Author Topic: Land Tax Assessments  (Read 801 times)

Offline Clincher

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Land Tax Assessments
« on: Monday 13 December 04 23:39 GMT (UK) »
I searched Rootschat in case this duplicated anyone else's work but I couldn't find anything that really matched so I think I'll share my experience of this in case it helps others.
I have been looking for ages for a marriage in Essex and Suffolk. I was led in that direction by pretty clear clues which turned out to be the largest of red herrings. At last (thanks largely to Pauline Jackson)I think I have found the marriage in St George in the East in 1805. But I wanted to be sure and one way I thought I could get verification was by looking up the Land Tax assessment records for 1805-1807. I am not entirely sure that the verification is total but I just want to describe what I found:
(a) for one parish in St George in East I got a bound book for each year containing around 125 pages.
(b) each page in each book seemed to have been written by the same person in a very legible hand.
(c) each page listed surname and forename of freeholders/occupiers of premises and its street address
(d) the book was used as a device for calculating taxes and had therefore to be accurate. It was signed by 3 worthies that it was correctly calculated.
(e) most names were of males but there were some females (presumably well-off in their own right).
I found the names I was looking for.
Because this record was available at least as far back as 1805 (before any extant census records) it occurred to me that it could be a useful aid to anyone who wanted to narrow the search area for a 'brick wall'. It took me about an hour to skim through 125 pages which I think is a pretty good return compared with what I would have spent trawling through parish registers on the off chance.
I know this London parish may not be typical of all parishes and female 'brick walls' may not be susceptible to this approach.
Any thoughts anyone?

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
Re: Land Tax Assessments
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 December 04 05:48 GMT (UK) »
This idea sounds great!!!

Where are these records available?  (Probably not available to an Aussie but just thought I'd ask.  May be able to get someone to search for me.)

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Clincher

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 December 04 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi: The ones I looked at related to a London parish. They were in the archives of London Metropolitan Archive.

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 December 04 03:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Clincher!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Clincher

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 December 04 09:07 GMT (UK) »
I also searched the website for Essex Record Office for 'Land Tax Assessment' and got 1800+ hits for different parishes going back to at least to 1700s. Some were combined with window tax assessments.
Some seemed to be microfiche archives which to me are less preferable than the original paper!!!