Author Topic: Wylie family in Antrim  (Read 7676 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wylie family in Antrim
« on: Friday 10 August 07 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hello team

I'm new to the Antrim (and indeed the Ireland) board, having thus far focused on English, Scottish and US research.  Aghadowey wisely directed me here as a beginner, so far as Irish research is concerned.

My 4x g-grandmother was Ann nee Wylie/Wyllie.  I have known for some time that she was born in Ireland, but only recently have pinned it down to Antrim through her 1903 American death certificate which helpfully specifies the county.

(I know that death certificates aren't the most reliable thing in the world, but the other US death certificates in the family specifying Scottish birthplaces have turned out to be accurate.  It looks as though the younger generations were reasonably clued up on their family history)

Here's what I have on Ann:

Birth: Sep 1818 (per 1861 Scotland census) or 18 Sep 1819 (per 1903 death certificate) in Ireland (1861, 1871 Scotland census, 1900 US census) Co. Antrim (per death cert)

Sister: Lilias or Lillias Wylie, b abt 1832 Antrim, lodging with Ann and family in Kilmarnock in 1851.  Lilias married a William Roberts in Kilmarnock, 1853 and lived in Scotland for the rest of her life, dying at the age of 90.

Parents: William Wylie and Mary Currie, both born Scotland (per Ann's death cert) but in the 1880 and 1900 US censuses Ann gave mother's birthplace as Ireland, father's as Scotland (NB Lilias' death certificate names parents as James Wylie and Mary Currie)

Marriage: to Robert J. Barnes b abt 1820 in Ireland, county unspecified, parents David Barnes and Hannah Spear, both born Scotland. (I have not found Ann and Robert's marriage, and do not know whether it was in Ireland or Scotland)

Children:

(1) Mary C. Barnes, 18 Sep 1842 Kilmarnock, Ayr (per all records, though no trace of a baptism found) - my 3x g-grandmother.

(2) David Barnes, b abt 1845 Ireland

(3) William Wyllie Barnes b Nov 1846 Ireland (per US records)

(4) Robert J. Barnes b Feb 1849 Kilmarnock

(5) Hannah Barnes b 1851 Kilmarnock died 1870 Dundee

(6) Ann Jane Barnes b 1856 Kilmarnock

(7) James Banks Barnes b 1858 Kilmarnock

Emigration: to Massachusetts on the "Batavia" in March 1872

Death: 1 Dec 1903, Medford, Massachusetts

Sorry for such a long post, but I know it often helps to have the detail.  I know a great deal more about the later, American stage of this family's life.  What I'd love to do is make progress with Ann's early life in Antrim - find a birth, any further siblings, more about her parents about whom I know nothing other than what is above, find her marriage to Robert Barnes and the births of their Irish-born children David and William.  I'd also love to find out more about Robert, though since I can't narrow him down to a county I suspect that may be more difficult.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated :)

Anna

Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Wylie family in Antrim
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 November 07 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anna,

What denomination are your Wylie ancestors?

I've looked at the 1861-2 extracts of Griffiths Valuations for Co. Antrim to see the parishes where the name Wylie was found ... Ballymoney, Grange of Drumtallagh, Kirkinnola, Shankill, Skerry.

The denomination and parish will be important as it may be difficult to trace records as Civil registration of births, marriages and deaths in Ireland only began on January 1st, 1864. Registration of marriages for non Roman Catholics began in 1845.

The fact that you know Ann Wylie married Robert Barnes may help as Irish Ancestors Surname Search shows that these surnames appeared together in three parishes ... Belfast city (Co. Antrim) and counties Derry and Down.

Christopher 

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 November 07 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Christopher - many thanks for responding; this part of the family contains my most intractable brick walls and I'll be extremely grateful for any help at all.

So far as denominations are concerned, the tricky thing is that I don't have a baptism record for any of the Barnes/Wylie children, and the OPR marriage I have for Lilias Wylie in Scotland does not disclose a denomination of marriage.  So the best I have is that two of the Barnes/Wylie children married in Scotland, as follows:

Mary C. Barnes married in Dundee in 1869 according to the Forms of the United Presbyterian Church

William Wylie Barnes married in Blairgowrie, Perth, in 1865 according to the Forms of the Independent Church of Scotland

Does that help at all? Probably not ???

Anna
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 November 07 09:57 GMT (UK) »
They were probably Presbyterians then Anna.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 November 07 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Yes, presumably.  Does that help on the Irish side of the water?

Anna

Offline Liz Barnes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 April 10 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Anna, I am the great-great grandaughter of William Wylie Barnes son of Robert & Ann.  I found your post last night and I was absolutely thrilled.

I have been researching my family for about 6 months and just this week I got into the records on Wm's family on Scotlands People.  This is where I found out that he was born in Ireland.  In every piece of info I have found he says he was born in Scotland, I am curious because you indicate that you had US records that show birthplace as Ireland.  I was afraid this might be a dead end because I had read that Ireland wasn't keeping statuatory records until much later.

I am afraid that I don't have much to offer you for your search as it seems you are at least one step ahead of me already but I would love to stay in touch regarding research if you are willing.  I will be forging ahead, I am a little obsessed lately!

I use ancestry.com mostly and i would be happy to send you an invitation to view my tree for any info.

I have never been on this website or posted to a forum before.  I joined just to respond to your post so I am not entirely sure how this stuff works but I hope you are still checking this post.

At any rate thanks very much for the detail packed post, you have given me a much appreciated break thru!!  All the best to you in your search. -Liz

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 April 10 21:38 BST (UK) »
WOW - Liz!  Welcome to Rootschat - and I am incredibly excited to hear from a cousin on this family branch.  This is fantastic :D

I hope you'll explore Rootschat and benefit from all it has to offer - but on this it probably makes sense for us to communicate directly.  Once you have three posts to your name (just add a couple more replies to this thread) we can communicate through Rootschat's personal message ("PM") system (accessible by clicking on a username, or via the little green scroll under a username in the left hand column.

I have 10 children for William Wylie Barnes and Clara Love Porter: Robert, William, Ann, Hugh, James, Clara, Thomas, Dora, Mary and George.  May I ask which is your great-grandparent? (Presumably one of the boys, if you're a Barnes).

Are you in the US?

(Cousin) Anna :)

Offline Liz Barnes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 April 10 22:53 BST (UK) »
Oh my Gosh - HELLO!!  This is incredible, I wasn't sure if you would see my post, since you had posted yours in 2007!!  It is so nice to meet you Anna.  Wm Wylie & Clara Love Porter are my great-great grandparents through their son James Augustus.  I am in San Francisco.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 April 10 22:58 BST (UK) »
Hello again Liz :)

One more post and you will be able to use the PM system.

I have two children for James Augustus Barnes and his wife Rebecca Thomas Barnes (nee Sullivan?): Herbert Ashley (died in infancy) and James Ashley, who must therefore be your grandfather - right?

Anna :)