Author Topic: Westwood family of Clavering (or maybe Manuden)  (Read 6964 times)

Offline king william

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Westwood family of Clavering (or maybe Manuden)
« on: Saturday 18 August 07 23:50 BST (UK) »
I have had great help from the London board about this family and am now seeking help from Essex.
James William Westwood born (or baptised) about 1795 in Clavering, Essex, according to one of the census I was given on the London board and I believe his parents were John and Cordelia Westwood. James married Mary Ann Corney in 1836 in Shoreditch, London.
There is a James Westwood baptised in Manuden about the same time which I wonder if it is the same person. The father of the Manuden James was a John Westwood (baptised 17/2/1760) and the name does fit, but there is no use going down that line if it is a different family.
The Manuden James Westwood line went back to a Thomas Westwood of Roxwell, Essex and it would be nice to be able to link it up with mine if it is the same person.
Any ideas, any help so much appreciated,
Robin
New Zealand
Wiltshire, Somerset, Gloucestershire - Busshe/Bushe/Bush, Le Strange/Strange, Whittington, Gunning, Browning, Maltravers
Shropshire - le Strange
Wales - Daylwyn or Deulwyn, Rede, Wirriott,
East Sussex - Catt, Ashdown, Barham, Henley, Hepden, Elliott, Phillips
London - Bush, King, Millis, Jarvis, Mellis(s)
Suffolk - Sewell, Baxter, Martin
Norfolk  - Sewell, Larter, Howlett
Tasmania, Australia - Bossward, Wellman
Worcestershire - Beach
Wales, Bristol, Bermondsey - Maurice, Cromwell, Riley

Offline BruceBlair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Westwood family of Clavering (or maybe Manuden)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 October 07 03:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Robin

In my family tree Mary Hammond of Manuden married William Westwood in 1821. William was the son of John Westwood and Cordelia Palmer.

John Westwood born 17/02/1760 in Manuden married Sarah and the only child I have information about is John born 14/05/1809.

The parents of that John (b17/02/1760) were James Westwood and Rachel Cannon. They had a number of other children including Beverley (b 7/7/1776).

Beverley married Anne Moore and they had a number of children including James born about 1800 in Bishops Stortford. He married Anne Hasler and they had a son named William born 7/08/1820.

This William Westwood was transported to Australia aboard the ship Mangles in 1837. He became the notorious bushranger known as Jackey-Jackey who was later hung for murder on Norfolk Island. (He wasn't all bad though).

I also live in New Zealand and would like to find so connection between the William Westwood in my tree and William the bushranger. As they both come from Manuden it is very likely they were related but how I don't know.

Bruce

Offline king william

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 October 07 04:27 BST (UK) »
Bruce, nice to hear from you - I am not even related to the Westwoods, I am doing this for a very good friend who is so busy working that I volunteered to find her family for her.
I was contacted on this site by another of her family members (who she did not know existed) with the real family tree of the James Westwood - the Manuden family of Westwoods must be connected as they all live within a short distance of each other.
It appears that the James Westwood we are after was born in 1813 and comes from White Roding in Essex and is the son of Beatrice Woolf and Joseph Westwood.
My friend who's family tree this is just loves the sound of the colourful  Jacky Jacky and would love to have him as an ancestor.
I did find the parents of Jacky Jacky on the internet and then I found him on the IGI on microfiche at the local library (Tauranga) - I know he was born in 1820 and I also noticed that on the microfiche he either had no parents listed or there was no actual d.o.b., there was something missing - will see if I can find it and get back to you,
Robin
Wiltshire, Somerset, Gloucestershire - Busshe/Bushe/Bush, Le Strange/Strange, Whittington, Gunning, Browning, Maltravers
Shropshire - le Strange
Worcestershire - Beach

Offline BruceBlair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 October 07 04:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks Robin

Hope the weather is fine in Tauranga. I am in the Manawatu and although its sunny and warm I can hear thunder in the distance.

The Westwoods are ónly distant relatives. My family are the Birds and through them Hammonds both of Manuden in Essex. 

Hope to hear from you again

Kind Regards

Bruce

Offline dchut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 December 08 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Have you any idea of any records of who went on trial with Jacky-Jacky after the riot in Norfolk Island in 1846? I know that Cuthbert Pratt from Durham was there at that time and that he died at the end of 1846 but was he involved with the riot? Having read about the horrors of Norfolk Island, I'm not surprised that they rioted!

Regards

Dennu

Offline king william

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 December 08 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Bruce and dchut,
Nice to hear from you both - Bruce, the friend who's history this is, has Westwood history through her great grandmother Sarah Westwood who married Alfred Prior in Dunedin a century or so ago. They had a cardbox box factory down there and were very successful business people. She loves the sound of the rather exciting Jacky Jacky, and I do think he is a cousin of her Westwood ancestors, hers came from White Roding which is very close to Manuden, the Westwood names are very similar in both places so I think Jacky Jacky is very likely a close cousin of her Westwoods.
Dchut, I don't know of the actual trial on Norfolk Island, and I do know they strung them up for not much at all, Jacky Jacky and his friends were probably what these days we would call freedom fighters.
Nice to hear from you both.
Robin
Shropshire - le Strange
Worcestershire - Beach

Offline pink_princess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 March 14 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I've been researching my family tree & I'm a descendant of Beverley Westwood. I've found this forum very helpful with dates etc & interesting about this Jacky Jacky! Anymore help or information would be great & I'll try to help but I'm still new to this!
Kathryn

Offline Peter Buckley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Cuthbert Pratt is my 4th Great Uncle.  I am also interested to know if Cuthbert was a part of the riots on Norfolk Island in 1846.  I have his death as 31 October 1846, but I do not know where he is actually buried.  There is a memorial stone with his name on it in England along with other members of his family but it does not indicate where he is actually buried.....Hope you can help....Regards..Peter Buckley
Buckley, Stockdale, Peverley, Forrest, Powell