Author Topic: Great Yarmouth marriages 1887 -SMITH /EARL  (Read 2156 times)

Offline trueblue

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Great Yarmouth marriages 1887 -SMITH /EARL
« on: Wednesday 15 December 04 21:09 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find the details of Samuel SMITH who married Mary Ann EARL  b.1859-60 in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, can anyone help with his age / full name / mother or father details etc?
Happy Xmas!
Francham, Godbolt, Earl, Bailey

Offline becca.morgan

• RootsChat Member
  • Always searching...
    • View Profile
Re: Great Yarmouth marriages 1887 -SMITH /EARL
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 December 04 13:38 GMT (UK) »
There are LOTS of Samuel Smiths born around 1860 in the Norfolk area from North Walsham, Burnham Market, Hempnall, Trowse, Guist, Westgate, Gresham... the list goes on. Have you got any information at all about the area in which he lived? Would you like me to research Mary?

Thanks

Becca  ;D
Hagan, Hagon, Yarham, Pawley, Digby, Knowles, Coker, Coates, Jordan, Jarvis, Williamson, Lake and Hall in Erpingham district and surrounding areas, Norfolk. Morgan, Wogan, Thomas, Phillips, Morris, Davies in Pembrokeshire, Wales. Stevens, Davies, Cave and Tingey in Walthamstow area, London.

Offline trueblue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 December 04 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Becca,
        All I know is he lived in the Great yarmouth area but might have come from Gorleston which at that time was in Suffolk. His son was Samuel Henry Smith!

Any use?

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 December 04 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi trueblue

The safest route would be to purchase a copy of the 1887 marriage certificate.

Like Becca says there are loads and loads of Samuel SMITHs.

Have you not found them on any census?

When/where was the son Samuel Henry born?

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trueblue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 December 04 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Son Samuel Henry Smith was born 30/04/1895 9 however the year might be wrong but at the earliest 1890 in Great Yarmouth!

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 December 04 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi trueblue

1901 census:

This looks to be a bit out datewise but there is a Samuel A SMITH age 2 b.Gt Yarmouth in the 1901 census at 26 Calmerston Road, Woodstone, Northamptonshire.  Parents Samuel SMITH 26, railway engine stoker b.Gt Yarmouth and Mary age 25 b.Gt Yarmouth

RG13/1461 folio 76

There is a Samuel H SMITH in Gorleston age 6 but he was born Beightohn, Norfolk and his father was George E SMITH.

RG13/1815 folio 123

There is a Sam Harry SMITH age 2 b.Norwich in Yarmouth but his father was Harry H SMITH

RG13/1811 folio 23

There is a Sam SMITH age 2 in Yarmouth but he was born London. His father was Joseph.

RG13/1809 folio 27

These are the only Sam SMITHs that I could find being born Yarmouth 1891-1901.  I didn't even bother looking at all the others in the county that didn't mention Yarmouth.

What information do you hold already for Samuel Henry SMITH?  Where did you get his date of birth from?  Do you have a marriage certificate?  It looks like you are going to have to tread so very carefully with all these SMITHs and I certainly wouldn't like to see you following the wrong tree.

Maybe it would be a good idea to post everything that you have on Samuel Henry SMITH junior.  That way we can help you to check it all and maybe even look at other ways to try and sort this out.

Best wishes

Casalguidi

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline becca.morgan

• RootsChat Member
  • Always searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 December 04 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I tried searching, but there are just so many Smith's in the area its absolutely impossible without a birthplace / age / area.

Thanks

Becca ;D
Hagan, Hagon, Yarham, Pawley, Digby, Knowles, Coker, Coates, Jordan, Jarvis, Williamson, Lake and Hall in Erpingham district and surrounding areas, Norfolk. Morgan, Wogan, Thomas, Phillips, Morris, Davies in Pembrokeshire, Wales. Stevens, Davies, Cave and Tingey in Walthamstow area, London.

Offline trueblue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 December 04 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks ever so much for the efforts you have put in,

Samuel Henry Smith married Florence Godbolt 16/09/1915 in Great Yarmouth, they had five children inc' Ethel Amy Smith born 25/09/1916 and Florence Smith born 23/07/1931. Its believed that Samuel Henry Smith came from Gorleston! and worked on Steam Drifters oused in the fishing industry. Very little is known of his father Samuel except he married Mary Ann Earl in December 1887 in Great Yarmouth, 'rumour' is they parted and he may have gone to prison but this is a vague thought of a living elderly family member!
 :)

Offline becca.morgan

• RootsChat Member
  • Always searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 December 04 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info, i will try researching again.

Becca  ;D