Author Topic: Kearney Family Ballymoon  (Read 21253 times)

Offline rbh2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kearney Family Ballymoon
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 17 July 13 19:50 BST (UK) »
I have a James Kearney in my line born on 1814 in Baynelstow, co. Carlow. He went to the US sometime before 1853. He married Anna Moore on Jan. 24,1853 in Woonsocket, Rhode Island at St. Charles Borromeo Catholic Church with witnesses Hugo Carmody and Julia Keough. They eventually settled in Elroy WI. Any chance of this being the Kearneys mentioned here?

Note: spelling of places from his obit (1907). Also in obit was "info" that he had been chased from Ireland by mis-government.

Offline cosmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 July 13 09:53 BST (UK) »
Hi  I hope I can help a little and bring the Kearney research further on. As previously recorded Pauline Kearney was my Grandmother's Aunt. Pauline was a daughter of James Cummins and Alicia Cullen who was a  niece of Cardinal Paul Cullen. She married Patrick Kearney and lived at Ballymoon which is just outside Bagnelstown in Co Carlow. When I went looking for my grandmother whose parents died of flu in 1892 within a day of each other she went to live with her aunt Pauline. I spoke to a local historian who told me that the Kearney family were well known in the area and that their grave stones were located in Ballyellin Cementry with Patrick marrying Pauline Cummins they must have been Catholic.
Could I suggest you write to Carlow Library to their Family History Service as the gentleman I spoke with was quite elderly at the time some 8 - 10 years ago and if he has died I know his papers were to be given in to the Library. He was able on that day to go to his files and read out to me the inscription on the relevant grave stone. As for family still on the spot the son who inherited the house and lands did not marry and died in Pauline's life time, her will grant to a son who was a priest her personal property,  it was suggested that she had a daughter who married locally and that she took over the property but I have not had time to follow this line.

Cosmo 

Offline cosmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 July 13 09:58 BST (UK) »
PMK   

If you still have papers in the store maybe they could throw some light on this family

looks like we are all connected.

Cosmo

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 25 July 13 16:43 BST (UK) »
The Cummins family you are looking for were origionaly from Coolnakisha Leighlinbridge Carlow. Only relations that I am aware of are/ were Herriots of Coolnakisha. Their mother(I think)was a Cummins and their uncle was John Cummins of Coolnakisha.He died about early 1960s and had lived in Australia in his youth.May have been involved in brewery over there.
McDonnell McDonald Gorman Cronley Colman Deegan Dunne Maher Dempsey Conlon Griffin Bergin Lalor Keys Bonham Brennan Hart(Laois) Nolan Byrne O Byrne Brady Mullen Hanaway Brennan Keeffe Reddy (Carlow)
O'Neill Doyle Donnelly Devlin  (Tyrone) Connor, Burbidge,McNally (Dublin)Hannon McCarthy (Tipperary)Healy Miley Treacy (Wicklow)Kelly (Kildare)

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 26 July 13 17:12 BST (UK) »
Sorry meant to say in my last post that the above came from an elderly neighbour whom, when asked about Kearneys knew the above plus a few more bits. Told me where they lived, which families locally were/are related to them etc. Knew that some went to Australia.Unsure as to how much more he knows as tends to ramble on a bit and can get sidetracked !If you are interested can ask him again or if you like then pm me and will give you contact details(he is 80 plus so ob. no email plus has no phone but sure that can be got around)
Found him to be very certain on his facts re. local family history (eg he told me a few details re. my own family and after much digging, research and checking records he was spot on ,even on (to me!) very obscure details.

Hope the above helps and if not then no problem.
McDonnell McDonald Gorman Cronley Colman Deegan Dunne Maher Dempsey Conlon Griffin Bergin Lalor Keys Bonham Brennan Hart(Laois) Nolan Byrne O Byrne Brady Mullen Hanaway Brennan Keeffe Reddy (Carlow)
O'Neill Doyle Donnelly Devlin  (Tyrone) Connor, Burbidge,McNally (Dublin)Hannon McCarthy (Tipperary)Healy Miley Treacy (Wicklow)Kelly (Kildare)

Offline rbh2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 26 July 13 17:25 BST (UK) »
Does he or anyone have any information on the 1800's. I am trying to find out if James Kearney born about1814 in ireland is connected. He died in1907 in Elroy, Wisconsin, USA. His obit said that he left Roscommon due to mismanagement of the government. James Kearney married in Woonsocket, RI about 1853 and moved to  Chicago, Kenosha, WI before Ning up in the Elroy area.

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 26 July 13 19:41 BST (UK) »
Sorry no.Its just Bagenalstown and its envoirns (county Carlow )that he would have knowledge of.

Does he or anyone have any information on the 1800's. I am trying to find out if James Kearney born about1814 in ireland is connected. He died in1907 in Elroy, Wisconsin, USA. His obit said that he left Roscommon due to mismanagement of the government. James Kearney married in Woonsocket, RI about 1853 and moved to  Chicago, Kenosha, WI before Ning up in the Elroy area.

Offline rbh2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 26 July 13 20:08 BST (UK) »
His obit said Bagenestown, Carlow . It also mentioned Roscommon so I thought they were close. I will post his obit once I get home.

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 26 July 13 21:35 BST (UK) »
His obit said Bagenestown, Carlow . It also mentioned Roscommon so I thought they were close. I will post his obit once I get home.

Well Bagenalstown Carlow would be about 100 miles by road from Roscommon.This would have been a major distance in the early 19th century ie more than half way across the country.
 Know that there were a few other Kearney families from the general Bagenalstown area unrelated to the family the op is interested in.If there is a Bagenalstown connection and you pm me the details will ask him.Know that one particular family of this name lived not 500 yards from my house about 50 years ago.