Author Topic: Caldwells from Magilligan  (Read 31576 times)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Caldwells from Magilligan
« Reply #18 on: Monday 06 August 07 20:37 BST (UK) »
Hi E Caldwell,
                    Looking through some other queries I came across my home townland in a misspelt parish name which should have been Tamlaghtard. I have now got four names for you from 1831.
 John   Ballylaghr(sic)
John   Tercreevan
Jonn   Lamlaghtarde (sic) the incorrect spelling
Widow Caldwell    Lamlaghtarde
Regards
Morrison Stewart
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline E Caldwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 20:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kingskerswell.   This process is not easy and being so new to it, we are grateful for any insight from folks who have been at this for longer.   We are leaning toward the theory that though they later became Presbyterians who were involved in the Magilligan Presbyterian Church when it was founded, the Caldwells from Tamlaghtard (or at least some of them), where with the Church of Ireland and rolled the 300 yards down the road to the Tamlaghtard Church of Ireland.  Learning more about the politics of the Church of Ireland in Northern Ireland, and the political upheaval in the late 18th century in that region, there seems evidence to suggest that folks in the area could have switched churches during that period.  As one of us speculated, perhaps the Church of Ireland became synonymous with the oppressive English rule and the baronet landowners and at some point in this period our own ancestors abandoned that church for the more radical Presbyterian Church. 

This is one possible theory for why we have 3 Caldwells listed on the vestry of the Tamlaghtard Church of Ireland in the 18th century.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 20:54 BST (UK) »
It is possible that not all on C. of I Vestry lists were members of that church.
My husband's family have always and all been Presbyterian but lived near the Chruch of Ireland and we have found that at least one ancestor in early 1800s was on vestry list. At the same time he paid stipend and attended Presbyterian church but was possibly buried in family plot in Church of Ireland burying-ground.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kintree

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thicker than water
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 08 August 07 08:04 BST (UK) »
Graveyards of the established church were available to all religions - in theory !! Rectors could make it unpleasant for non-CofI to bury their dead, eg by refusing to permit non-CofI ritual.

I agree with aghadowey about equivocation between Presbyterian and CofI. At the end of the 18th century one of my relatives crossed the Sperrins to marry his beloved: when he found that the CofI Rector was not available, he roused the non-conforming minister to perform the marriage ceremony. Desperate measures for desperate times!

Adrian
STEVENSON County Derry;  KINSMAN;  BATTERSBY Dublin

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 08 August 07 10:13 BST (UK) »
In earlier times Presbyterians had to pay tithes to the Established Church (Church of Ireland) but were entitled to burial in Parish Church ground. Also, some Presbyterian churches did not have their own burying-ground. Some C. of I. churches seemed to keep a 'Presbyterian' section for burials.
Very few Presbyterians would have gone to C. of I. Rector to get married, usually only if one of the couple were C. of I., and would have gone to Registry Office or other Presbyterian minister instead. Even know of cases in 1700s were Presbyterians went to R.C. priest to marry instead of C. of I. rector- including the sister of a Presbyterian minister.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline stmccmagilligan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 12:51 GMT (UK) »
i am a native of magilligan. u should look at the graveyard in a field to the right as u head to the top of the limestone road. it is hid in a field and very old there is half burried stones and a standing templer stone with a clear distinctive red cross still present. the yard is in a  field and hidden behind a small hill

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   I think that this must be a burial ground associated with the ancient Abbey of Duncrun.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline stmccmagilligan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 12:32 GMT (UK) »
no this is where the old christian church was, at that time. not roman catholic , they would not affialiate with rome. all denominations were burried there up untill the late 17th. an old church did stand there then became church of ireland after the wars with the o neils after1640s. the ancient abbey is site is  currently hid in the forest.  it was taken down after the disestablishment and used to build a long house beside the ruins. in the present ruins there is an actual base of a round tower.

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Looking at Griffiths maps for the 1850s on this site http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/
it looks like Kingskerswell is right.  It clearly shows the Abbey ruins beside Church Hill on the right hand side of Limestone Road heading from Seacoast Road to Duncrun Road.  The modern OS map shows a cross at this location (presumable the templar stone mentioned).  The present Church of Ireland is on the left hand side of the same road at its junction with Duncrun Road.

Griffith doesn't show a burial ground at the abbey, though.  Only at the CoI (Tamlaghtard) and at the RC church on down the Duncrun Road (Old Tamlaghtard) - even the Presbyterian graveyard is not shown, although the church and associated school are.