Offline Kwest222

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Mallen
« on: Friday 19 March 04 16:53 GMT (UK) »
My great grandfather Alexander Mallen left Galashiels
sometime prior to 1900. He appears on the 1901 Census
living in Ashton under Lyne, Lancashire aged 45. He was a market gardener.

Could anyone help me to trace near kin still living in the Galashiels area or more information about the family history please?

Thank you

Peter Cooke

Offline Marielle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mallen
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter

I am also researching MALLEN, and the name Alexander crops up throughout the family.  I have one Alexander which might match yours.  Please contact me and we can compare notes.

Regards
Marielle

My great grandfather Alexander Mallen left Galashiels
sometime prior to 1900. He appears on the 1901 Census
living in Ashton under Lyne, Lancashire aged 45. He was a market gardener.

Could anyone help me to trace near kin still living in the Galashiels area or more information about the family history please?

Thank you

Peter Cooke

Offline Kwest222

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Marielle

Thank you for your email. The first reply actually.  Alexander does not appear to be very popular.  In fact I had forgotten all about it to be honest. Nevertheless if you can still throw some light on my request I would be most appreciative. 

Alexander Mallen (Great, great granfather on my Mothers side) emigrated from Galashields circa 1890s with his wife Margaret and two daughters Isabella and Jane.

They were listed in the 1901 (Ashton-under-Lyne) census as aged 45, 40, 16 and 13 years respectively.

Alexander had at least another child called James (my mothers dad) but no records (to date) in this area reveal this. My mother was born in 1912 in A-u-L.

James Mallen fought in the 1914-18 war and died in the mid twenties as a result of the trauma.

I will leave finish at this point. Thus giving you the opportunity to comment.

I have very little information.  But curious none the less.

Hope what I've said sheds some light on your search.

Kindest regards

Peter (Easingwold, nr York)

Offline Marielle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 February 06 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter

Having read "Galashiels", I feel that this Alexander must be connected to my lot, who were from Lauder, Earlston, Legerwood etc.  Cousin Ken, who was born Galashiels, has just been to S.A. on a visit to us and has a wealth of info.  He will be home in Gifford next week and is bound to be able to help you.  Please contact me off-list marielle@intekom.co.za and we will see if we can make a connection.

I have an Alexander b. 1888, who had a brother James.  Sons of Joseph MALLEN & Janet DUFFY.  Ken may have much more but I have not yet had time to sift through what he left here for me.  Even Isabella features in our tree!

Regards
Marielle

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 February 06 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,

There is an Alexander Mallen in Melrose, Roxburghshire aged 25 in the 1881 census (Melrose is very close to Galashiels).  He is a Gardner (domestic) and his birthplace is given as Ednam, Roxburghshire.  The entry also posts a wife Marion  (aged 26, b. Lauder, Berwickshire), a son James (aged 1, born Galashiels) and a daughter Eliza P. (aged 9 months, born Galashiels). 

I don't see a corresponding entry in the 1891 census for a 35 year old Alexander for anywhere in Scotland, although there is a 55 year old one living in Galashiels - possibly a father?

I know this doesn't match exactly to what you posted, but it looks fairly promising.  The census records from 1861 to 1901 for Scotland can be viewed at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk on a pay per view basis, along with birth, marriage and death certificates (actual images, not just indexes), so you should be able to track down Alexander's birth, marriage and birth of any children born in Scotland there.

Cheers,
Clare
ELLIOT, CROZIER, HAY, AITCHISON, COWAN - Roxburghshire
BETT - Kinross-shire, Fife and Glasgow
CHAMBERS, BRUFF, WESTMACOTT - Glasgow
And many, many more...

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 February 06 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,

Sorry, I should have given you the reference number for the 1881 census - Vol 799, Enum. District 1, Page 14.

Also, Galashiels is in the county of Selkirk rather than Roxburgh, so if you haven't posted on that board, it might be worth doing that too, in case someone looks there and not here.

Cheers,
Clare
ELLIOT, CROZIER, HAY, AITCHISON, COWAN - Roxburghshire
BETT - Kinross-shire, Fife and Glasgow
CHAMBERS, BRUFF, WESTMACOTT - Glasgow
And many, many more...

Offline Eilleen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • relax
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 March 07 15:57 GMT (UK) »
I have nothing to do with this but while breezing through e.bay, number 280095399554, the lady has some photo's for sale ,about six , on the back of the above number is a memorial to a Michael Mallen aged 54 yrs, the other photos all seem to maybe related, the area is North Shields and South Shields,   hope someone can claim them . let me know if they are related.    Eilleen.
EXTON, from Rutland, Stamford, Boston, Lincoln. LANES, from Coleby,to Bracebridge Lincoln.WAKEFIELD,PROUDMAN Cheshire and  Stafford.<br />PINDAR, MOORE, ,CHAMBERS mostly from Lincolnshire.
LAING from Elgin ,Scotland.
 HADDELSEY from Caistor,and Grimsby Lincolnshire.                   
 Parfitt, Le Gros ,Le Sueur, from Jersey.
Martin, from Doncaster  to whelyn garden city, London.
BINT, Worchester, in Australian mint.