these men.
anyway off to work for me, and good luck with the rest of your research.

Jacqui

ps if you can, take a look at some local papers of the time, my G g was always mentioned especially for arresting people making illegal booze....
Bradshaw Tyldesley/Worsley Lancs. RIMMER Liverpool/Birkenhead/Eccles Lancs. Dale Congleton.
Storey Kendal/Eccles. Ryan County Galway Ireland.
O'SULLIVAN Oughterard/ Cornamona County Galway, Ireland. Butler and Burke, Count Galway.  Cowburn Atherton, Manley Worsley. Durban (various spelling) Chilvers Coton Warwickshire. Phidiam/Fidium Worsley.

Offline spof

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 04 June 08 22:10 BST (UK) »
:o Glen my man, you are a diamond. You must be my "beginners luck" on rootschat!

Sean

Happy to help but if Jacqui hadn't mentioned the LDS films, I'd be nowhere so all the credit is due to her.

I'm astonished. Lots of info there to take in at once.....including 3 marriages (my aunt may have a fit when she hears that!). Talk about sailors having a girl in every port, eh?  ;)

I wouldn't go rushing out shouting about it. I think you'll find he was probably widowed (at least once  ;)) so until you get more information then hold back a bit.

Cheers

Glen

I
Bezant (London/Suffolk), West (London/Essex), Walker (Yorkshire), Phillips (West Country - believed Bristol area), Tibbetts (Warwickshire), Armstrong (Co Fermanagh), Harvison (Co Wexford), Neeb (Germany), Becker (Germany), Jakobsson (Finland). Kanneworff (Germany and Denmark)

Offline Endastory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 17 September 12 10:05 BST (UK) »
SeanC3

I am also trying to trace the Lewis Family from Mullacash, Carnalway, Co. Kildare and I would be very interested to see what you found out. I have seen the tomestone you referred to above and know that Charlie Lewis and his brothers Pat Lewis, William Lewis and Larry Lewis were policeman.

I suspect you may already have found out a lot more information and would like to speak to you.

Regards,
Enda.

Offline Endastory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 17 September 12 10:26 BST (UK) »
I'm new to www.rootschat.com.

How do I make contact with a User 'SeanC3'. In 2008 he was on this site enquiring about an ancester of his William Lewis who I'm trying to find out about now. It seems he last logged into the site in June 2011.

Enda.

Offline SeanC3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 17 September 12 23:13 BST (UK) »
I'm new to www.rootschat.com.

How do I make contact with a User 'SeanC3'. In 2008 he was on this site enquiring about an ancester of his William Lewis who I'm trying to find out about now. It seems he last logged into the site in June 2011.

Enda.

Dear, oh dear.....not since June 2011, eh? More's the shame  :-\

Anyhow, that's me!  ;)

Just dropped you a PM reply.

Offline SimonCL

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 25 August 13 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hi just joined Rootschat, by chance came onto the discussion on William & Charles Lewis. I'm Charles great grandson. Can someone tell me how I can contact Endastory or SeanC3 who have been joining this thread? Thanks