Author Topic: Darwent/ White Brightside Sheffield 1897  (Read 2728 times)

Offline painterlady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Darwent/ White Brightside Sheffield 1897
« on: Thursday 23 August 07 20:03 BST (UK) »
I am trying to link my 2xGt grandmother to a Gt Aunt living in Sheffield in the 40s whose Mother was Lena married to Frank but I can't remember Lena's married name.  Rooting around in Free BMD have found a possibility of White, which sounds right. If so 'Selina' Darwent was born about 1875 to Edward and Elizabeth and married Frank White in 1897 and their daughter Mabel was born about 1908. To confirm or refute this I need to find it in a Parish Register to check parentage but the IGI seems to have nothing much for this period. For most of this time the family lived in Newhall Rd, Brightside and after 1900 the children were baptised at St Thomas's Brightside. My knowledge of Sheffield is somewhat lacking so don't know whether this is the only likely church or whether there are alternatives. Mabel married a Dowse.
It is asking a bit much but has anyone any bright ideas how to solve the puzzle or access to say the St Thomas PRs. If I could get to The Sheffield Archives that would answer a number of questions (maybe!) but it's a long way.

Offline vdavison

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Darwent/ White Brightside Sheffield 1897
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 February 18 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi, this is Mabel's granddaughter Vanessa. Are you still researching this tree? I have a break for a while, but I'm back on it.

x

Offline painterlady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Darwent/ White Brightside Sheffield 1897
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 February 18 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vanessa! surprised to hear from you again. My family history has been lying fallow but still interested, not sure I have added much since we last had contact. I still have an address for you but the one you used here is different,I had thought to try the one I had already. I have had some contact with that line and pretty sure that what we have is right I will try to sort out how to do a private e mail---am out of practise on Roots Chat but still read it in hopes.