Author Topic: Conway Mountain  (Read 15122 times)

Offline Brains

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Conway Mountain
« on: Monday 13 August 07 04:35 BST (UK) »
HI Anyone,

Does anyone know if  people still walk up Conway Mountain,
I used to visit  Conway when I was a young girl, My Grandma had a Caravan there, the Caravan site was opposite the Mountain, just wondered if the Caravan site is still there??
the last time I was there was when I was 17 in 1963. I am now 61. I spend many days climbing the mountain  then going over the other side, and down through a farm cottage, and finished up at a little cafe near Conway Quay, where the Littlest house in Great Britain is.
Just wondered if any one has any old photos of  arround that time of the caravan site,  Unfortunately I dont know the name of the Caravan site.   Or any photos of  Conway Mountain.
I remember there was a long walk to the beach there, and there was swings.
Appreciate any help thanks.

Regards
Barbara Mcvey(Leah) from Australia.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Conway Mountain
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 August 07 05:44 BST (UK) »
Barbara - if you do a google image search for "smallest house in Great Birtain" many images will come up. It really looks beautiful too !

This one looks very good:
http://www.francisfrith.com/search/gwynedd/conwy/photos/conwy_photos.htm

Have alook at the last paragraph on this page. Might this be your caravan park?
http://www.icaravans.com/tourist_attraction_14_Stunning%20Conwy%20-%20North%20Wales.html

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 August 07 05:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara

If you look on flashearth at this link you will see the caravan parks are still there!

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.285711&lon=-3.846267&z=14.8&r=0&src=msl

I left the area in 1975 but a visit "home" last year confirmed it is still as beautiful as ever!

Heather
(in Vancouver)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 August 07 06:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara

If you go to the link below and search on Conwy Mountain, there are several photds, Just make sure you use the top search field
Andy

http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php

Offline Eli G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 January 10 18:22 GMT (UK) »
The caravan park is called Pendyffryn Caravan Park and is still there, close to the A55 (which wasn't built then.) It is in a place called Dwygyfylchi, next to Penmaenmawr. The mountain you climbed to get over to Conwy is called Alltwen.

Offline liverbird09

• RootsChat Veteran
  • socken
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 January 10 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara,
When I read your post, the memories came flooding back..it was during the 60's when I stayed at the caravan site, I recall it was on Morfa beach and I think that was the name of the caravan park at that time.
We would walk over the railway bridge, cross the road and climb the mountain, it was great. Simple pleasures then. :D
It has changed a lot with the A55 fast tracking through the area. Drivers still honk their horn when driving through the tunnel on the way to and from Penmaenmawr! Maybe someone can tell us what that is all about?
Jean

Offline Eli G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 January 10 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I was on the wrong side of Conwy mountain!

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 January 10 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Brains,

I can confirm that Conwy Mountain has changed very little in the years I have been walking up it. It remains a beautiful place which is quiet and away from the madding hordes.

My father was up there with the army in the period 1943-45. They used to test explosives up there in the Second World War. He liked to venture there in the 1960s and recalled his bygone army days.

The favourite walk was up to the mountain along the road out of Conwy and all along the top down into Sychnant Pass, on to Dwygyfylchi and a cup of tea!

Jo

Offline Bobedge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi, I was just remembering about my holidays spent in Conway at the Morfa site and so I checked it out on the computer. I came accross this thread. The caravan site has now changed quite a lot. It is now much smaller.
In the 60s and 70s the place was crammed full of excited holidayers, trudging up and down Conway mountain, along the road or beach into the town. The beach was always full of people and the sun always seemed to shine. You could buy a "Nickerbocker Glory at the site Cafe, and fish and chips in the evenings.
Nowadays, the path up the mountain from the bridge is fenced off. the beach is usually deserted. and the caravan site is a much more quiet and reserved place.
It has lost some of it`s magic. Conway is still beautiful But I suppose everything changes, and not always for the better.