Author Topic: advice needed please on address in 1853  (Read 3526 times)

Offline kathhale

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
advice needed please on address in 1853
« on: Tuesday 07 August 07 20:11 BST (UK) »
Hello,I wonder if anyone can advice me on if it is possible to find out who was living at a certain address in 1851.

I have a death certificate dated 1853 and on it the informant is named as William Hale address 10,susannah row Kingland road.
As the death certificate was issued in Hoxton Old Town,Middlesex,I am assuming that the address is in the same area.
I am trying to find out if the said William Hale lived at this address in 1851 or 1861.All my efforts so far have drawn a blank.
Does anyone know of an easy way to find out as I do not have a place of birth for William nor an age,although I believe that he was informing on the death of his father who was born about 1781 .
thank you for your time.Any ihelp gratefully appreciated kath   ???
sims london,essex ,lancashire
 hale wiltshire,essex,surrey
 terry scotland,lancashire
wilkinson lancashire
 hamer bolton lancashire
schofield lancashire
Wood manchester
stinton worcestershire
Nash bolton lancashire
connor ireland lancashire

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: advice needed please on address in 1853
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 20:25 BST (UK) »
you can do an address earch on the census, i don't have full access to these but don't put in any names just the address or even road / town and then go down / up page

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 20:31 BST (UK) »
Hi
You carnt do a street or road address search on all the census's, I think its only on the 1881 that you can

ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ricky1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Kath

The only way that I know is if you know the parish which the address is in and then see if you can find it on the enumertors district, it can take hours to find some, and even then there might not be a house number on the street.

regards

ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 21:10 BST (UK) »
Hi
You carnt do a street or road address search on all the census's, I think its only on the 1881 that you can

ricky

oh i didnt realise it was only available for the one census you can do an address search on the 1901 census site (not ancestry) 1901censusonline.com - which doesnt help here!
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline ricky1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Toni

I agree you can do it on the 1901 site, but not on the other census, that I know off, except for the 1881 which has an address search on it. Other wise its a long trawl through the census sheets ;)

ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 21:38 BST (UK) »
Anyone who holds counties for the different censuses on fiche can do an address search. I can do an address search for the 1891 census for London.
Other people will hold the fiches for different years for London.
I can search the 1881 census for the whole country from the orginal CDs.
The 1901 census can be done online.

Since people moved around so much in London particularly in the poorer areas, often staying one jump ahead of the rent man addresses can be very short lived. It is always best to ask for a search for a person giving as much relevant information about them as possible to aid a search in censuses.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kathhale

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 August 07 08:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone !
I knew it was a long shot but thought it worth asking.
will just have to wait and see if anything turns up in further research
thanks again,Kath    :)
sims london,essex ,lancashire
 hale wiltshire,essex,surrey
 terry scotland,lancashire
wilkinson lancashire
 hamer bolton lancashire
schofield lancashire
Wood manchester
stinton worcestershire
Nash bolton lancashire
connor ireland lancashire

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 August 07 12:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Kath,

I have an CD rom of the 1851 census- but my computer is poorly and in the PC hospital at the moment.

I am having to borrow my son's PC for now and therefore cannot access my usual programmes.

I hope  ::) to have mine back soon,and will then try that address for you...watch this space  ;D

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk