Author Topic: Looking for Jacob DORMAN  (Read 6394 times)

Offline jadewing

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Grandma Ella Williams 1916
    • View Profile
Looking for Jacob DORMAN
« on: Saturday 04 August 07 05:13 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I've not been able to find any confirmed records relating to my 2G GF Jacob Gowland Dorman c1834-1870.

There is a possible sighting in the 1841 Census in Rotherhithe Surrey:
HO107/1067/5  84/39 Folio 44

Thomas Dorman    abt 1777       nbic Blacksmith
Margaret Dorman    abt 1811       nbic
Elizabeth Dorman    abt 1832      nbic
Jacob Dorman    abt 1834      nbic
Barbara Dorman    abt 1837      nbic

Barbara Matilda Dorman was b 21 Aug 1838 in Stepney (IGI C055783) married in Constantinople c1860 and died in Melbourne 1920.  According to her death cert mother's mn was Fenwick.

Jacob married Margaret Anne Fenwick (1834-1874, a cousin maybe?) possibly in Constantinople c 1855.  Children:

Margaret Jane b1856 Turkey m Alfred Adams 1876 in Surrey
Jacob Dorman b 1859 "
Thomas Simon b 1860 "
Robert Fenwick b 1863 "
Amy Dorman b 1870 London.

I've checked numerous Overseas records and I know he existed as his name is recorded on his children's birth certificates!  Any help finding any further trace of Jacob and/or his parents would be much appreciated. 

Thanks, Jane
Perth , Australia

DBY:  Walters. DUR: Dorman, Gowland. DVN:  Berry, Gent, Norman, Reed, Spurrell, Watts.  ESX:  Adams.  NBL:  Fenwick,  Jobson.  NFK:  Dewing, Goss, Herring.  SAL:  Bailey, Ball.  SRY:  Wicks.  SSX:  Baker, French, Pelling/Young, Parlett, Paine.  STS:  Bailey, Hanson, Penn, Radford.  YKS:  Dewing.  NI Co Armagh: Sergeant, Bradford. Wales: Williams, Owens.

Offline jadewing

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
DBY:  Walters. DUR: Dorman, Gowland. DVN:  Berry, Gent, Norman, Reed, Spurrell, Watts.  ESX:  Adams.  NBL:  Fenwick,  Jobson.  NFK:  Dewing, Goss, Herring.  SAL:  Bailey, Ball.  SRY:  Wicks.  SSX:  Baker, French, Pelling/Young, Parlett, Paine.  STS:  Bailey, Hanson, Penn, Radford.  YKS:  Dewing.  NI Co Armagh: Sergeant, Bradford. Wales: Williams, Owens.

Offline mwdorman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Jacob DORMAN
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 April 17 14:47 BST (UK) »
I have quite a bit of information on Jacob Dorman which I will supply shortly.  I have just signed on to this web site and need time to learn to navigate it.  I have photos and documents as well as anecdotal material about Jacob Dorman. The Jacob Dorman I refer to was a British engineer stationed at the British Consulate in Constantinople (Istanbul) and had children born there, one of whom was also named Jacob and who emigrated to Bowen Island, British Columbia, Canada and one of his brothers Robert was my great-grandfather.  His son Arthur Charles Dorman came to Hamilton, Ontario, Canada before the First World War.  If this is the line of Jacob Dorman you are interested in I will supply more details shortly.

Offline jadewing

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 April 17 01:32 BST (UK) »
Welcome MW!

I've been hoping someone from the Canadian line would surface sometime. And these are the Dormans I'm looking for :) I know a little about the Bowen Island Dorman line and Sarah Adams (Jacob The younger's wife) as my ancestor married her brother Alfred Adams. But the older Jacob has been incredibly elusive.

Can't wait to learn more. And photos!

Very excited,
Jane

Offline mwdorman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 April 17 15:10 BST (UK) »
Hello again.  I may have some family tree sections showing how the Dorman's and Adams's are connected as well.

Offline jadewing

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 11:06 BST (UK) »
Yes of course, I'd forgotten that Robert Dorman married another sibling Elizabeth Adams, so we have numerous connections. Once you have posted 3 times I will be able to send you a message with my contact details.

Through another 'cousin' we have established that Jacob Gowland Dorman was born Dec 1834 Chester Le Street, Durham, and married Margaret Anne Fenwick 12 June 1855 in Constantinople.

Offline mwdorman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 February 19 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello. Michael Dorman of Toronto here. I haven't contacted anyone for a while about the Dormans so I don't remember what info I have already sent.  I have been to Bowen Island a couple of times and once with my brother and went to the Bowen Island museum and got copies of a few documents about Jacob Dorman.  I can send more attachments of photos, pictures from histories of Bowen Island talking about an showing pictures of Jacob Dorman and family as well as info re my great grandfather Robert Dorman.  I know we corresponded for a while once I joined this site and my brothers and I would like to contribute and share where we can.

Offline jadewing

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 February 19 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michael, great to hear from you again! I'll pm you so we can exchange info more easily. Cheers, Jane