Author Topic: Harry Davis, Newport, Gwent b. 1877  (Read 6589 times)

Offline jamied6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Harry Davis, Newport, Gwent b. 1877
« on: Thursday 16 December 04 08:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm trying to work out where to start researching this branch of the family. My paternal grandfather was Harry Davis, who was a stonemason in Newport, Gwent. I believe he was born around 1877. He had a number of children, a few of whom include Newton, Dennis, Margaret (Molly), Valerie, Alan (Leighton)...

If this links into anyone else's research, I would appreciate the assistance!

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Davis, Newport, Gwent b. 1877
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 December 04 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Could this be your man??

Harry Davis, head, age 41, sculptor born Glos Stroud
Mary Davis, wife, age 38 born Glos Stroud
Harry Davis, son, age 14, apprentice sculptor born Mon Newport
Archie Davis, son, age 12, apprentice sculptor born Mon Newport
Violet Davis, daughter, age 11,scholar born Mon Newport
William Davis, son, age 9,scholar born Mon Newport
Lily Davis, daughter, age 7,scholar,born Mon Newport
Charles Davis, son, age 5, scholar born Mon Newport
Victor Davis, son, age 1 born Mon Newport
Edith Carpenter, servant, age 17, general servant born Somerset Bath

RG12/4372 Source
District Newport
Ed 11, Folio 93, page 2

If this is the right person let me know and I will see what else I can  find.

Nicky

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 December 04 08:54 GMT (UK) »
This would be him in 1881, full name Harry Walter Davis. In 1881 they are listed as Davies, these variations in spelling are quite common.

Harry Davies, age 33, stone carver born Stroud
Mary Ann Davies, age 29 born Stroud
Harry Walter Davies, age 4, scholar born Newport
Archibald R Davies, age 3 born Newport
Violet Adelaide Davies, age 1 born Newport

RG11/5263
ed 13
folio 6
page 6

Nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline jamied6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 December 04 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nicky,

Thanks for this. To be honest, I'm not sure because I honestly have no idea what my paternal grandmother's name was!

I have a feeling that Harry Davis wasn't born in Wales though... so the Gloucester part may be correct... how could I track this back to make sure I have the right Harry Davis? Presumably I should be able to check this backwards from my father (Alan Leighton Davis, b. August 1926 in Newport).

I hate to say it, but I'm also not 100% convinced my grandfather's name was Harry... this just rings a few bells!

James

Offline jamied6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 December 04 00:22 GMT (UK) »
I've come across a couple of things that might prove useful...

Firstly, a photo of my grandparents with HW and HM Davis written on the back, and secondly, a funeral sheet for my uncle Harry Newton Davis, 1908-1971 from the Congressional Church of Newport.

From this it seems likely that my grandfather might have been Harry Walter Davis...

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 December 04 07:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi
It would seem likely that this is your family however to ensure it is, the best thing would probably be to obtain your fathers birth certificate and this would give both your grandfather and grandmothers name, it would also give your grandmothers maiden name and that would help you to trace her side too.
Good luck with your research and please dont hesitate to get in touch if you need any help.
Nicky

Offline jamied6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 December 04 08:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nicky,

Thanks for this. How would I go about obtaining a copy of my father's birth certificate?

James

Offline MonFamilies

• I have turned off my Noifications
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 February 05 00:00 GMT (UK) »
I thought I would post the address of the 1881 census which is 23 St Woolos rd Newport, which could come in handy when looking for what church they may have went to and to confirm with any information that you will find on BMD certificates.

There should be an address for the 1891 census as well.
mon families

Offline Ladkyis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Still searching for those darned actors
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 February 05 14:19 GMT (UK) »
If you know your father's birthdate then you can either apply to the Register Office in Newport
Newport Register Office
Gold Tops
Newport
Gwent
or you can apply to the General REgister Office, at Southport
The GRO is online and you can send for certificates online Which ever way you do it it will cost around £7 for the certificate.
If applying to the Newport Office the make the cheque payable to Suprintendent Registrar. Give the full name of your father and the date of birth. they can then look him up and send you the certificate
Ann
GIBBON, MCDADE, BRIDGER, GUILFOYLE, MACEY, JOHNSON, BELLEW, NATHAN, GEORGE, CLARKE.