Author Topic: Lost at Sea  (Read 4059 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Lost at Sea
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 19 November 16 19:23 GMT (UK) »
??? Can anyone help please?
My ggg grandmother's father was reportedly "lost at sea" 9 August 1815 in the Gulf of Florida.  His ship (The Isle of Thanet) was one of a fleet of 15, nine sank during a storm.
I have searched for information on this - google does not give me anything on the ship name and the only record I have of a storm on this date is from Wikkipedia.
My gggg grandfather was captain of the ship - David Young VI
Any help - or ideas where to go for further information - would be awesome.

Hi

In another reply you mention RN (Royal Navy).

So what were the actual names of your 3 & 4 X Gt. Grandfathers?

TNA, Kew, links for the Admiralty Will Indexes / Registers, some are massive downloads which can take up to 40 mins on your average UK Broadband.

First Index Volume for Surname starting A
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C515610

Menu for more, check the Volume "details" link, for (Former Ref in Original Dept) Letter which (in this case) should correspond to surname required.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/browse/r/h/C515610

Provided they left a valid Will, before departing on a fateful voyage and were killed or died in R.N. Service, you can search through 100s of pages of Will Lists to see if you can find it listed. Every so often the surname starts again, so you may need to search to last pages!

But the Register/s usually give name of ship, date, beneficiary or Executors (or both) and sometimes the witness names.

Some Wills were returned to the Admiralty by the Executors and some survive and can be downloaded for £3.50 in Series ADM 48
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1757

If he made an English Will and owned property or land in the PCC area and outside the PCC area, a PC Canterbury Will should survive, these can also be downloaded from PROB Series Ref. and on some subscription family history sites.

In Admiralty file titles, I mainly find, 'Isle of Thanet' in Kent, England, listed as a place for sailors births? Can't see a H.M. Ship of that name, so far, for 1815?

Regards Mark

Offline Ray_Watson

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 June 17 11:25 BST (UK) »
This link might help you, I found this as a lead up to my family name Watson arrival in New Zealand.

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Young-10086

Biography

David YOUNG VI - Captain (1789-1815), eldest surviving son of David YOUNG V, married 1812, Margaret Margery, daughter of Ann and Thomas SANDERSON, a solicitor of Sunderland. In 1815 the tragedy of the previous generation was repeated when a storm in the Gulf of Florida caused the loss of his life and his ship, the "Isle of Thanet" in a convoy - "nine ships lost, six returned"; his widow was left with two young children, George (nearly two) and Emma (two days old).

Rather than a RN ship likely was a private trader (armed). Ref below.

"Isle of Thanet" A fully-rigged ship, sheathed with copper, of 340 tons, two decks, registered at Broadstairs, on the Thames in 1815 trading from London to Jamaica. The master is D. Young and owner G. Young. An E1 vessel, she was armed with six guns. (Alf Cobb)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 June 17 21:41 BST (UK) »
Caledonian Mercury, 26th October 1815

Lloyd's Marine List-Oct. 20. 1815.

The following ships, which sailed from Jamaica 10th July,
with the fleet under convoy of his Majesty's ship Warrior, are
still missing-(Advices have been received from Bermuda to
the 1st; from Halifax to the 16th ult. and from different ports
of America to the 10th ult.); Neptune, Burnell; Mary, Nicholl;
Isle of Thanet, Young; Arcade, Waite; Preston, Grierson;
bound to London;-Lady Warburton, Rimmer;
Irvin, Watnough, for Liverpool; and Montreal, Alexander,
for Greenock. ...

The 'Isle of Thanet', Young; ... bound to London, was under the Convoy of HMS Warrior, but as Ray says, the 'Isle of Thanet' was not a HM Ship.

Regards Mark