Author Topic: Longford Officer of exise  (Read 3701 times)

Offline cosmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Longford Officer of exise
« on: Thursday 23 August 07 07:17 BST (UK) »
hi,  Could any body throw some light on " The County Officer of Exise in the said County of Longford" as my gt gt grandfather was termed in his marriage settlement of 1837.
He was from Roscommon and returned there by 1845, any suggestions where I might findout about the job? was it only  about taxes and duties  or was it a fore runner to the police as has been implied to me,

Offline wild_thistle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Longford Officer of exise
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 October 07 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Cosmo
My Grandfather was a Customs and Exise Officer in Monaghan. He was from Longford along with my Grandmother Gertrude Murphy. His name was John Kane. I will try and find out from my uncle who still lives in Ireland.
Anyone have any connections to these names
Catherine
maclennan harris/ross & cromarty
morrison, macdonald,mackinnon in harris
kane in longford,ireland
murphy

Offline cosmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 October 07 07:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Catherine
Just when I had given up hope on this query revealing any thing. Now hoping your grand father can throw some light on the matter.
 I have an Anne Sandys who married a Bernard Kain / Kane ? in the 1800,  but as with alot of the female lines that is all I have there is an application for special license to marry for 1800.
yours cosmo

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 April 08 14:01 BST (UK) »
hi,  Could any body throw some light on " The County Officer of Exise in the said County of Longford" as my gt gt grandfather was termed in his marriage settlement of 1837.
He was from Roscommon and returned there by 1845, any suggestions where I might findout about the job? was it only  about taxes and duties  or was it a fore runner to the police as has been implied to me,

Hello cosmo,

Pre 1908 the Customs and the Excise were two separate organisations. Customs Officers concentrated on the ports and points of entry to the Country whilst the Excise Officers were responsible for assessing and collecting duty in the towns and countryside.

Christopher

Offline wild_thistle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 April 08 19:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Cosmo
My Grandfather was John Kane B:20 Nov 1894. His parents were Michael Kane and Elizabeth Feeney. They were from Ballagh, Newtownforbes. Don't know if this helps . John had lots of siblings but I don't see a Bernard
Catherine
Whareabouts in Ireland were they from?
maclennan harris/ross & cromarty
morrison, macdonald,mackinnon in harris
kane in longford,ireland
murphy

Offline cosmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 April 08 14:58 BST (UK) »
Hi
My Anne Sandys and Bernard Kain/Kane were married by special license in 1800 she was from Roscommon near enough to Newtown Forbes but thier children would havwe been born 1800-1820 your granfather was born in 1894 so an earlier generation, If the same family.
Cosmo