Author Topic: Arclid Hall Sandbach  (Read 8671 times)

Offline Trenely Tuppence

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Arclid Hall Sandbach
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 12 March 16 14:27 GMT (UK) »
My father recalls a Mrs Lowe living in a cottage and a couple called Leach and their daughter Ruby. And a couple called Goodwin, but he was a cow man in the 1950's. Leach & Goodwin worked for Mr LW Finlow at Archlid Hall Farm in the 1940's & 1950's although the cottages were owned by Colonel F J Finlow.

We have the Archlid Hall sale brochure from 1959 also with photo. There were 4 cottages, though my father things a Gardner was in the other one.
I don't know if any of that fits?

Offline Trenely Tuppence

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 12 March 16 14:39 GMT (UK) »
It so happens my parents are having a sort out - we have just come across records of two of the cottages let one to a Mr K Dimmiler and one to a Mr Hamilton the records are from 1959.

Offline Norma Bayley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 October 16 21:33 BST (UK) »
Used to visit Brookside/Arclid Hall as a youngster. At Christmas we would go Carol singing there. The Colonel and Mrs Finlow always made younwelcome. Later it became a boys prep school, Holmlea. The grounds were used by the community for the Church Garden Party for years...I was May Queen there in around 1959!

Offline Paul Jolley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 14 July 18 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi
I believe in 1959, a Percy Gordon Finlow had an agreement with Edward (butcher) and Olive Hamilton of 2 Brookside Cottages. I also believe a Fredarick James Finlow lived at Arclid Hall but sadly passed away 21st February 1959. 

Offline Ellie Finlow

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 31 July 22 15:26 BST (UK) »
My ancestor was Frederick Finlow who I think bought the farm after the first world war. I would love to know more.

Offline Dingleroad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 21 January 24 16:29 GMT (UK) »
I was the last Head boy at Holm Leigh, Arclid Hall in 1969. The school moved to Arclid Hall from Buxton in 1959 and I started there in 1964. The school suffered from falling pupil numbers and finally closed in 1969 with less than 30 boys. The school Headmaster was Mr Fallows and he had constant health problems in the last few years of the school.
I went back there a few years ago with my wife and the receptionist at the business that bought the hall was kind enough to show me around.
I first went there to board, in 1969. My parents used to put me on the train in Leeds on my own to be met by Mrs Fallows at Crewe with a change at Stockport and Stalybridge from the age of 8. Can you imagine any parent doing that now !!