Author Topic: Parish Registers Lynn Dello?  (Read 13273 times)

Offline Juliefay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parish Registers Lynn Dello?
« on: Sunday 12 August 07 11:09 BST (UK) »
First let me say thankyou for such a fantastic site, and all the super people that give their time to help others. I have been trying without success for several years to find the Roots to my late husband (LYNN DELLO) Born 8/3/1935 he was fostered and raised in Dundalk, by a John McCann, who died aprox 1959. Now Lynns birth was not registered, (have spoken to Dublin register office) and cannot seem to find anyone with a name like that in Ireland, around that time or since, just recently thought I had struck gold in Dublin, turned out his name was Bello!!!Lynn died prematurely aged 46 in 1981. Can anyone help Please?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Registers Lynn Dello?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 August 07 11:47 BST (UK) »
A few ideas which you may or may not have considered:
It certainly is an unusual Irish name but are you sure he was born in Ireland? Dundalk is not far from border- could he have been born in Northern Ireland? or registered under another name?
What about Social Services records? was the fostering done on an official basis or could the family who looked after him been related?
Are there any of the McCann family alive who might have heard something about your husband's origins?
If he was raised as a Catholic then there should have been a baptism somewhere. Could the McCanns have baptised him after he went to live with them? In order to make First Communion a child must, as far as I know, have been baptised- if not done earlier could he have been baptised then (although he probably would have remembered this)?
The first name of Lynn is fairly unusual for a man and sometimes comes from a family name. It is very unfortunate that you haven't been able to find a birth certificate yet.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 August 07 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hiya Julie,

Welcome to RootsChat.

Bellow makes more sense to me than Dello as there were families named Bellow in the Dundalk area at the time of Griffith's Valuations - 1848-64. It's possible the name was written incorrectly on documents.

Michael Bellow, Newton Hamilton, Dundalk Street, Newtownhamilton, Armagh
Patrick Bellow, Kiltybane (or Lisleitrim), Newtownhamilton, Armagh
William Bellow, Platin, Duleek, Meath
Catherine Bellow, The Square, Macroom, Cork
John Bellow, Tully, Louth, Louth

If you Google "Bellow Dundalk" you'll see that there are still people with that surname in the town.

You may have problems since the adoption took place around 1935. The Adoption Authority of Ireland may be able to assist if you've not already tried them. The Adoption Board also holds a file on each adoption effected in the Republic of Ireland since 1953.

If Lynn was from Co. Armagh The Post Adoption Team in Northern Ireland may be able to assist you. http://www.sebt.n-i.nhs.uk They are at ... 33, Wellington Park, Belfast BT6 9DL Phone 028 9020 4500  Initial enquiries start at this point. Phoning form the Irish Republic or overseas 0044 2890 204500. Records in Northern Ireland are kept for seventy five years.

If the adoption took place in a different area in Northern Ireland the team will put you through to a person, who should be able to offer further assistance, in the relevent area.

Christopher

Offline Juliefay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 August 07 12:40 BST (UK) »
No I dont think it was a formal adoption, In fact I know it wasnt, but he was brought up a Catholic so thats why I wondered if maybe there was a baptism. He was brought up to believe his Mother died in childbirth but as I said Ive been in touch with Dublin and there were no deaths recorded around that time.(with a name remotely like that)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 August 07 12:52 BST (UK) »
If the mother died in childbirth around that time have you tried searching for a death certificate c1935 surname DELLO?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 August 07 13:00 BST (UK) »
What about the Electoral Rolls for Ireland in the 1930s ???

I'm still going with the name Bellow. I've just looked at Irish Ancestors Surname Search (based on Griffiths Valuation) and found that the only county in Ireland where the surname Bellow and the surname Lynn appeared in the same parish is Co. Louth. It sometimes pays to have a look back in time.

Offline Juliefay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 August 07 13:59 BST (UK) »
If the mother died in childbirth around that time have you tried searching for a death certificate c1935 surname DELLO?
   I am in UK but like I said I spoke to the Registry office in  Dublin, and they had a look for me, nothing.

Offline Juliefay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 August 07 14:02 BST (UK) »
What about the Electoral Rolls for Ireland in the 1930s ???

I'm still going with the name Bellow. I've just looked at Irish Ancestors Surname Search (based on Griffiths Valuation) and found that the only county in Ireland where the surname Bellow and the surname Lynn appeared in the same parish is Co. Louth. It sometimes pays to have a look back in time.
Thats an idea, how do you get to look at them?

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 August 07 14:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie,

The National Archive of Ireland may have them. If they haven't they should be able to point you in the right direction. I've sent a message to a member in the Dublin area to see if they know where the Rolls are kept.

Chris.