Author Topic: Ariel Cycling Club ?????  (Read 5130 times)

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ariel Cycling Club ?????
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 December 10 03:36 GMT (UK) »

WOWOW  Chris,  this is brilliant..thanks sooooooo much

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Daizi
Flisher : UK and Sth Africa and Australia<br />Munro  : Scotland,  Inverness, Ross and Cromarty and Australia<br />Prust   : Bristol, UK, and Australia<br />Woodburgess/Wood/Burgess/Wood-Burgess,  Adcock/Brudenall in Lincolnshire UK and Australia<br />Taylor :Yorkshire,  Nottinghamshire and Australia<br />Mathers  : Montrose , Scotland and Australia<br />Johnson  :  ?? and Australia
Dixon Australia and Cumberland

Offline Chris4c

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 17 December 10 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Craizi

I've just spotted that your great great uncle appears on the cover of Vol.1 No.4:

Do you have any photos of him, I'm wondering if it's a good likeness?

Chris

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 17 December 10 22:38 GMT (UK) »

Hi Chris, 

This is just like i imagined him... There are no photo's that survived of William but it is remembered by his grandaughter that he had a large 'Handlebar Moustache'

He was a Engineer & Cycle maker 1st class. in 1911 and 1912 he was continuing the business Prust Bros., Ltd and the address was at 4, Dalston Lane, Hackney

I have a photo of is son at when he was young and can see the resemblence

Ohh this is all great,  i cant thank you enough

Daizi

Flisher : UK and Sth Africa and Australia<br />Munro  : Scotland,  Inverness, Ross and Cromarty and Australia<br />Prust   : Bristol, UK, and Australia<br />Woodburgess/Wood/Burgess/Wood-Burgess,  Adcock/Brudenall in Lincolnshire UK and Australia<br />Taylor :Yorkshire,  Nottinghamshire and Australia<br />Mathers  : Montrose , Scotland and Australia<br />Johnson  :  ?? and Australia

Offline Chris4c

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 December 10 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Ohh this is all great,  i cant thank you enough
No problem, I'm glad I could help.

Most of the other references to William seem to be just snippets like:

"Bill Prust has the biggest calf in the club."

"Once twenty-five of us started for Southend, having been misdirected we were tired and sleepy, forty miles away at night. In vain we sought beds. A face would peep from a door, vanish, and a bolt shot. Our attire and 'welossipedes' were too much for the Essex folk. So we left them, and pulling down a straw from a stack we slept in a field. W. Prust, afraid of thieves. 'twined himself around his ordinary and during the night kicked half the spokes out'."

or race results, etc., but if I should find anything more substantial I'll post an image.

The Gazette mentions that there were Club Photos, but sadly I think our chances of finding a copy are non-existent!

Chris

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 December 10 08:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

The Gazette mentions that there were Club Photos, but sadly I think our chances of finding a copy are non-existent!

Think long term !!

Daizi posted in 2007.  3 Years later
I was just Googling "Ariel Cycling Club" when I stumbled across your post.

Who knows what can happen in the next three years; perhaps other descendants of club members will "stumble across" this topic and add to it.

Here's hoping,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Chris4c

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 19 December 10 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Who knows what can happen in the next three years; perhaps other descendants of club members will "stumble across" this topic and add to it.
Well it's not impossible I guess. The magazine itself seemed to start out with circulation of 100 copies, but later increased to 200. Googling finds virtually nothing though.

Here's hoping,
Indeed!

Chris

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 December 10 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guys, 

Hi ya Bob,   yeah was a long wait,  almost forgot about it,  and Chris,  i am LOVING all you can find,  is so awesome to get it,

What ever you find i am most appreciative

;D :D

Daizi   

Offline SneckSchleck

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 27 January 11 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Daizi -

This is probably too much of a coincidence but I found this picture while trawling for images or large bike chainrings for my club's website.  I saw the name on the jersey was the same as one of my member's username on the website which was interesting to start with but then I had a search for "Ariel bikes cycling" and so on and found your thread here.

It may be nothing but here's the image:

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 27 January 11 21:17 GMT (UK) »

Hi Sneck

Welcome to rootschat,  thats a great find,  thanks so much,  i really appreciate it

Hope to see you around the forum...

Daizi