Author Topic: MacKenzie's of Fodderty and Ullapool  (Read 65668 times)

Offline dmackenzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: MacKenzie's of Fodderty and Ullapool
« Reply #27 on: Friday 22 February 08 03:27 GMT (UK) »
Chris,
In the 1841 census they sometimes rounded the ages so if she's listed as 30, she could be anywhere from 25-34, so she may or may not be the same one. So her birth place is given as Cromarty (the town) and not Ross and Cromarty (the county)? On her death certificate, does it not record her mothers name? It should also have her birthplace listed which you could use as a double check.
Darryl
MacKenzie, Stewart, McKay, Baxter

Offline chrislb

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 23 February 08 06:16 GMT (UK) »
All it says on her death certificate is "widow of James Harris Innkeeper" Age 69.  No mother's name and no place of birth.

and yes the 1851 census does say Cromarty Scotland so could well be the town rather than the county...... either way it hasn't helped much.  In 1861 the family are in Withyham Sussex and Elizabeth is 44.  In 1871 census she is merely from Scotland and is 56.  Interestingly I had a lot of trouble finding them in the 1871 census.

Chris. 

Offline chrislb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 24 February 08 11:26 GMT (UK) »
ok stupid question time - Cromarty the town is in Cromarty the county yes????  Ross & Cromarty County even......

:)

Offline dmackenzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 24 February 08 20:37 GMT (UK) »
 :) Ross and Cromarty stretched from the west to the east coast, from just north of Inverness. If you google 'ross and cromarty' you should get some good links popping up. Cromarty is a town (and parish) within Ross and Cromarty, on the tip of a small peninsular known as the 'Black Isle', just north of Inverness.

Darryl
MacKenzie, Stewart, McKay, Baxter

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 24 February 08 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris

here's a link to a Parish Map that might set it in perspective:

http://scotlandsfamily.com/parish-map-caithness.htm

It's of the three norther counties - Caithness, Sutherland and Ross & Cromarty

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline chrislb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 24 February 08 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gadget and Darryl.  :) 

Offline chrislb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 27 February 08 01:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi again :D

Ok so I have searched both the OPR on Scotlands People and Familysearch's IGI and have come up with what I think looks like very strong candidates for Elizabeth's parents.

I followed up on the James McKenzie/Margaret Bain marriage (18 Sept 1801 Cromarty) which I found on the IGI (as suggested by members on this site :) ).  I then went to Scotlands People and searched there and found a christening record for Eliza (as previously noted) in May of 1807 (as well as Margaret 1805 and Williamina 1809) daughter of James McKenzie Mason (occupation stonemason??? )and Margaret Bain of Cromarty.  Does anyone else think this is a likely match?? 

Regarding the OPR record for Eliza - I viewed the scanned record and it does look as if 'Eliza' may well have been Elizabeth but it is not entirely clear though.  Question- as far as I can see from the image all the children (not just McKenzie's) have the first name followed by what looks like a second initial followed by either S or D indicating to me Son or Daughter- am I right in making that assumption?

:-* thanks for your help :D 

Chris.

Offline rootstock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 16 April 08 22:38 BST (UK) »
Hello All,
   I hope someone can help, I have downloaded the OPC for my 3rd Gt. Grandfather, Thomas Pearson, 13th July 1804 Fodderty.  It claims his father was Alexander from what looks like Tolley or Folley. Does anyone have any information on this place, or know who Alexander married?

Any help would be great!!
Thanks

Offline spindrift

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 20 October 08 15:52 BST (UK) »
I've never put anything on a message board before,so, I hope this makes some sense.

I'm trying to trace a Mary Ann McKenzie from Fodderty.  Her father might be the Alexander listed in the first message of this topic.  All the census and marriage records give her birthplace as Fodderty but I can find no record of her birth.

She is my Great Grandmother and married my Great Grandfather in 1870 in Waterbeach, Cambridgeshire, England.  The parish records give her father's name and his occupation as "foreman".  This was her second marriage.

As she came from an agricultural background (as was her first husband) and as all my ancestors were farm labourers who never travelled anywhere I am at a lose to understand how they ever met.

David Rayner
Rayner, Eusden and Bowman familes from Cambridgeshire, England and McKenzies from Ross & Cromarty, Scotland