Author Topic: Rossiter Families In County Tipperary  (Read 9809 times)

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "The truth is out there",Special Agent Fox Mulder
    • View Profile
Rossiter Families In County Tipperary
« on: Wednesday 15 December 04 07:43 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to track down the following Rossiter family and would appreciate any help.

The family consists  of:-

John Rossiter born about 1815
His wife Mary born about 1813
Mary and Elizabeth, their daughters born in about 1843 and 1845 respectively.

The family left Ireland and went to live in Emmett St Clair in Michigan, USA. Elizabeth aka "Lizzie" married George Christman in Trumansburg, New York in 1867.

The spelling of the Rossiter name may be different as it can be spelt several different ways e.g.Rosseter.

I'd appreciate any help in tracking this family down and would be pleased to hear of any Rossiter family in County Tipperary as they might be related. TIA.

best wishes

rcuser
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching Rossiter, Finn, Wright, Vaughan, Bloor, Acton, Clay, Moorhouse, Foxall, Hart, Knott and many other families

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rossiter Families In County Tipperary
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 December 04 07:53 GMT (UK) »
hi I can only finde 2 Rossiters

1  Mary Ellen Rossiter b 31/12/1870 237 Queenstown cork
father Micheal
mother Mary Hogan

2. Mary Rossiter b. 9/12/1868 683 clonmel tip.
father Richard
mother Margaret Markley

hope this helps
audrey

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 December 04 08:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Audrey,

Wow! That was quick. I've only just posted.

Thanks for the information. As this is my first post on this topic and yours is the first reply I'm not sure at this stage if the information is relevant but thank you for taking the time and trouble to look it up.

best wishes

rcuser

Researching Rossiter, Finn, Wright, Vaughan, Bloor, Acton, Clay, Moorhouse, Foxall, Hart, Knott and many other families

Offline jobree

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 May 06 06:34 BST (UK) »
Hello,
 Are you still researching this Rossiter Family from Emmett Michigan ? They are my direct ancestors. I think they were from Wexford though. I have a copy of a page from the family bible . John's wife Mary's maiden name was Duffy according to the death record of their daughter Mary Kennedy.John Rossiter died in Emmett. Land records say he came from Upper Canada. He purchased Land in Emmett in 1859. His Daughter Mary married Sylvester Kennedy in Emmett. I doubt Elizabeth ever married .  In 1860 & 1870 she was at home with her parents, 1880 She was living with her sister Mary . I can't find her in 1894. I don't know when John's wife Mary died but probably before 1880 as that is when Elisabeth is with her sister.  I would love to know if you have learned any more of this family. Thank you
         Sharon
My email address is not working sorry
Rossiter,Wexford- Duffy,- Kennedy,Kilkenny- Lannon,Kilkenny-Abbott,Cork- -Locke,Galway,-McGettigan,-Seguin,Norway,
France,-McPhail, Campbell, Cameron, Brisbois,

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 May 06 11:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon,

This is one of the families I have been following which stems from Thomas and Dorah.

Unfortunately, the writing on the image is extremely difficult to read. The Christian names seem to match the ones I have, but the information I have is very patchy.

I don't have a date or place of marriage for Thomas and Dorah but have their rough years of birth and death and those of their children.

I know that son John married Mary Duffy but have no details about her and have no date of marriage. I have the names of their two children but nothing else.

I have no details of marriage for any other of the other children( Mary, Anthony, Patrick, James, the two Lawrences, Johanna, Bridget). Bridget of course died the year she was born i.e. 1833 and the first Lawrence died when he was 4.

If you have any further information I should be pleased to see it, particularly if you can post the information from your family Bible as sadly, with my eyesight, I cannot clearly read the information you have posted.

Best wishes

rcuser

Offline jobree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 May 06 14:36 BST (UK) »
Rcuser,
  I would be glad to try and Type up the information on the Bible page. I'll do that tonight after work. You said you knew that John married Mary Duffy can I ask where you found this? I haven't had much luck finding anything on them. Do you know is "John the Husband of Mary Duffy" the son of Thomas and Dorah?  I live in Michigan and have visited Emmett with my mother.  You asked for a census lookup in Tipperary? I have them in Canada West prior to Emmett I though maybe they where there for the 1851 census or in Wexford? The top of the bible page  says" In the parish of Castol Ellis and in the barny of Baliugh Keen in the county of Wexford in the townland of Ballyboy" I may have misspelt some of those names but  that is very nearly what is at the top of the page. thank you very much for your postings!!
 Till later, Sharon
Rossiter,Wexford- Duffy,- Kennedy,Kilkenny- Lannon,Kilkenny-Abbott,Cork- -Locke,Galway,-McGettigan,-Seguin,Norway,

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 May 06 15:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon,

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

irish geography isn't my strong point, but I noticed at the top of the
RootsChat Wexford board,
there is a Castle-ellis listed.

This site:  http://www.cousinsfamily.co.uk/wexford/townlands.htm gives a list of townlands of Wexford, including this entry:

Townland       Acres   Barony           Parish           PLU
Ballybregagh   268    Ballaghkeen   Castle-ellis   Enniscorthy

So that looks like
"in the parish of Castle-ellis and in the barony of Ballaghkeen .... in the County of Wexford in the townland of Ballybregagh"

Hope this helps,
Bob.
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline jobree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 May 06 18:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you,
 I Thought the spelling may have been wrong, I'm sure those placenames you listed are the correct ones
 Thanks again
    Sharon

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 May 06 18:20 BST (UK) »
Rcuser,
  I would be glad to try and Type up the information on the Bible page. I'll do that tonight after work. You said you knew that John married Mary Duffy can I ask where you found this? I haven't had much luck finding anything on them. Do you know is "John the Husband of Mary Duffy" the son of Thomas and Dorah?  I live in Michigan and have visited Emmett with my mother.  You asked for a census lookup in Tipperary? I have them in Canada West prior to Emmett I though maybe they where there for the 1851 census or in Wexford? The top of the bible page  says" In the parish of Castol Ellis and in the barny of Baliugh Keen in the county of Wexford in the townland of Ballyboy" I may have misspelt some of those names but  that is very nearly what is at the top of the page. thank you very much for your postings!!
 Till later, Sharon

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for that. Berlin Bob has sorted your Castle-Ellis problem.

As for Mary Duffy, I think I got that information from another researcher. I have a lot of contacts.

As for John, he was the son of Thomas and Dorah but I can't recall who told me. Sorry.

Best wishes

rcuser