Author Topic: Watts family Enfield?  (Read 4031 times)

Offline Peewee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Watts family Enfield?
« on: Wednesday 15 December 04 17:00 GMT (UK) »
I'm stuck again! One of you kind souls (thanks Jonathan) found my gt grandfather for me. But, despite trying, I am still stuck in tracing my family name back further.

Samuel Watts was born, according to the 1881 census, in C1838 in "Rome (sub) England". Anyone know where Rome (sub) could be in England as I cant find a place called Rome anywhere in the UK. He later married an Eliza Le May who was born in Bethnal Green C1840 and returned there after Samuel died at sometime between 1881 and 1901.

I think he may have married later in life as there was a rush of children born between 1876 to 1883. Samuel jnr C1876 William C1877 Maurice C1878 & Edward C1883. In the 1881 Census he was living at 30 Ellesmere Road, Enfield. As he was a gunmaker I assume he was working at the Royal Small Arms factory in Enfield.

I doubt whether he was married before his wife was 16, therefore not before 1856, and he would have been married by say 1875.

As I dont know where "Rome" England, his birthplace, is Im stuck and dont know where to start looking. Is there any chance anyone can trace Samuel in the 1871, 1861, 1851 or 1841 Census' to give me a lead on his parents etc.
Any other advice would be appreciated.
It was a lot easier on my mums side of the family who are Somerset folk. They have not moved more than 3 miles since 1788 until the present day! Oh thats except me and I live in Spain. Always was the black sheep of the family.
Watts  - Middx, Bethnal Green, Romford Essex
Palmer  - Nether and Over Stowey Somerset
Symons- Bishops Hull, Taunton, Bishops Lydeard all in Somerset
Coles - Somerset
Loddy - Pimlico London , Devonport
Le May - Bethnal Green, London

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
Re: Watts family Enfield?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 December 04 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Peewee

Having looked at the original 1881 image, I would say that Samuel was born in Rome, as in Italy!  The sub part refers I think, to the fact that he is a British Subject and not an Italian National.

The entry reads.  Rome (there is then an inserted squiggle, which could be an abbreviation of Italy) England, and then sub.  The sub and squiggle seem to have been an afterthought, so perhaps the enumerator put these in when he realised that the entry looked odd.

Just my spin :D

Rick
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 December 04 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Do you have their marriage cert ? Does it give his fathers name and/or an address for 1871.Are there any witnesses on it,they have often proved to be the clincher to finding people.

Been trying to tie him down to 1871 census but having trouble.Do think I've found Eliza though- working in Essex as a servant-age 31.
And if they married in 1871-how come there aren't any older children.
No TV in those days don't forget  :D

Marriages Jun 1871

Lemay  Eliza     Hackney  1b 632   
WATTS  Samuel     Hackney  1b 632   

Hope this helps

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stuck62

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 December 04 18:57 GMT (UK) »
I checked with www.mapquest.com and there is know listing for Rome in the United Kingdom

Shelley
my England surname
Tuck of Norfolk, England
Parish of Bury St. Edmunds, England
Watts, Paddington, London, England
Leonard/Coates