Author Topic: USA births 1867,69,78  (Read 29811 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: USA births 1867,69,78
« Reply #72 on: Saturday 02 August 08 20:53 BST (UK) »
Not sure if we are getting into the names of the living, but there is a private message system for that....just hit the green scroll under the username of the person you wish to contact.  All the best, J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Sunday 03 August 08 19:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the caution, JJ.  As far as I'm aware no living people have been named on this thread.

Wendy and Cosmo - I will PM you with my details.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Sunday 10 August 08 23:17 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any photos of John Henry James and/or Marie Massereene Cordner or any relatives?  I have one photo of my Dad, but none at all of his relatives.

If anyone can help, I will PM my e-mail address to you.

Philip

Offline wendy beasley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Monday 11 August 08 08:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Philip,
I think I have one of each, maybe even one of Philip etc.  HOWEVER, they are in storage in Canada as I just sold up there and am in wandering mode for a while.  As soon as I have access I will send you copies of what I have. 
Wendy

Offline Mrs Anna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
William Henry Trewartha James
« Reply #76 on: Thursday 05 November 09 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phillip

I came across your details whilst trying to find out more about the Trewartha James.  I've registered on RootsChat but will have to do some more exploring when I have time as I can't now recover the chat stream I found where you were finding out lots about the family.  I don't know if you went much further looking at this lineage, but for what it's worth...

Anyway, I am the great-granddaughter of William and Alice.  Their second daughter was Dorril Vernon (not Dorris) who was my late father's mother.   It was wonderful to find out more too about great-uncle Derric - perhaps if I find myself near Loos I'll visit his grave.  The stories about the William and Alice family stream are that William and John were international mining consultants (I loved the snippet about how they chose their wives by tossing a coin!) and continued travelling after marriage, hence Dorril being born in Mexico city.  In 1903 William and Alice had another daughter, Iris Mavourneen, who became a ballerina and danced once as Iris James with Sadlers Wells in London.  She was always known as Jimmy and ended her days with us.  Dorril found herself a husband in another family of eccentrics - I believe the marriage was arranged and not awfully happy, although they had 3 sons and seemed to have lots of fun.  Funnily enough, her sister married her husband's cousin, although not til much later - history repeating itself... Dorril emulated her parents' life in many ways and on marrying bought a house close by in London and furnished it as similarly as possible.  I think the family was badly affected by Derric's death in the Great War.

Oh - the story I heard was that the reason the sisters double-barrelled their husbands' name was that they didn't fancy continuing to have the same surname after marriage when they'd been the same before.  Mary obviously won with double-barrelling her surname.  We don't know where the others found the Trewartha.  Interestingly enough, I always heard it that the brothers were William and Samuel, and I note from an earlier posting that Abraham of Gwennap had a son called Samuel so that must be where the muddle comes from.  I'm having trouble typing because the screen keeps flicking so excuse any mistakes!

Well, it's late so that's me done, but I wanted to say thanks for starting that stream that helped me to find out so much more about my family.

Anna

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Thursday 05 November 09 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Hallo, Anna - and welcome to Rootschat.

How lovely to hear from a relative!

Most of my Trewartha family tree should be on GenesReunited, although I have not kept up my subscription. I have various information and queries on various other internet sites but I have rather lost track of them.

I will send you a personal message with my e-mail address if you would like copies of the files I have on computer.  For anything I can't help with, Rootschat is a wonderful site full of helpful people.

Wendy Beasley (see below) is a great person to know.  She and I are descended from John Henry James.

It's fascinating to hear of another "Jimmy" James. John Henry had a daughter Norah Ruth Cordner James who was also known as Jimmy.

Hope to hear from you soon
Philip

Offline Mrs Anna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Sunday 20 December 09 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Philip

Well, that is a strange coincidence.  They would have been first cousins (on their mother's side - second cousins on their father's side - confusing!) so perhaps there is a link there.  We never knew why Aunt Jim was called Jimmy; her initials were IM so my father thought perhaps it was a play on that, but it is more likely she gained it later in life when she danced (ballet) under the name Iris James.  Dorril certainly always used her full surname: Trewartha James. 

I spoke to my cousin last night who is also very interested in family history, so hopefully he'll log on and join in the chat before long.  However, I think most of his research is on the line of Dorril's husband, Victor Fenton - another Irish link.  When it comes to eccentricity, I don't think we stood much of a chance with those two bloodlines!

with best wishes for a Happy Christmas and New Year,

Anna

PS - I don't know if you tried to send me a personal message but I wasn't able to access it.

Offline CHUNKY CORDNER

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 08:37 BST (UK) »
May i point out that the first world war had disasterous consequences on the psyche of that young and impressionable generation.  Full of Irish American zeal, Frank Cordner, then known as Frank Claud Cordner-James, or "Fluffy" at Felstead, abandoned agricultural College to enlist in the Royal Inniskillen Fusiliers at the age of 16, against his father's wishes, lying about his age.  He spent an almost solid three and a half years in the dehumanising hell of the Trenches, leaving one regiment as it departed and enlisting in the next to go up to the front line.  This had a detrimental effect on his mental health, leaving him with 80% disability from neurasthenia, or shell shock, to put it crudely.   the overall consequences were that he didn't feel he deserved to be alive, as 90% of his peer group had been annihilated in that same environment.  He also would get the sudden conviction of "What the hell am i doing here?" and depart for pastures new, even if it just meant moving house about every three weeks, months or even after a week in one case.  He could only tolerate a job for about 6 months, before having to seek fresh pastures, and alcohol was a permanent part of his diet, like almost all men who have served in the more serious armed services.  As a wanderer, he had his share of adventures, including the odd night in the cells for quite legitimate reasons, as any   traveller in south America can attest.  Not once did he commit a moral crime, unless you wish to include smuggling whiskey during the American Prohibition for a Chinese ship owner.
   His older brother, Phillip was injured in a motorcycle accident, medically discharged and later departed for Malaya as a manager of a rubber plantation and later as an importer/exporter.
His younger brother, Michael was manager at one time of the Calgary Gas Company, but suffered the Irish curse of being a serious alcoholic, and being very small, quite pugnacious!  Great fun, though.  The sister, Joan, i know nother much about, But as Wendy says, Norah the other sister was a spitfire pilot, amongst other things in the second war, ferrying them to the fighter fields.  Her banned book was deemed offensive because she had a character in it who was a lesbian.  This was her first book, Written during her convalescence from a serious illness, and was a best seller, being sold overseas and imported, but her greatest book was called, "I LIVED IN A DEMOCRACY".

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hallo, Chunky - and welcome to Rootschat.

Norah's autobiography "I lived in a democracy" gives some fascinating insights into the family dynamics, as does the will of John Henry James.

I am the grandson of Joan (1905-1970). I was not aware of a brother Michael - do you have any details on him?

All the best
Philip