Author Topic: Gearing Mary Adelaide  (Read 2674 times)

Offline somerlea

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gearing Mary Adelaide
« on: Thursday 16 August 07 16:45 BST (UK) »
I wonder if any of you lovely people could help me bring down my brick wall?

My great grandmother Mary Adelaide Gearing married Thomas Joseph Dickeson 26th Dec 1894, Christchurch Southwark.  I have their original certificate.  Her father is given as John Gearing (decd) occ: painter.

I have found Mary A and Joseph and family in 1901 census, and know lots about them in the 20th century,  BUT....

I can't find any trace of mary Adelaide before she was married:

Her birthday was 26th July, we believe (from Marriage cert) that she was born in 1871, but she is not in birth index (I've searched all the variations I can think of for 5 years either way, looking at the original images on ancestry, and also free BMD for 10 years either way).  I can't find her for definate in censuses either, though I have followed up a number of possibilities.

She had two sisters that I know of; 'Em' died in 1940 in a bombing raid, with her husband (I don't know his name).  They were sheltering in a basement, and a piano fell through onto them.  Mum has inkling she was blind, but whether this just from age I don't know.  The other sister, Jessie, was believed to have married a bargee, certainly she lived on a barge in the Medway area. Jessie's married name may have been Miller or Morgan, and she may have had a daghter 'Bee'.

Mary Adelaide was supposed to have worked in a cigar factory before her marriage, and as far as we know she was born and raised in Southwark/Lambeth.

Her mother's name have been Ann

Sorry this is so long, but I don't want to waste anyone's time looking for what I already know

Irene
Chuter, Dickeson, Gearing, Sheldrick/Sheldrake, Dewar, Bates

Offline aliceaevdb

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Gearing Mary Adelaide
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Irene,

Stumbled across this whilst looking for my Dickeson's - your Thomas Joseph is probably in my tree somewhere; my family are originally from the Battersea/Wandsworth Area and we have lots of Thomas's and Josephs!

Not sure if you have found the information you need or not...

I have had a search and have not been able to find anything either, however there is a public tree on A******y which shows a Mary Adelaide Gearing - Mother Annie Thackery, Father John Gearing. Sister: Jessie Gearing 1975 - 1939. Jessie married a James Measures according to this tree, and they 8 children. Unfortunately none of these are named Beatrice, or anything which can be shortened to 'Bee'.

This tree is unsourced, and I can't find a marriage record for Thackery/Gearing

It may be worth contacting the member of the tree if you can, as it seems that they may have 'family' history which enabled them to put the tree together without sources.

I'm sure our Dickeson's will cross at some point - I'm beginning to feel that we populated half of Battersea! And I thought this spelling (as opposed to Dickenson/Dickinson/Dickerson) was unusual... no such luck!

Dickeson, Bradley, Smith, Duffield, Banks: Wandsworth/Battersea/Lambeth/Clapham/St Andrews London.
Bottomley: Chelsea/Middlesex
Sharman: Suffolk, Norfolk
Wisker: Hampshire, London

Offline somerlea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 20:48 BST (UK) »
Hi there, thanks for your reply. 
Yes we did find Mary Adelaide eventually.  But... she was born Holborn 1868, not Southwark, in 1868, not 1871, we still can't find a birth certificate, but have found a baptism.    Her mother Ann remarried a James Thackerry, around 1875, and was with the Measures family in 1901.   
Thomas Joseph's father was William, a brass finisher/brass plate maker.  He was a much married gentleman, with quite a few children (cant remember how many off the top of my head) His father was John Henry Dickeson, a hatter,(from marriage certs),  but I haven't found anything pre 1837 for William yet.   Thomas Joseph's mother Sarah came from Henley-in-Arden, but I haven't done very much on her line yet.  I haven't found anything in Battersea or Wandsworth, but its not impossible
It's possible the tree you found is mine - I'm reluctant to put too much on public trees, and rarely quote sources, which I use as a double check when people contact me.
Irene
Chuter, Dickeson, Gearing, Sheldrick/Sheldrake, Dewar, Bates

Offline aliceaevdb

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 21:00 BST (UK) »
Glad you found them!

I'll keep you posted if I find links between our trees, or for John Henry. I am looking in to a John Henry at the mo. but can't be sure of all of the details yet - got a few blanks so can't be sure if it's 'your' one!

Ah that's a good idea. I really wanted to keep my tree 'public', but certain things prompted me to make it private. It's a shame that there isn't a 'partial view' option - eg names and born/died only. Once I download the Gedcom (?) programme I might keep a full version just on my comp and publish a partial - especially as I have originals of certs. not available online which I'd like to attach without finding them linked to the wrong person the next day!

Alice  :)
Dickeson, Bradley, Smith, Duffield, Banks: Wandsworth/Battersea/Lambeth/Clapham/St Andrews London.
Bottomley: Chelsea/Middlesex
Sharman: Suffolk, Norfolk
Wisker: Hampshire, London

Offline summer days

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 22:26 BST (UK) »
Mary's sister Jessie Gearing came down from London to Kent with her husband James. James was a silk Hatter. They then moved back to London for a short time on there own leaving there children in Kent being older Married etc. When James Measures passed away Jessie came back to Kent. Jessie died at her daughters Mary Dickeson (re Gearing).

On the post above The lady put Miller. Miller and Woodley were witnesses on Jessies marriage, William Miller married Jessies sister Ann B.1867, also Woodley was the husband of Jessie's sister called Emily. Emily along with her husband died in the war when a bomb hit the house they were in.
Jessie didn't have any child called Bee, unless one was known by a middle name. Her first child was also called Jessie. Jessie has 12 children, and 5 died.

My tree is very trial and error because I have no birth for Jessie, or her mum Ann. I think Ann was a Witton and her dad was William Witton, but I have no records or census.

On Jessie marriage her dad reads Henry Gearing, but Jessies mum Ann her was married to John Thomas Gearing. John had died before Jessie was born so isn't Jessies dad.
I to can't find a birth for Jessie like with Mary.

Any help on finding Jessie baptism, or Mary's to help find Jessie would be great.

Jenny

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 23:23 BST (UK) »
According to her profile, Irene (somerlea) hasn't been online here since 2011.

As long as her email address hasn't changed, she should receive a notification that you have posted and hopefully come back soon.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea