Author Topic: Missing COLLIER in Dewsbury?  (Read 9328 times)

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing COLLIER in Dewsbury?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 August 07 13:56 BST (UK) »
I wanted to clarify if the 1883 date was her birth date or christening date that is why i asked if she appears on the 1881 census before anyone says anything! :P

is it possible she was born in Canada? did the family have relations there?

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 August 07 16:52 BST (UK) »
good point Toni - with it being in the bible, it may be her christening date. There is an Isabela Collier born Leeds 1873 with her parents.
The one we are looking for isn't there with her family.
She could even be adopted by Catharine in 1883- we dont know  enough about the Canadian evidence I suppose.
I wonder where she used to say she was born?

Hopefully there may be a little more info. I have checked the Ellis Island site which took people into New York but don't know if tehre are any reocrds for Canadian immigrants.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 August 07 18:10 BST (UK) »
hello
doing my head in this one,trying everyting and not getting far.
j m collier 27 leeds
catherine 29 lofthouse
elizabeth may m 4  lofthouse
ethel mary m 2 lofthouse
sarah ann cook servant. horncastle lincoln.

george collier 72 born north frodingham
elizabeth 76 wife b seamer
elizabeth 14 born cleveland
ethel born 12 cleveland .

also on 1881
thomas lidster 68 seamer
ann lidster 44 born thornton scarborough
henry white 22 born falsgrave
isabella collier 4 born scarborough.

isabella was registered in 1876 as  isabella .cook. u. lidster. at scarborough.
in 1891 isabella was a servant at cloughton yorkshire.
no record yet of a death or marriage for this isabella yet

still looking lee

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Atack,Earnshaw,Holroyd.Holroyde, Craven.Rangeley,Gledhill.Sheffield.Brearley,Walker West Yorkshire
Crowther,Hopley,Lane,Riding.   Horwich- Lancashire.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 09 August 07 19:46 BST (UK) »
isn't it amazing how certain ones just get you and you don't want to give up. I know I keep saying we should wait and see what comes from Canada but then every time I come back I think 'I'll just have another look'.
I have looked at most of Catherine's family to see if she is with them but can't find her.
I have made up various scenarios as to what might have happened/ been.

If she is Catharine's daughter- then why is she not with her in 1891.

If the other two daughters are with their paternal grandparents - why? Is it because there was a scandal with another child - were they just helping out temporarily-sadly we willnever know this info so without some kind of evidence - we're stuck. ???

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 09 August 07 19:51 BST (UK) »
it even seems odd that her two girls were both E M - Ethel May and Elizabeth Mary and then she has Isabel Beatrix  :-\

Offline rupiezucki

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 10 August 07 05:33 BST (UK) »
WOW!  You guys are fast... so you want the whole sordid mess do you?   ;)

John Monkman Peacock COLLIER was from a family of farmers.  They are from the North Frodingham & Glaisdale bunch.  John became a solicitor.  Catharine was a 'dancer'.  The family tells me that they were not thrilled.

John and Catharine were married in Ilkley Parish Church.

The girl's full names are Elizabeth Mary Monkman Peacock COLLIER and Ethel May Monkman Peacock COLLIER.  George was George Edwin Monkman Peacock COLLIER.  Ethel was my great grandmother.  She is alleged to have emigrated with other family as a governess and ended up in Vancouver, Canada - where she married her first cousin, Christopher Scales (his mother was Sarah Jane COLLIER, sister to John MP).

Chris and Ethel were married in 1903, in Vancouver.  Elizabeth married Spencer Robinson in 1899, and attended Chris and Ethels' Golden Wedding in Vancouver in 1953.

The Monkman Peacock comes from the maternal side.  John's mother Elizabeth was Elizabeth PEACOCK, her father was Monkman Peacock.  The name was carried into the next generation by more than one of his grandchildren.

Catharine and Isabel are on a Vancouver census with an immigration date of 1893.  Catharine remarried - to Edgar Noseworthy on March 25th 1895 in Vancouver.

Isabel married Benjamin I Joyce in Vancouver on June 4th 1901.  They had a couple of children in Canada and then moved to Washington State where they has several more.  She is on various American docs as Beatrice, Beatrix, and Isabel, and the Collier is frequently mistranscribed as Collin.

It is VERY interesting that 'Aunty Bea' did not have the MP in her name, but I do not have her birth certificate.

I have no idea what caused John's death.  I have a newspaper clipping reporting it (Northern Echo), and it mentions that the local tradesmen closed up shop as a sign of esteem on the day of his funeral.

The HILL children frequently had the second name BENSON, from their mother.  I know Jane married a Bettany, so that is deifinitely them in 1891 - THANKS HEYWOOD!

now ...........

Florence is definitely a family name... and the age is right ......  (Ethel's first daughter was called Florence Elizabeth), I wonder if it possible that Catharine gave her daughter to her sister and then ran off with her in 1893. - either that or just lied to the census man.  Some of the things I have seen on other census records make me wonder how often they were lied to, or else just took the info from neighbors.

As far as Aunty Bea's birthdate - she definitely was not born before the 1881 census, and Canadian census age is right for 1883.

Toni - I have Catharine's birth info already - 17 Feb 1852, but if I recall correctly, she lied about her age on her 2nd marriage cert.  She was already several years older than Edgar, I guess she didn't want to make it worse.  BTW - I used to transcribe for freebmd - their own website is always more up to date than any of the pay sites that link to it - unless things have REALLY changed.
:o

As far as the emigration goes... all I know is that Catharine and Isabel came 'around the horn'.

Aunty Bea was close to Ethel and visited frequently until her death (in the 40's - she died fairly young), my dad remebered her well.  Unfortunately, he too has passed on, or I would ask him.

The Lidster conncetion:  Ann Collier married Thomas Lidster - that's where Isabella got the Collier from.

The 1883 date in the Bible is listed with all of the other children as a birth date, death dates are also listed where applicable, but no christening dates are given.

I have tried every variant I can think of, of all 3 names with BMD.  BUT - they are not finished transcribing yet (and they are always looking for volunteers, she said, subtlely).

The children went to live George and Elizabeth because 'Catharine couldn't handle them', but that could mean a multitude of things.

One small correction for 1881 - John was born in Kilnwick, but he reported as Loftus, Catharine was born in Leeds.

I think that is all I know about this... but feel free to ask other questions, you might trigger something.  I can always run something past my mother, who always says she doesn't know anything, until you ask a pointed question, and then she is amazed by what she remembers being told (she married into the Scales family, and only knows things secondhand, but, as my dad was virtually raised by Chris and Ethel - his grandparents - she has quite a bit in her sweet old noggin).

Than you all SO much for your help so far!

Rupiezucki

PS - I AM the Canadian connection, and this is all we have.  I have been trying to get in touch with the Joyce kids, but no joy so far.
Scales - Scarborough, Farmany, Ellerburne, Thornton, Pickering; Collier - Atwick, Lund; Lake - Norfolk; Ridley - Durham; Stokoe - Northumberland;
Monkman - Yorkshire; Peacock - Seamer; Umpleby; Cook; Hetherington - Northumberland; Whitwham - Sunderland, Ripon, Grantley; Robinson - Canada, Vancouver; Paton - Scotland, Auchtergaven

Offline rupiezucki

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 10 August 07 05:40 BST (UK) »
and if you really want to frustrate yoursleves....

I have NO idea where Ethel was in 1901.  Can't find her on a Canadian or British census...come to think of it, can't find Spencer ROBINSON and Elizabeth in 1901 either.

The family home in Scarbrough is now a bike shop.

Anybody have access to the old Scarborough papers?  Rumour has it that Chris left England just ahead of the law.  My dad says he hit a fellow in the head with his walking stick.... and the he marries his cousin .. what can I say....

;D

You can't pick your family.
Cheers
Rupie
Scales - Scarborough, Farmany, Ellerburne, Thornton, Pickering; Collier - Atwick, Lund; Lake - Norfolk; Ridley - Durham; Stokoe - Northumberland;
Monkman - Yorkshire; Peacock - Seamer; Umpleby; Cook; Hetherington - Northumberland; Whitwham - Sunderland, Ripon, Grantley; Robinson - Canada, Vancouver; Paton - Scotland, Auchtergaven

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 10 August 07 08:58 BST (UK) »
Hi rupie,
thanks for that - I knew you were the Canadian connection and am so glad that you have filled us in and all our work and interest was not in vain.
I was at the point where your summary ends re England

**no sight of Spencer and Elizabeth in 1901- wondered if they were visiting.

I had wondered about this:
1901 RG13; Piece: 237; Folio: 12; Page: 15.
West Central Hotel Bloomsbury London

Ethel May Collier  22 yrs nurse domestic born USA (American)

I can't see how she could be the same person - she would have to have paperwork I'm sure - but the 'nurse domestic' made me think of a governess kind of person (am I seeing too much into this)

Florence Elizabeth Young is living with her sister in 1901 - unless she emigrated later perhaps??

Offline hol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 10 August 07 09:48 BST (UK) »
hello
just been googling and found collier family forum .
there is a posting from 2001 in which someone called holly is tracing the same family.
all details are the same but also mentioned is another sister named ada who emigrated to america.
lee
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Atack,Earnshaw,Holroyd.Holroyde, Craven.Rangeley,Gledhill.Sheffield.Brearley,Walker West Yorkshire
Crowther,Hopley,Lane,Riding.   Horwich- Lancashire.