Author Topic: CALDER's of KIRKINTILLOCH  (Read 19785 times)

Offline ozdroggy1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CALDER's of KIRKINTILLOCH
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 September 07 08:29 BST (UK) »
Would someone with more experience than I like to take a guess at all after son to Thomas Calder....

Offline ozdroggy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 September 07 14:28 BST (UK) »
I think I may be onto a major breakthrough in joining two Calder lines. It is possible that this marriage is between first cousins and it appears that there were no children. William who died 11 November 1826 made a Testament on 22 April 1822 in which he left everything to his wife Agnes as "sole executor and universal legator".

Can anyone explain how this extract can be seen to confirm that the date of the marriage between William and Agnes is 1783 as stated. ???

Offline clematised

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 May 08 22:10 BST (UK) »
modified
Scotland and Liverpool Wilson,Conning,Cooper.Marshall
Cumberland,Liverpool, Anderson,Harrison
India, Liverpool, Lloyd.
Hollyhead anglesey,Wales, Liverpool, Jones,Williams
Llangwyfan,Aberffraw. Hughes/Griffiths

Offline Gateslack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 19 March 09 21:03 GMT (UK) »
My connection to George Calder is his son Daniel Calder, b1835 who married Isabella Brown. The 1861 census shows Daniel as a mason. Isabella's father John was a limestone miner as were his sons. Their daughter Isabella Main Calder b1864 married James Henderson b1856 a weaver in Cadder.

Offline tootsiepie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 20 March 09 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I think we have a connection here through Daniels marriage cert, and Margarets death cert, both naming parents as George Calder and Mary McFerson(sp).

I haven't looked much at this line since last year, so I am sadly no further forwards (or perhaps backwards  ;D )

However I did notice that on Daniels marriage cert, there were amendments where the words 'Maiden name' were scored out. Perhaps they weren't married.

BUT as the next entry also has this, I'm wondering if it was a misunderstanding of procedure on part of Registrar. 

I'll maybe take a fresh look at this line today if I have time.
Flynn,Cox, Slaven-Co Longford
Donnelly,McGeown,Hughes,McCrory- Co Armagh
Hargan,Curran,Bradley,Grant,Peoples ,Patton,Dunn-Donegal
Conway,Degnan,McDonald,Cassidy,Kelly,Fenmore,Ryans,Kilkenny,Murray-Ireland/England/Scotland
Reeves,Fox,Williams-Shropshire/Staffordshire/Scotland
Gill,Kane-I.O.M/England/Scotland

Murdoch,Bruce,Rankine,Ballantyne-Ayrshire
McCutchen,McAdam,Wright-Kirkcudbright,Dumfries,Ayrshire

And others

Plus all variations in spellings

Offline percy porter

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Alan NZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 02:25 BST (UK) »
I have just found a reference to a "Daniel Calder, painter from Edinburgh July 8th 1821" this reference was discovered in "Beatrix Potters Journals" published in 1986.

It was reported as found inscribed on the window frame of a house in Coldstream on Monday October 8th 1894.  Possibly of no significance to anyone but thought I would share it any way.

I can thoroughly recommend the book though, an excellent read, most amusing in places and good insight into country life in rural England and Scotland between 1881 and 1896.
Britton:Hawkins: London
Stephenson: Cox: London
Straughan: Sweeney: Newcastle/Durham
Liddell: Hobson:Newcastle/Durham
Horne:Oxfordshire/ Bienfait/Winnipeg
Voss: Dorset

Offline Shosco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 05:11 BST (UK) »
Hi, New to this website.  I to have a connection to Calder's in Kirkintilloch also Bain's in this same area.  Trying to find parents for Joseph Bain Calder born 5 Mar 1852.  His grandparents were Alexander & Jean Johnson BAIN - found their family in 1841 census - Children being Margaret Bain poss married Peter AITKEN , Jean BAIN, Agnes BAIN, John Bain, Alexander Bain jnr.
So, I am looking for the connection with Jean or Agnes marrying CALDER.
Joseph Bain CALDER was a tailor, taught the trade by his uncle John BAIN.  His grandfather was also a Tailor.  Joseph joined the navy in 1867, but by 1878 he was in New Zealand and married.
Does anyone have a connection to this family?
Alexander BAIN signed as his guardian for his entry to the navy.  Did this mean his parents were deceased?
Does anyone have access to kirkintilloch cemetery records please?
Any suggestions please?
regards
Shosco

Offline HeatherCLS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 10 July 15 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hello

If you are still there you may have found that Joseph Calder married Agnes Bayne 22 Oct 1852 .
Agnes was the daughter of Alexander Bain and Jean Johnstone born 1831 (1841 census) absent from 1851 census.(NB I am a Kirkintilloch Calder descendant, not your line, and I know the Johnstones lived in Kirkintilloch and often married the Calders and Starks)
The 1861 census has Alexander Calder age 7(1854) and John Calder age 5(1856) as grandsons of Alexander Bain(tailor) and Jean. Both boys were born in Kirkintilloch.
Alexander Calder in the Web: UK, Royal Naval Reserve Service Records Index, 1860-1955: Birth given as Glasgow, Lanarkshire but by then Kirkintilloch was considered part of Glasgow.
Joseph is in the 1861 Census staying with his uncle John Bain in Dalmellington Ayrshire, Age 10 born Kirkintillock(misspelt).
I have seen posts that say he joined the RN(don't know which part) aged 12.
Joseph Calder in the 1871 England Census at Spithead Hampshire aboard the vessel 'Inconstant" age 19 born Scotland.
Posts say he arrived in NZ about 1874.
Joseph Bain Calder Death Date:16 Oct 1926 Residence:Clinton, New Zealand

Hope this is of use,
HeatherCLS
HeatherCLS

Offline Shosco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 23 July 15 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather,  Thank you for your information.  Have found finally had a break through for this family.
Once again thanks for taking the time to post.

Shosco