Author Topic: Caldwells from Magilligan  (Read 31577 times)

Offline E Caldwell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Caldwells from Magilligan
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 August 07 19:06 BST (UK) »
If you look at the History of Headstones and their maps, the "Tamlaught old burial ground" seems to be right where St. Aidens is and since I don't see any other reference to the burial ground of St. Aidens, assume them to be one and the same. 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 August 07 19:11 BST (UK) »
The map on History from Headstones website is at least better than what comes up on multimap- a red circle in the middle of nowhere, so vague that it would be impossible to find.
Will get out the townland map and get a location for you.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kintree

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thicker than water
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 03 August 07 19:22 BST (UK) »
aghadowey

I don't think map reference C678313 is vague - OK it's only to the nearest 100 metres, but that is not a very large area!

Adrian
STEVENSON County Derry;  KINSMAN;  BATTERSBY Dublin

Offline kintree

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thicker than water
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 03 August 07 19:35 BST (UK) »
E caldwell

They may very well be the same place.

Have a look at this photo of St Aidans - the building looks well old !

http://www.ccght.org/environmental_management/areas_of_outstanding_natural_beauty/binevenagh/cultural_heritage/?lang=en

Adrian

Offline E Caldwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 03 August 07 19:48 BST (UK) »
Yep, that is the same place we have been and has our great 3x grandmother.  Rats.  We were hoping there was a burial ground that we had missed.  Okay, now we will go back to looking for John Caldwell, Alexander Caldwell and other relatives at some other sites nearby like in Dunboe.  Thanks again for your help. 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 03 August 07 20:01 BST (UK) »
County Londonderry Sources for Family History lists 4 graveyards in the area (which I've mentioned above).
My comment about multimap was not about the grid reference but about how vague the red circle in the middle of nowhere is in regard to finding the location.

The 3 graveyards on History from Headstones:
-Tamlaghtard C. of I.- Duncrun (townland)- ref. C687323
-Magilligan Presbyterian- Margymonaghan- C675336
-Old Tamlaghtard- Tamlaghtard- C678313

Historic Monuments list:
-Duncrun (townland)- church site & cross-cardved stone: Church Hill- ref. C6817 3237
-Tamlaght (Magilligan)- Tamlaghtard church, Saint's grave & holy well- ref. C67783140

Offline kintree

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thicker than water
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 05 August 07 23:29 BST (UK) »
aghadowey

The red circle on multimap should on your screen be superimposed on the OS 1:50,000 map (displayed at 1:25,000), showing the topography of the area, and the Irish Grid. That is what I see when I use the multimap link.

In the info you have listed there appear to be only three graveyards, as confirmed by E Caldwell's experience on site.  Mapref 678313 in one of the lists would appear to be the same as mapref 67783140 in your other list.  The Historic Monuments list does not identify any graveyard - its descriptions are a little confusing: the first site appears to be the CofI church, though referred to as a site; the second site appears to be the old church, and St Aidans RC.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 05 August 07 23:37 BST (UK) »
Sorry but I tried Multimap link again and all I get is the red circle nearly in the middle of nowhere...

It does look like there are only 3 graveyards in the area but as I said Brian Mitchell's book County Londonderry Sources for Family History list four (r.c., C. of I., Presb. & public) but it would not be the 1st time the Genealogy Centre in Derry made a horrible mistake.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 06 August 07 20:01 BST (UK) »
Hi E. Caldwell,
                     I looked up the 1831 census of Co. Londonderryfor caldwells in the Magilligan area and found none. However I did find seven Caldwells in the parish of Tamlaght O'Crilly in the Maghera area and many others in other parishes.
Regarding graveyards in the Magilligan area: I am only aware of three and I was brought up in the area. One is the Presbyterian, One is the Church of Ireland and the Third is the Roman Catholic. The old Roman Catholic church was taken over by the Protestant settlers about 1613 and used for worship until they built the C of I church where you saw it. The old church was handed back to the R.c. church and they were helped to build the church which is there now. I am unsure of dates for this but many of the graves in the raised part of that church will contain protestant burials.
     I do not know if this helps or confuses you further but drop me a line if I can help any more.
Regards
Morrison Stewart
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim