Author Topic: Who was Capt.? J.H.H.BERKELEY of 83rd Regiment  (Read 5312 times)

Offline Kimberley

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Who was Capt.? J.H.H.BERKELEY of 83rd Regiment
« on: Thursday 30 August 07 13:06 BST (UK) »
Obituary to his son Harold Maurice Hardtmann BERKELEY aged 54 in The Times,Monday,May29,1933;page 16;Issue 46456;col C. describes his father as Captain J.H.H.Berkeley of Shadwell,St Kitts,B,W,I, and mother,Mrs Berkeley.

Harold Maurice Hardtmann BERKELEY of Le Zoute,Belgium died 22 May 1933 at Kissingen,Germany.
Captain J.H.H.BERKELEY of 83rd Regiment may be son of Thomas Berkeley Hardtmann BERKELEY of Shadwell,St Kitts (died 1881)

Seeking names of other children of Captain J.H.H.BERKELEY and his history with 83rd Regiment. One of his daughters may have been Helen Dorothea BERKELEY born circa 1880 to 1890,place unknown ?.

His wife Mary Helen Boyle Hardtmann BERKELEY died 7th May 1938 and was living at 6D,Queen Alexandra Court,Wimbledon from about 1917 to 1938.

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Capt.? J.H.H.BERKELEY of 83rd Regiment
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 September 07 11:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Kimberley
I had a look through the Times and Google Books as well to see if I could see any more and given the family seemed very prominent, they are hard to find out about :)
You may have already seen the following, but I could find:
The birth announcement of a daughter on 6th April in the Times of 24th April 1891 to the Honorable J H H Hardtman of Shadwell, St Kitts;
The death of Sir Henry Spencer Berkeley, 3rd son of Thomas Berkeley Hardtman Berkeley in  the Times of October 2nd. 1918 and references to three of his children, Katharine Margaret, Marjorie and Maurice Anthony;
In google books a reference to Captain J H H Berkeley of Throgmorton House in 1899;
there is an obit to a business colleague in 1913 that also names the 'late' Captain J H H Berkeley, so that narrows his death down a bit?

regards
MarMnkly

Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 September 07 22:57 BST (UK) »
Perhaps a clue might be found with one or some of these, as the first law student is born there...?

On the 1881 census residing at 14 Oxford Terrace, London Mx there are:

Alice BERKELEY  born 1829 London
Humphrey BERKELEY born 1861 St Kitts West Indies who is a student at law

a John Henry Ashley BERKELEY (2d Lieutenant Stafford militia ) born 1861 W.I.
residing with a William WROTTESLEY same rank, etc…born London
Whittington Barracks Military Depot, Stafford

Stephen Jas.F. BERKELEY  …says born 1868 East Indies…
 a scholar Royal Asylum of St Annes Society,Streatham,Surry
The household previous lists as Tooting Graveny  and the one after lists as Camberwell

There are ladies born with the Berkely name from  Secunderabad & Indore B S India in Cockington, Devon on the 1881
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 September 07 00:43 BST (UK) »
The IGI has 15 Berkely, from several Caribbean Isles, but only one from St. Vitts, ( that's how it is spelled and it's an extracted file)  There are also
several with the name Sackville inserted within the name ( one of the 1881 Berkely from India was named Sackville) There are also over 40 Barkeley on the IGI for India, with another Sackville listed...I think perhaps the Barkeleys may have been seafaring fellows!
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 September 07 01:01 BST (UK) »
More 1881 although not the correct spelling,..

also in London Mx. in the ENGLEDINE household:
is an Edith BARCLAY visiting age 24 from Jamaica       
and a Maud BARCLAY also a visitor age 21 from Scotland 

Anne E. BARKLEY is a Lodger age 67 from Jamaica   living on" income from: House Property & Dividends living Charlton, Kent, England

Maurice Hy. Berkeley 1816  from Granada West  who is "Superannuated 
 By Service / Antiqua."....
with wife Cordelia born Wales...in Heene, Sussex

Offline LGG

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 April 11 20:49 BST (UK) »
 I believe one of the reasons you might have difficulty researching this family is that the family name was changed from Hardtman to Berkeley prior to John's birth. 

John HH Berkeley's father Thomas Berkeley Hardtman changed his surname from Hardtman to Berkeley, which was the maiden name of his mother Ann Howard Berkeley (daughter of Maurice Berkeley) after her death.  This made his new name Thomas Berkeley Hardtman Berkeley.  So his children's surname became Berkeley instead of Hardtman. Thomas Berkeley Hardtman Berkeley's siblings, and their descendants, continued to carry the surname of Hardtman. 

Below is an abstract of his will, and along with the names of his children, including John.

3.  Thomas Berkeley Hardtman-Berkeley (son of Thomas Allman Hardtman) was born on 14 Jan 1824 in St. Kitts and died on 6 Nov 1881 in Cedar Hill, Antigua, at age 57. 

General Notes: Born at the Farm Estate, Sandy Point ======= Will of Thomas Berkeley Hardtman Berkeley 1879

Honorable Thomas Berkeley Hardtman Berkeley of Millikon, St. Christopher, CMG, planter, formerly known as Thomas Berkeley Hardtman.  Will dated April 7, 1880. "My sons, John Hart H. B. of St. Christopher, planter; Honorable Henry S. H. B., activing Attorney General of the Leeward Islands, and Humphrey Goerge H. B. to be Executors.

To my two sons, John Henry and C. Arthur Shand, Esquire, on trust, my meiety of Ottley's (or Oltley) estate in Trinity, Palmetto Point, my moiety of Greenland estate in St. Mary Cayon, and land and buildings in Pall Mall Square, Basseterre, now used by the Estates Agency Depot, and all stores to sell and to form part of my person estate.  Accounts with James Ewing and Co.  My daughter Alice Howard, wife of Charles A. Shand, of Fitches Creek, Antiqua, planter, 2000 pounts.  My daughter, Annie Berkeley, wife of the Honorable A. W. Holmes A. Court, 2000 pounds.  My daughter, Aymee Martha, 2000 pounds at 21.  To my son, John Hart, Shadwell estate, charged with Annuity of 100 pounds to his mother.  To my son, Henry Spencer, Cedar Hill estate, subject to like annuity.  To my son Humphrey at 26, Foundtain estate.  To my wife, Alice Hart, 100 pounds.  My sister, Ann Isabella, 20 pounds a year.  All resideu to my three sons, John, Henry and Humphrey.  Witnessed by W. E. S. Napier, John B. Blizard. Will was proved on November 15, 1881.

Death: At Cedar Hill, Antigua, on the 6th instant, the Honorable Thomas Berkeley Hardtman Berkeley, C. M. G., President of the Federal Council of the Leeward Islands, age 57 yeras.  From a long notice which follows it appears that he died in a few days of fever.  He was a very successfull planter and attorney of many estates, and for over 30 years a M. of the local legislature of St. Kitts.  He was also Vice President of the Federal County, and a few days before his death was nominated President on the retirement of Sir Oliver Nugent.  The C. M. G. was conferred in 1879.  (The St. Christopher Gazette and Charibbean Courier (sic) ).

Thomas married Alice Hart Rawlins on 26 May 1846 in Basse Terre, St. Kitts. 

Children from this marriage were:

+     13   M     i.          Thomas Berkeley Hardtman-Berkeley was born on 20 May 1847 in Probably St. Kitts and died on 7 Dec 1876, at age 29. 

+     14   M    ii.          John Hart Hardtman-Berkeley was born on 1 Aug 1849 and died on 12 Aug 1910 in Brighton, at age 61. 

+     15   M    iii.          Henry Spencer Hardtman-Berkeley was born on 6 Sep 1851 and died on 30 Sep 1918 in Bures, Suffolk, England, at age 67. 

+     16   F     iv.          Alice Howard Hardtman-Berkeley was born on 9 Dec 1853 and died on 14 May 1910 in Antigua, at age 56. 

+     17   F     v.          Anne Berkeley Hardtman-Berkeley was born on 31 Jul 1855. 

+     18   M    vi.          Humphrey George Hardtman-Berkeley was born on 13 Oct 1860 in Millekins, St. Kitts, died on 12 Jun 1913 in Suva, Fiji, at age 52, and was buried in Buried At Sea. 

+     19   F    vii.          Aymee Martha Hardtman-Berkeley was born on 31 Jan 1868.