Author Topic: Anybody know their way around 20C US records?  (Read 3270 times)

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Anybody know their way around 20C US records?
« on: Friday 17 December 04 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Update - have located the burials of Ray Elmer and Lillian JACKSON

Have just received the marriage cert. for Ray Elmer JACKSON who married my husband's gt aunt in the UK 1919  :)

He was a private in the Canadian Army Medical Corps and his CEF record states born 5 Sep 1892 Windsor, Ontario.  However, 1920 and 1930 census Cuyahoga Falls state he was born in Kansas and Colorado.

My first question - would it have been easier for him to say he was born in Canada for entry into the forces? :-\  He gave his next of kin as father Edward JACKSON, Wellington, Lincoln Ave, Kansas. 

In the Social Security Death Index, there is a Ray JACKSON born 10 Sep 1892 (5 days out from the army record) whose last known adress was Blackwell, Kay, Oklahoma (issued Kansas) who died 1971.  Have also found (familysearch) entry for a Ray Elmer JACKSON who married in the 1940s Oklahoma and died 1973 (2 years difference from SSDI).  Of course, this would need checking out but it could be that Lillian died and this was a second marriage if it was the same person??? :-\ 

What is the Family Data Collection on ancestry? :-\  It is ok, I have since discovered that these are records created for a gentics study - too excited to read it properly in the first place!

There is an Elmer Ray (name switch) JACKSON born 10 Sep 1892 Boulder, Longmount, CO (father Edwin) with wife Lillian.  Could this be him or is this just coincidencal? :-\

Is there any way of telling the actual address of the Edwin JACKSON (with wife Martha) in 1920 census Wellington, Sumner, Kansas?  Could I confirm that it is Wellington, Lincoln Avenue as Ray Elmer says in his army records? :-\  Now confirmed thanyou!

I have followed this family back through 1920/1910/1900 census and they did have a son called Ray E JACKSON.  If I can confirm the address then it would look like the entry in the family data collection for Elmer Ray may be "my" Ray? :-\  Maybe then I could see about trying to find an obituary or something for him if I know that his last known address was in Oklahoma (info from Social Security Death Index)? :-\

They had a daughter Mary Ellen JACKSON bc1923 in Ohio but no birth found in Cuyahoga Falls area.

They seem to disapper from Cuyahoga Falls, Summit County, Ohio c1930.

Sorry if I have made this sound rather complicated.

Am interested in what became of Lillian, Ray and their daughter.

Any assitance greatly appreciated.

Casalguidi

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk