Author Topic: Morrisroe: Roscommon  (Read 17952 times)

Offline Fomlor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Morrisroe: Roscommon
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 01:12 BST (UK) »
actually my great grand father was your great grand father's first cousin if my assumed connections are correct. He was John P. McDonagh and he arrived in Sheffield region around 1900 along with James, John and Bartholomew Morrisroe. It appears that they worked for a time at Dixon's mill which is a paper mill near Oughtibridge. My great grand father stayed there and married a local woman named Hodkin; whereas the Morrisroes may have moved on..though one note says they became local policemen. I strongly suspect that John P Mc's parents were Michael McDonagh and Sara Morrisroe from Brogher/Derrygolagh area in Sligo/Roscommon. I recall finding them in either the 1901 or 1911 census which is online.
It appears you're more closely related toCrofton based on his 6/25/09 entry. His grand father (Edward) and your great grand father (Bartholomew) were brothers. They also had sister Eliza who appears to have lived at least for a while in Phila or Mass. If it was Mass..maybe that's what drew Bartholomew to there as well.

Offline zephyr99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 01:56 BST (UK) »
Very interesting, Fomlor.  Actually, my original comment (although I was not clear) was directed to Kcplayful.  I can confirm almost all of what he said in his last post.  I was completely unaware of the information that you have, which, of course, is the value of this discussion group.  As I understand it, my great-grandfather Bartholomew was conscripted by the British Royal Navy to fight in the Second Boer War (1899-1902).  He emigrated to Boston directly from South Africa immediately following his service.  My father Bartholomew is not certain if his grandfather was living in Sligo at the time of his conscription or not.  (As you can see from reading this thread, the name 'Bartholomew" was passed down for many generations right up until the present day.  My older brother is also named Bartholomew.  I had no idea the name goes all the way back to at least the 1830s.)

Offline Fomlor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 18:35 BST (UK) »
if its any help..I recall that my JP McDonagh may be in sheffield by the 1890 census which puts him in UK earlier than I suggested. Just can't find my reference at this point. Nevertheless that would mean that your Bartholomew was also likely in UK and so explains the consription. Besides, though they may have been permitted to enlist, I wouldn't bet that the Irish (in Ireland) were consripted at that time.
In fact in Crofton's note it says that Bartholomew Morrisroe b 1836 was already in Wharncliffe, Sheffield in 1881 (he's the father of Bartholomew b 1870). Looks like senior went to UK first then was followed by his sons...later senior returned to Ireland.
You're right about the reoccuring Bartholomew name. I mentioned earlier that my JP named his first son Bartholomew...later following up with other sons John and James..just too many coincidences I'd say.

Offline michaelwalsh1958

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 06 September 10 13:10 BST (UK) »
FOMLOR, are you Frank (Michele's cousin) ?

Offline Fomlor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 06 September 10 15:08 BST (UK) »
Mike, one in the same. My entries on this site pretty much include all the info I have on our Morrisroe connections. If in reviewing you get any further insights, I'd be anxious to hear them. Good luck and welcome aboard. FrankO

Offline michaelwalsh1958

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 06 September 10 15:20 BST (UK) »
Great

Did Mich mention that i'll be in Co. Sligo w/end after next?   I'm visiting Temeplvanny, Brougher, Carrowcrory, and St Kevin's ChHurch (Keash) and the Traveller's Rest on the main road to Ballymote

If you want any questions answered, let me know and I'll try and ask

I'm also seeing the McD's in Ballinafad ....

[being careful to not explicitly name living people here, which I think is against their rules]

M

Offline Fomlor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 06 September 10 15:26 BST (UK) »
Mike, I'll be in touch via your email address. Thanks

Offline zephyr99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 27 March 11 02:36 BST (UK) »
KCplayful:  Please contact me on this thread.  It seems that my father, Bartholomew J. Morrisroe, and you share the same grandfather.   More to the point, your father and my father's father (also Bartholomew J. Morrisroe) were half-brothers, both having been fathered by Bartholomew J. Morrisroe.   The elder Bartholomew Morrisroe in the family tree emigrated to Boston, MA from Sligo at the end of the 19th century.

Offline sailfst

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 19 March 17 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Frank,  I'm Batty Mcdonaghs  grandson in America.   JP was my great grandfather.  Did you ever find out where he was born and was his father Michael?