Author Topic: The Tradition of Keeping a Family Bible  (Read 3888 times)

Offline scottcharles

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
The Tradition of Keeping a Family Bible
« on: Sunday 12 August 07 22:01 BST (UK) »
Does anybody know of the history to keeping a family bible with genealogical information in? I'd never heard of that prior to joining RC.
BARTLETT - Plymouth, Devon
BIRD - Wiltshire, Somerset
BISHOP - Somerset
DESBOROUGH - Surrey?
EMERY - Bedfordshire
HALL - Walworth
HARDISTY - Leeds, Yorkshire
HAYWARD - Southwark, Surrey
LEDAMUN - Spitalfields, Middlesex
MONTAGUE - Bethnal Green, Middlesex
MYNN - Goudhurst, Kent
REYNELL - Newington Surrey
REYNOLDS - Soho, Middlesex
WREN - Midlothian, Scotland, Camberwell

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline joyce341

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Dad aged two in 1891
    • View Profile
Re: The Tradition of Keeping a Family Bible
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 January 18 13:02 GMT (UK) »
It was i think a way of keeping family records prior to registrations I spent a few years researching my dads family he was born 1889 and knew only of one sister but eventually found out a lot with perseverance but not sure if correct then a cousin i found mentioned her brother had a family bible he photocopied the information and sent me,this proved what i had found was correct could have saved me a lot of work lol :-)
Hickman,Cleobury Mortimer,Shropshire/Staffordshire, Parkes,Dudley,Beddoes Lindridge,Cleobury Mortimer,
Asker,Snettisham,Norfolk,Newby Howe,Kensington,SuffolkLawrence,Greenwich,Bermondsey.Putman,Kensington,Hertfordshire.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I was a beautiful baby, - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 January 18 14:09 GMT (UK) »
My late grandmother (born 1899) remembered her grandmother, a Catholic, using the entries in the family bible as a reminder - she would ask the parish priest to mention her deceased children in the mass on the anniversary of their deaths (my gt-gt-gran had ten children - eight of whom died before they reached 10 years old, my gran was one of twelve children of whom only 4 reached adulthood).

Given high mortality rates, recording events in a family bible would have ensured that family information was not lost when the "memory-keeper" died.

Philip
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Towcester/Weedon - ALLEN, BASFORD, MAY       Fakenham - WILLIAMSON       Hempton - WRIGHT, LOVELL       Bethnal Green - MONKS and LARCHER
Southwark - MOUNT, BOWBRICK        Clonakilty to Southwark -  CRISPIN      Lambeth - LYON       Hoxton - WALTERS     Gwennap - JAMES, GRAY, TREWARTHA       Antrim - CORDNER, SANDYS         Peru - SOTELO, MOREY, BASELLI

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 January 18 14:22 GMT (UK) »
My family have one - now kept by my brother.
Separate pages for Births, Marriages and Deaths - it was very useful when I started ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)