Author Topic: RUTHERFORD, STORIE and OLIVER families  (Read 18322 times)

Offline AlexStewart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
RUTHERFORD, STORIE and OLIVER families
« on: Wednesday 01 August 07 17:56 BST (UK) »
Robert Rutherford, born in Maxton in 1829, married Margaret Storie, the daughter of William and Agnes Storie, in 1855. Robert's parents were Robert Rutherford born in Maxton in 1805 and Elizabeth Oliver born in 1805 in Bedrule near Jedburgh.
In the 1841 census I note that this Rutherford family were living at Lindean, Galashiels.
The Rutherfords lived in 1851 in Hassendeanbank Hind House in Minto, Jedburgh. Robert the son became a farm bailiff and went with his family in the 1870s to England and the Royal Agricultural College at Cirencester. He and his wife died at Wishanger, Headley in Hampshire where Robert was a farm bailiff until 1890. I understand his father Robert died in Newington, Edinburgh on 15 February, 1880.

Can anyone throw any further light on these families in the early 1800s and even earlier in the 1700s in Roxburghshire as it is proving very difficult to sort out so many Rutherfords and Olivers in that area!
Alex
Stewart:Donegal
Babington: Donegal and Londonderry
Patton:Donegal

Offline Sydenham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RUTHERFORD, STORIE and OLIVER families
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 August 07 11:59 BST (UK) »
Alex

What luck seing your post. Yesterday started on the Rutherford family that turned up in England (Cirencester and then Headley Hants)as my gran's sister Elizabeth Green married Robert James Rutherford in 1910 Lottisham Somerset son of Robert and Blanch(Kittow) and grandson of Robert and Margaret (Storie). They went to Kenchester, Hereford. At the time of the marriage Robert was - inkeeping with the family tradition - a farm bailiff in Sutton St Michael Hereford. At some stage the family then moved to Reigate in Surrey. I am seeing my cousin later this month and am putting together everything I can on her Rutherford line. I have got back to Jedburgh and the Olivers and Stories but only as far as the census and LDS will allow as I am stuck at home with a broken hip.

Love to chat with you.

Jan Walker

Offline AlexStewart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 August 07 13:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Jan, for that interesting reply. I shall contact you as you suggested.
Alex

Offline Terie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 August 07 18:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Alex and Jan, I recognized this Rutherford family as I researched them along with Brian and Dianne Dixon who live in New Zealand between 4 and 5 years ago,I still have my notes, as you know Rutherford is such a common surname in the Borders it is very hard to follow the branches, any way Brian and Dianne are also linked to the branch of Robert Rutherford and Elisabeth Oliver,they had the following known children;

Robert b 1829 married Margaret Storrie,9 children,
Thomas born 1830 married Margaret Helm,3 children.
John born 1831 married Isabella Sinclair,9 children,
George born 1834 married Gloriannah Stirling Aitchison,no children,
James born 1837 married Susannah Boyd,7 children,
Oliver born 1844 married Mary Marston,no children,
Helen born 1846 married John Fenwick Buchanan,at least 2 children.

Robert Rutherford born Maxton 1805 was the son of Robert Rutherford and Helen Buchan,also  Buckham,or Buchholm.
Robert and Helen also had the following children,
John Rutherford born approx 1794 married Betsy Kerr 1818,8 known children,
James Rutherford born 17th April 1796 Eckford, married 1st Mary Dixon,2nd Janet Airis,James Died 4th june 1868
George Rutherford born 1799 married Margaret Waugh,4 children,George died Jan 8th 1855,Linton.
Helen Rutherford born approx 1806 married William Kerr,3 known children,Helen died July 17th 1856,

My head starts spinning when I am looking at Rutherfords, I remember finding Robert Rutherford living in Cirencester on the 1881 census,
I will contact Brian and Diane again, I think their notes will be more organized than mine,
look forward to hearing back from you,
I have a distant connection to the family of John Rutherford and Betsy Kerr.

Amanda.
Robson,Hawick.
Dodds,Hawick
Huggan,Hawick.
Burns,Hawick.
Brash,Hawick.
Crawford,Lilliesleaf.
Hislop,Lilliesleaf.
Pollock,Roxburghshire.
Whillans,Wheelans,Scotland.
Kennedy,Ancrum.

Offline AlexStewart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 August 07 18:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much, Amanda, for your response. I have heard from Dianne Dixon who has sent me valuable information, and I am waiting to hear from her again. I do appreciate your contribution, and hope you will write again privately when you have gathered together your material.
Alex

Offline cornflower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 November 07 18:12 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather was Robert James Rutherford born in 1886, I know Maxton is associated with him. He married Elizabeth Jane Green.  He lived at Cirencester, then went to Hereford where my mother was born.  Eventually he moved to Surrey.  I believe that his father was the greatgrandfather of someone called John.

Offline AlexStewart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 November 07 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Good to hear from you as the grandchild of Robert James Rutherford and the great grandchild of Robert Rutherford and Margaret Storie of Roxburghshire. Robert James was the nephew of the Helen Rutherford who interests me. Would you ask members of your family whether they know anything about Robert and Helen in Cirencester in the late 1800s when their father taught at the Agricultural College. Does anyone have any early photographs? Very glad to hear from you privately.
Alex

Offline cornflower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 November 07 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Trying to trace backwards and forwards from Blanch Kittow, daughter of James Kittow. who married Robert Rutherford.  I have ground to a halt. There's a big gap in the middle of my family tree.

Thanks.

Offline cornflower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 November 07 14:11 GMT (UK) »
For Alex.
Re yours, all the older generation of my grandad's family are dead.  I wish I had become interested in the history when they were here.  They had wonderful stories, should have written it all down, but you know how it is.

:-[