Author Topic: CALDER's of KIRKINTILLOCH  (Read 19800 times)

Offline ozdroggy1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CALDER's of KIRKINTILLOCH
« on: Friday 17 August 07 14:28 BST (UK) »
I am descended from Thomas CALDER b. 13 May 1770 and Agnes PATRICK b. 29 Nov 1772 and probably also related to Thomas CALDER and Agnes REID of about 1730s. There is also a connection to SHIRVA (or SHIRVAY) a farm close by Twechar about 2 1/2 miles east of Kirkintilloch on the Clyde & Forth Canal. The farm still exists today. Is anyone else involved in this line?

Mike.

Offline tootsiepie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: CALDER's of KIRKINTOLLOCH
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 August 07 06:04 BST (UK) »
Possibly, I need to do a bit more work on this line, but  I have a George Calder, who MAY be the son of Thomas Calder and Agnes Patrick.

George had a daughter Margaret abt 1826, and was placed in Mollinsburn in the 1861 census. She married (2nd)in Cadder in 1852 to a William Walker.  1st marriage to a John Horn(e).

Will get back to you as soon as poss.
Flynn,Cox, Slaven-Co Longford
Donnelly,McGeown,Hughes,McCrory- Co Armagh
Hargan,Curran,Bradley,Grant,Peoples ,Patton,Dunn-Donegal
Conway,Degnan,McDonald,Cassidy,Kelly,Fenmore,Ryans,Kilkenny,Murray-Ireland/England/Scotland
Reeves,Fox,Williams-Shropshire/Staffordshire/Scotland
Gill,Kane-I.O.M/England/Scotland

Murdoch,Bruce,Rankine,Ballantyne-Ayrshire
McCutchen,McAdam,Wright-Kirkcudbright,Dumfries,Ayrshire

And others

Plus all variations in spellings

Offline tootsiepie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 August 07 21:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike , I can't find anything definate yet.   

I think that's why I gave this line a rest  ::)

So far-    Margaret Calder m. William Walker in 1852. in Cadder, both of Parish.

Her death cert states her parents are George Calder and Mary McPherson.   (cannot find this marriage or any births to this couple, so am beginning to suspect a mistake somewhere on the death cert. unless they were non-conformists)

Margaret Calder/Walkers death cert  in 1887 and a Walker childs birth cert in 1855  states she was previously married to John  Horn*, her maiden name Calder.
Cannot find the Horn marriage.

The 1841 census for George Calder has his wife as Ellen, though a daughter Margaret appears to be the right age for mine.   Margaret is not there in 1851, and can't find her yet under Horn. 

Have tried both Cadder Lanarkshire, and Kirkintilloch, Dunbartonshire for censuses , and the whole of Scotland for marriages.

A George Calder has children to an Elizabeth( Ellen?)  Burns, but the first one I see is if I remember rightly abt. 1830,  so it could be possible George was married before. 

Anyone any suggestions?
Conway,Degnan,McDonald,Cassidy,Kelly,Fenmore,Ryans,Kilkenny,Murray-Ireland/England/Scotland

And others

Offline ozdroggy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 August 07 13:26 BST (UK) »
I am descended from Thomas CALDER b. 13 May 1770 and Agnes PATRICK b. 29 Nov 1772
======SNIP

Mike.

As I dig further it would now appear more likely that the Agnes PATRICK in question was actually born 25 Nov 1766 to John PATRICK and Agnes LECK. ::)

Mike

Offline ozdroggy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: CALDER's of KIRKINTILLOCH
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 August 07 13:34 BST (UK) »
 :-[ Sorry about the spelling of KIRKINTILLOCH.

I do have a George born 8 June 1800.

Source:
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. International Genealogical Index v5.0. (© 1999-2002 by Intellectual Reserve, Inc.) http://www.familysearch.org. #1041997 Batch C114986.

Offline tootsiepie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 August 07 22:06 BST (UK) »
Yep, I believe he's my George also. 

Tonight I found the marriage record of a Daniel Calder who has the same parents as my Margaret.  i.e. George  Calder and Mary McPherson (McFerson).

This fits with the  the 1841 census enty in Kirkintilloch I found earlier.  This is the  only  Daniel in the 1841 census  in Dunbartonshire or Lanarkshire. of the approx age group.  (Daniel has chopped abt 3 yrs off his age in the  1860 marriage cert.  but his new wife was a bit younger). 

Therefore, I think the Ellen/Helen in the 41 and 51 census was either Mary Ellen or a second wife.

John Stark was a witness at Daniels wedding. 

I also found the death cert of Eliz Burns, who was also married to a George Calder, and who I thought earlier might have been the ''Ellen'' or second wife of my George.  But no!  Eliz died 1855 and the children listed on her death cert do not match the 1841 census family of George , Ellen , Margaret , Daniel etc.

More details, addresses etc,  processes of elimation and so on can be given if needed.

And others

Offline ozdroggy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 August 07 04:42 BST (UK) »
I have sent you a private message with the CALDER/PATRICK family. I have not traced the George line. Do you have a death yet? I couldn't find one in Kirkintilloch.

Mike.

Offline tootsiepie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 August 07 06:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the P.M.   I'll reply to it tonight, as I really should go to work today ::)

re- George death.  As George was still alive in the 51 census I was hoping he'd  still be alive at the start of civil reg.  in 1855. but I don't see a suitable death in Kirkintilloch either.  However I did see one in Stirling, will access it later and let you know.

There are definately Paisley (Renfrewshire) connections to this family.     Ellen, wife of George was born Paisley according to the 51 census.  It's also where my Margaret ended up.   It's not geographically far, and it was the weaving hub of the west of Scotland at that time. 

So , on that note . I'll leave you to look at the Renfrewshire/Paisley  Calders of the period.  May be a red herring, but worth a look.

And others

Offline tootsiepie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 August 07 19:29 BST (UK) »
Nae Luck, George in Stirling was Seaman!

And others