Author Topic: Marriages that lasted  (Read 2054 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Marriages that lasted
« on: Friday 17 December 04 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Everyone,
It has just occurred to me, when looking at my mother's generation (her two sisters and herself), that all three women were lucky enough to celebrate  their golden wedding anniversaries, with over 50 years of marriage to their respective husbands.  There were only the three sisters - no brothers.  I imagine that nowadays marriages are less likely to stand the test of time, for whatever reasons we might like to put forward.
But perhaps Rootschatters would like to beat the challenge of THREE siblings who were all married for at least 50 years. 
The criterion is, that  ALL siblings of a particular generation must enter the equation!
Very best wishes,
Keith

Offline Paul J Ballard

• RootsChat Member
  • www.paul-ballard.com for UK Ballard Genealogy
    • View Profile
Re: Marriages that lasted
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 December 04 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Keith,

Now that's a really tall order and I am off to hunt through my tree for some siblings with long marriages but before I do how about a slight "twist" from my own family?

On 18th June next year my parents and my in-laws celebrate their Golden Wedding anniversary. My father and my mother-in-law were both born 18th June 1932 and both decided to marry on 18th June 1955. If we can get them to hang around for another 21 years and 30 days (the oldest is currently 75 so it's not impossible) then they can all come to our own (Clare and I have 28 years so far) Golden Wedding anniversary!

Paul
Ballard in UK all locations and dates.
Other lines of interest - Wills, Bishop, Samuels, Dunnell, Easey, Wes(t)comb(e), Richarson, Jarvis, Mathews, Stoneham, Jarvis, Ingram, Edwards, Catt, Moore, Lintott, Tee, Lee, Phillips, Davies, Drew, and a few more!

Offline Heather D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 December 04 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Mmmm...doesn't quite fit the criteria but my dad is one of eight. Four have already celebrated their Golden Wedding and my dad is due to join the club next September! Of the others, two marriages were cut short by a partner's death and only one ended in divorce. Not a bad record :)
Nottinghamshire: Willmott, Williams, Oldham, Padgett, Burden, Stokes, Huskinson, Tuckwood, Morley, Barnett
Lincolnshire: Foster, Dennis, Mowbray
Leicestershire: Mowbray,Hudson, Tuckwood
Derbyshire: Starbrook
Somerset: Willmott, Elliott
Cork:Driscoll, Murphy
London Surrey:Driscoll, Cheesman
London Kent:Cheesman
Kent:Cheesman, Davis, West, Hills, Kneller, Bones, Eastup

Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 December 04 13:37 GMT (UK) »

Does'nt quite count but -
Myself, my sister and my two brothers, married in the 60's and early 70's, we are all still married to the same partners - if we all live long enough some us are nearly there  :D
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Alfred Anderson, 108 years old, still going strong...
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 December 04 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
I now realise that the criteria I set for this genealogical challenge are probably too stringent.  So, perhaps other stories of golden weddings could creep in now.  In today's Observer, did anyone else read the marvellous article about Alfred Anderson, now aged 108, recounting his experiences of the infamous 1914 Christmas Truce at the Front. 
Towards the end of this article it states: "Alfred Anderson...was recently in the rare position of witnessing one of his six children's golden wedding anniversaries.
If I've read this correctly, then here is a man who had SIX children who were married for at least 50 years.
Very best wishes,
Keith

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 December 04 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Not quite a Golden wedding but a bit more ..................

In 1952 the then oldest marriage in England ended with the death of Mr Alfred PARRIS in Hastings.  He and his wife had celebrated their 74th wedding anniversay in Nov 1951.

Alfred PARRIS was brother to my gt gt grandmother, Emily Charlotte PARRIS.

Hastings & St Leonards Observer 1 March 1952.

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 December 04 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Can I be slightly controversial?  I've been looking at the marriages in my tree and of the 5 longest marriages (40 years plus) only 1 of them actually got married.

The others paid their fines to the poor at the kirk sessions that's how I know they never actually married.

I think we sometimes just don't try hard enough  nowadays - are we more malcontent?

Pam
 ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 December 04 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pam,
I think that being born at certain times and places in history obviously helped unbroken longevity in marriage.  Any couple's marriage that had to somehow survive the carnage of perhaps both or indeed either World Wars in the 20th Century had the odds stacked heavily against a happy celebration 50 years on from their wedding day.
Best wishes,
Keith

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 December 04 12:13 GMT (UK) »
My Mum is one of ten children, 5 boys and 5 girls.  Two of the brothers never married, one sister got divorced but the remaining seven siblings (my Mum included) have all been married for a minimum of 40 years or more.  I have a feeling that her eldest brother must be very close to celebrating his golden anniversay.

Marriages just don't seem to last these days, do they?  My first marriage lasted just 3 years, but took another 2 years to be made "absolute".  My second wonderful marriage will hopefully get to "Golden Anniversary" if I live long enough :) ;D

Jan :)
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand