Author Topic: MAHER and FARRELL and ROURKE  (Read 8292 times)

Offline GazT

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MAHER and FARRELL and ROURKE
« on: Sunday 05 August 07 05:01 BST (UK) »
Hello.

I am trying to find the backgrounds of John Maher and his second wife Hannah Farrell, possibly from around Roscrea.

John Maher was born around 1814/15, the son of farmer Charles Maher and his wife Jane, maiden name unknown.

In about 1842, he married Margaret Casey, daughter of Thomas Casey of Roscrea. They had two children. Jane, born about 1844, and Charles, 1846, born at Ballydonagh. Margaret died sometime after that and John remarried.

About 1851, he married Hannah Farrell, daughter of farmer Timothy and Margaret Farrell, nee Rourke, and in November that year they sailed from Plymouth to Australia.

I posted this a while back on the Tipperary board, but am told I should really have been looking in Offaly. If anyone has anything on any of the names here, I would be most grateful.

Cheers
GazT

Offline CatherineOR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: MAHER and FARRELL and ROURKE
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 March 18 00:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I know it is quite some time since you posted this but I see that your search interest includes both Rourke and Maher from Roscrea. Both these families are related to me. Regards Catherine

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 March 18 07:25 GMT (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline CatherineOR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 March 18 07:59 GMT (UK) »
Yes, thank you for responding. They were Catholic and  I have challenged my poor eyes for many late nights in those registers and been rewarded. Best wishes, Catherine