Author Topic: Emigration to Canada 1820  (Read 3735 times)

Offline KenCalgary

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Emigration to Canada 1820
« on: Sunday 19 August 07 23:29 BST (UK) »
Would anyone know if there is a source of information regarding emigration from Cavan to Canada in about 1820? I believe a few brothers (Francis , Bernard, Thomas and perhaps others) - with their families - of my McGuire ancestors left Cavan for Canada along with other families (some of whom may have been related through marriage). These families founded the town of Sainte-Brigitte-d'Iberville (current French name) in the Province of Quebec.

My 3X great grandfather had been married to Mary Farley (or alternate spelling?) who died before the family left Ireland. His brother Bernard was married to Catherine Ryley (I think that's her family name/ spelling??).

Thanks Ken
Northumberland: Young, Craig
London: Pickering
Wiltshire: Biffin/Beaven
Ireland: McGuire, White

Offline mcmoran

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Emigration to Canada 1820
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 January 08 16:06 GMT (UK) »
For early Irish emigration to Upper or Lower Canada, it's worth checking the McCabe List.  This is an 1829 petition to the Crown, signed by about 700 Irishmen, many of them canal labourers, in the Bytown [now Ottawa] area, asking for relief for their relations back in Ireland.  Basically, they wanted the government to help pay the passage of their relatives to Canada and give them some land.  Many of the petitioners named their parishes and counties of origin.  They also tended to name a local magistrate or clergyman back home who could vouch for them (note: in some cases the petitioner is RC, but names a Protestant clergyman as reference).

So I just checked it for you, and there are several McGuires on this petition:

Francis McGuire (McCabe List #587), signed (or rather, marked with his X), and said he was from Nockbride in Cavan, and reported: "Has an uncle, James McGuire, with a family residing at Nock bridge in the Co. of Cavan, for whom he is desirous of obtaining land." 

John McGuire (McCabe List #360) signed (marked with X) and said he was from Nockbride in Cavan. "has a cousin Phillip Cusick, with his family reside at Baly Burn in Parish of Nockbride and is known to the Revd Mr Baily of Said place." 

Peter McGuire (McCabe List #222) signed, and said he was Mountbride in Cavan.  "This applicant's father, Dennis McGuire, with a large family reside in Mountbride in the County Cavan he is known to the Revd Samuel Adams."

There is also a John McGuire from Kildare (ML#389) and a James McGuire from Donegal (ML#640). 

For early Irish emigration to Ontario/Quebec, you should also check Al Lewis's Bytown or Bust site.  Many Irish originally went to Bytown, before moving on to help settle other parts of Canada (and the US). 
Benton, Dunn/Dunne, Hanlon/O’Hanlon, Killeen, Lahey, McGlade, Moran, Ryan, Vallely

Offline mcmoran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 January 08 16:12 GMT (UK) »
The above is quoting from a published transcription: Bruce S. Elliott, The McCabe List: Early Irish in the Ottawa Valley, published by the Ontario Genealogical Society (2002).
Benton, Dunn/Dunne, Hanlon/O’Hanlon, Killeen, Lahey, McGlade, Moran, Ryan, Vallely

Offline jdrjem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 05:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken,
1820 is a tough year to find immigration information. Most of the detail starts later, 1865.
The Library and Archives of Canada has some detail and there are shipping lists for vessels coming up the St. Lawrence River. http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/immigration/Pages/introduction.aspx

I am looking for Bell family that emigrated in 1820 while I find the surname, there is little to identify the person in any way.

Good luck.

Jack