Author Topic: RUTHERFORD, STORIE and OLIVER families  (Read 18323 times)

Offline AlexStewart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: RUTHERFORD, STORIE and OLIVER families
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 17:49 BST (UK) »
No, no, not rude or stern and no offence taken here!
Kind regards
Alex
Stewart:Donegal
Babington: Donegal and Londonderry
Patton:Donegal

Offline Darsy Sparrow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 07 May 15 03:53 BST (UK) »
I just wanted to get back to you . . . the information I have only goes back three generations from the Robert Rutherford I mentioned. The three generations I have before Robert show they lived in Nesbit, Knowe, and Hall. There are no dates for the first two generations (Nesbit and Knowe).

However my grandmother cited a resource you might find interesting:

http://www.rentalsoftware.com/rutherford-books.htm

and a description here of the same books
https://familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titledetails&titleno=347711&disp=Genealogical+history+of+the+Rutherford+f

My grandmother was able to track down these books somewhere and get useful information from them. It was part of her job to drive around the United States, and she used this to her advantage to search various places that kept records. I am sure she must have laid her hands on this book because she quotes part of it. She says that according to this book, the Rutherfords' records go back to the 12th century.

Unfortunately my grandma, currently in her 90's, suffers from dementia and is unable to provide any helpful information beyond what she left in her notes. I wish I could ask her questions. She once had a wealth of information in her head, and sadly when she did, I was too busy and too young to take the time to talk to her about it.

Offline AlexStewart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 07 May 15 09:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Darsy, for your helpful information from your grandmother. I am sure
she is right about the 12th. century, probably at the time the Flemings from Flanders
came to Scotland.
Your point about regretting that you had not spoken more feely about such matters to grandparents will find a sympathetic reaction from many of us who feel just the same. If only
we had asked more questions when we were young!
Kind regards
Alex

Offline Yaxley47

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 10 January 16 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Alex

What luck seing your post. Yesterday started on the Rutherford family that turned up in England (Cirencester and then Headley Hants)as my gran's sister Elizabeth Green married Robert James Rutherford in 1910 Lottisham Somerset son of Robert and Blanch(Kittow) and grandson of Robert and Margaret (Storie). They went to Kenchester, Hereford. At the time of the marriage Robert was - inkeeping with the family tradition - a farm bailiff in Sutton St Michael Hereford. At some stage the family then moved to Reigate in Surrey. I am seeing my cousin later this month and am putting together everything I can on her Rutherford line. I have got back to Jedburgh and the Olivers and Stories but only as far as the census and LDS will allow as I am stuck at home with a broken hip.

Love to chat with you.

Jan Walker

Offline AlexStewart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 11 January 16 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your interesting message.
I have replied by a private message to you.
Regards
Alex

Offline AlexStewart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 11 January 16 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Alex

"What luck seing your post. Yesterday started on the Rutherford family that turned up in England (Cirencester and then Headley Hants)as my gran's sister Elizabeth Green married Robert James Rutherford in 1910 Lottisham Somerset son of Robert and Blanch(Kittow) and grandson of Robert and Margaret (Storie). They went to Kenchester, Hereford. At the time of the marriage Robert was - inkeeping with the family tradition - a farm bailiff in Sutton St Michael Hereford. At some stage the family then moved to Reigate in Surrey. I am seeing my cousin later this month and am putting together everything I can on her Rutherford line. I have got back to Jedburgh and the Olivers and Stories but only as far as the census and LDS will allow as I am stuck at home with a broken hip."
Jan Walker

Jan
I have tried to send you private messages but alas I am told your inbox is full and I cannot send.
Thank you for your message after eight years!  I am sorry to hear about your broken hip.
Thank you for the information about your branch of the Rutherfords. They are not my family but I can give you the information I have on them back to 1786.
Thank you for letting me know about Robert James Rutherford. I have his marriage to your Elizabeth Green, but I did not know he was an Inn Keeper.
Please write again either by private message or on here.  The Inbox needs attention!
Alex

Offline AlexStewart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Yaxley47
I understand you need to post again in order to become involved in this dialogue about the Rutherfords as you have only posted once.
Please write again about your knowledge of the Rutherford and Storie marriage, and I shall reply and let you know of their parents and grandparents. I look forward to hearing from you again.
Regards
Alexander

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Yaxley47,

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

To reply to this topic please click on the blue "reply" button that you see just below the last reply on this thread (maybe mine)  If you are struggling there is a "contact support" button at the bottom of the first page of RootsChat for help.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk