Author Topic: Smiths  (Read 4561 times)

Offline Aussie Roy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Smiths
« on: Sunday 26 August 07 10:48 BST (UK) »
I'm having problems, probably obvious with Smiths Seeking ancestors of my maternal grandma  Agnes Jane Hussey nee Smith I've searched IGI, ancestry.com and the genealogist.com
Facts  Born  Feb 1882 Lambeth Died 1968 Middx . Married William Hussey 1902
Search for Agnes Jane Smith 1901 census returns ' no match ' But plain Agnes Smith  returns many. The best fit  being 20yrs
should be 19
servant to Harrises Southwark I'm confident that this is the right one because 1891 census brings family James W. Smith b. 1855  head Agnes 9  Mother Emily  ? b.1856 living at Newington.  In 1901 census Agnes is not with them.  Trying to find maiden name of Emily, but can't find marriage . Emily born Chelmsford Essex. Previous  generation   James Smith b.1828  head 1861  wife Rebecca ? b.1832. Essex  Need help with maiden names marriages and deaths. 
Roy
Allen(Dorset),Barker(Essex), Batham, Burris, Champelovier(London, Clark (Suffolk), Clay (London), Elliott (Wilts), Faith (Sussex), Hawes (London), Heinemann (Germany),  Hussey (Dorset), Mason (London), Myers (Yorks/Lancs), Parker (Yorks), Phillips(Hamps),  Smith,(Wilts) Wingate (Sussex) , Wiseman, Townson Yorks), Want(Wilts) and more

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
Re: Smiths
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 August 07 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hi

Married William Hussey 1902

Not clear from the other info if you know who Agnes' Father was from the Marriage Cert of her and W. Hussey ?

IE Is he the James W b1855 you found in the 1891 census ?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 August 07 13:11 BST (UK) »
Heres an alternative - who better matches the FreeBMD entry for an Agnes Jane born Lambeth .. .. shown here

Births Mar 1882 

Smith  Agnes Jane     Lambeth  Vol 1d Page 385

1891 - RG12/350; Folio 14; Page 19 - Southwark, St George The Martyr

George Alfred SMITH 35  Head Working Jeweller Gold London Hatton Garden
Martha Jane  32  Wife Bermondsey
Henry George  13  son Lambeth
Agnes Jane  9  dau Lambeth
Tom  7  son do
Maude  5  dau Walworth
Jessie  1  dau Southwark

Offline Aussie Roy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 August 07 13:33 BST (UK) »
Hi

Married William Hussey 1902

Not clear from the other info if you know who Agnes' Father was from the Marriage Cert of her and W. Hussey ?

IE Is he the James W b1855 you found in the 1891 census ?
Thanks Newf

I'm in Western Australia and just working from memory of my Granparents  . I haven't seen the cert.  I'm just hoping that James W.  is the right one. The area is right and working class. I do know that she was in service as a maid.
Allen(Dorset),Barker(Essex), Batham, Burris, Champelovier(London, Clark (Suffolk), Clay (London), Elliott (Wilts), Faith (Sussex), Hawes (London), Heinemann (Germany),  Hussey (Dorset), Mason (London), Myers (Yorks/Lancs), Parker (Yorks), Phillips(Hamps),  Smith,(Wilts) Wingate (Sussex) , Wiseman, Townson Yorks), Want(Wilts) and more

Offline Aussie Roy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 August 07 13:39 BST (UK) »
Heres an alternative - who better matches the FreeBMD entry for an Agnes Jane born Lambeth .. .. shown here

Births Mar 1882 

Smith  Agnes Jane     Lambeth  Vol 1d Page 385

1891 - RG12/350; Folio 14; Page 19 - Southwark, St George The Martyr

George Alfred SMITH 35  Head Working Jeweller Gold London Hatton Garden
Martha Jane  32  Wife Bermondsey
Henry George  13  son Lambeth
Agnes Jane  9  dau Lambeth
Tom  7  son do
Maude  5  dau Walworth
Jessie  1  dau Southwark

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm a bit doubtful about  the jeweller bit. I don't recall her mentioning that. She married a brewers labourer.

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 August 07 13:42 BST (UK) »
which gives an alternative in 1901 ...

RG13/380; Folio: 34; Page: 9 - Newington
6, Blackwood Street

In Service with the Haydons

Agnes Smith 19  General Domestic Servant born Walworth ....

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 August 07 13:46 BST (UK) »
Just seen your reply.

A 'working Jeweller' doesnt mean he owned a Jewellers - he was as 'working class' as the rest of the street !

You really need to get the 1902 Marriage Cert and verify her Fathers name .....

Marriages Jun 1902   

Hussey  William     Lambeth  Vol 1d Page 547   to  Smith  Agnes Jane     

Order here -  http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Offline Aussie Roy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 August 07 15:26 BST (UK) »
Just seen your reply.

A 'working Jeweller' doesnt mean he owned a Jewellers - he was as 'working class' as the rest of the street !

You really need to get the 1902 Marriage Cert and verify her Fathers name .....

Marriages Jun 1902   

Hussey  William     Lambeth  Vol 1d Page 547   to  Smith  Agnes Jane     

Order here -  http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Thanks for the link.  Unfortunately they don't accept payment by Visa electon , which is all I have.  I have emailed relatives in England and asked them to get it for me. It's a pity that one cannot pay and then view certs. Might be available one day. Roy

Offline Aussie Roy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 September 07 06:40 BST (UK) »
I now have information from family sources. Agnes Jane's father was George Alfred Smith b.1856 - jeweler. as Newf found 1891 census.  Now can't find in1901 census. Agnes may have gone into service with Harrises. The only George Alfred Smith I find is in Bromley Workhouse.