Author Topic: Emma Esther Masters b1821 Guernsey  (Read 6816 times)

Offline pavane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Emma Esther Masters b1821 Guernsey
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 31 January 08 07:13 GMT (UK) »
We do have a note that Robert Smith was born 14th June 1821 in Langport, Somerset, but I am not sure whether we have confirmed that this is the right one.
(Info from a Jill Crawford.)
Jennings (Somerset), Sievers (London and Netherlands), Richier (Netherlands & Germany), Chappuzeau(Germany),Garner (London) , Smith (Guernsey), Brand (London and Germany),  Burney (Liverpool & London), Oakley (Wales), Creek (Wales & Devon)

Offline pavane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 31 January 08 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Children of Robert George Smith from St Peter Port, Guernsey.

There were many family legends about
1)   how he was descended from a wealthy family who disowned him when he married a factory girl
2)   that he owned a factory in the East end which burned down before insurance was common.
3)   He was descended from a ‘Sir Robert Smith’ who had a street in Jersey named after him
4)   There was a tale of a ‘Major Sir Robert Smith’ as an interpreter  -  cannot be traced
5)   He (the interpreter) spoke 19 languages

In reality, it looks like his father was a tailor and draper living in Guernsey, but born in Somerset in 1821

He married Ronella Mary Elizabeth Garner in 1892, when they already had 3 or 4 children. She also had one child before they met, probably illegit., whom she passed off as a sister. (Katherine Clegg Garner)

Descendants of Robert George Smith and Ronella Garner

Gwendolyn (“Queenie”) Smith b1885
Married William Bramwell, lived in Scotland
Descendants in NZ and South Africa
===============================

Ronella Ethel Smith b 1888 London St George E
My Aunty Ethel (actually Great-Aunt)
+ Stanley Starling
Remembered for making home-made wine. I still have his pressure cooker.

Living descendants in UK

==================================

George Robert Percy Smith b 1890 married Rose Richards
Living descendants in UK

=================================

Albert Howard Smith (Toby) b 1892 – went to CANADA (Niagara)
Living descendants in Canada

==================================

Elsie Mabel Florence Smith 1896-1979?
My grandmother.
Used to play piano, accompanying her husband to entertain the elderly. I remember her telling us that the piano lessons were 3d, but the best in class each week had the money returned, and it was usually her.
She tried to play for us, but her arthritis was too bad.

===========================
Dorothy Isobel Smith b 1900
Great-aunt, “Aunty Dorothy” All I can remember are her home-made pickled onions!
+ Bernard Wilkins
Used to dabble in photography. Helped me develop and print some photos in his cellar c1961

One living descendant, unmarried
Jennings (Somerset), Sievers (London and Netherlands), Richier (Netherlands & Germany), Chappuzeau(Germany),Garner (London) , Smith (Guernsey), Brand (London and Germany),  Burney (Liverpool & London), Oakley (Wales), Creek (Wales & Devon)

Offline pavane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 February 08 08:11 GMT (UK) »
George Smith and wife Elizabeth are present in the 1841 census at North Street, Langport Eastover, Somerset. I don't have the reference, this was from an email.

Offline pavane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 February 08 08:37 GMT (UK) »
From the LDS site, via a family member:

Thomas Maisters christened 2/9/1775, Bo'Ness, West Lothian, Scotland
Son of Thomas Maisters and Elizabeth Scott.

Offline The Devine One

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 11 April 15 13:56 BST (UK) »
Pavane

Sorry it's taken a while but hopefully it's worth the wait, Emma Esther Masters and Robert Smith were married at Ebenezer Chapel, St Peter Port, Guernsey on 24th August 1846. I'm afraid I cannot help much with their parents apart from that Emma's mothers name was Anna and Robert's father's name was probably George and he was an agricultural labourer from Langport Eastover, Somerset.

I would love to compare notes with you on this family and especially hear about this family legend about Sir Robert (I was told it was Sir George)

Steve

Offline pavane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 12 April 15 21:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks Steve,
Yes I think you are right, it was Sir George in the legend.
Thanks for the info
Neil