Author Topic: Surname VEIGHEY  (Read 56772 times)

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
  • My Mum & Dad - George & May Veighey
    • View Profile
Re: Surname VEIGHEY
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 25 October 09 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Des,

Welcome to Rootshat.
I have not had any information from anyone for ages on this thread, I did get asked for some information from a couple of people on this thread who had links with my family but unfortunately I haven't heard anymore from them.

My grandfather James Veighey was born in 1887, (he married Margaret Morrison) he was an only child his father was also called James and he married Isabella Montgomery.
According to my father his grandfather had 3 brothers and they all worked for the gentry one of them went to work in Redhills, Southern Ireland, think he may have been called John. Another brother went to work in Co Meath, S Ireland and another brother went to Belfast,( he had a son called Jack and another one called Herbie).
I do not have any dates of birth or death  for James (who married Isabella Montgomery), all I know is that on the 1911 free Irish Census that he had died prior to that as Isabella had remarried John William Gibson and my grandfather James was 24 on the census.
Don't know if this is of any help to you.

Margaret

Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 25 December 09 17:44 GMT (UK) »
I have now found out that on the 1911 Census my grandfather's (James Veighey born 1887) mother Isabella Montgomery had remarried when James was 7 years old to John William Gibson. James was an only child.

I am still trying to find out any information on James's father also called James, which appears on his birth certificate, James' father had brothers that all worked for the gentry on the land. James junior worked for Lord Farnham in Cavan.
I have recently come across an Elsie Veighey whose son contacted me, Elsie was born about 1903 and was probably a first cousin of my grandfathers ( she came from Co Kildare). Elsie's father was called William and he married twice, second marriage was to Maria. Elsie appears on the 1901 census as Ellsie.
Any information on James senior would be appreciated.

Thanks

Margaret
Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough

Offline VeigheyMcBurney

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 03 January 10 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi my name is Kimberley, the youngest daughter of James Veighey (born 1930) and my grandparents were William Veighey married to Catherine Carberry, both born 1901.  My grandfather was the youngest of 5 children but i would love it if anyone could enlighten me on some more of my family tree.

Many thanks

Offline VeigheyMcBurney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 03 January 10 23:46 GMT (UK) »
It seems that from what i have read from other postings before this that my family came from Co Cavan, If anyone has any information on my grandfathers (William Veighey born 1901) other siblings, i would be grateful to find out

Many thanks
Kimberley

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 04 January 10 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked for your grandfather's family in 1911 census yet? If he was born in 1901 and still living in Ireland 10 years later you should be able to find him-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search

Taking a quick look I can only see 5 William Veigheys in census (none in Cavan).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Dessie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 04 January 10 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi my name is Kimberley, the youngest daughter of James Veighey (born 1930) and my grandparents were William Veighey married to Catherine Carberry, both born 1901.  My grandfather was the youngest of 5 children but i would love it if anyone could enlighten me on some more of my family tree.

Many thanks

Hi Kimberley,

My name is Des Carswell. Your Grandfather and grandmother are in my family tree in that William Veighey (born 1901) was the son of a William Veighey and a Martha Roberts both born in 1856. I have a picture of both of them in later years. William Veighey your GGrand father was a brother of my GGgrand mother Sarah Veighey who married a Henry Carswell in Belfast  in 1879. I have a family tree that shows the connection if you forward me an email address I will send it on together with the pictures.
They are not great quality photos but are nice to have.  I think Kimberley that would make us cousins. Your Great grand father had three brothers and one sister Robert born 1891, Andrew born 1897, Samuel J born 1899, and a sister Jane born 1893. The family originate in Armagh but moved to Belfast in the 1860 I believe. Your GGGrandfather was James Veighey and his wife was Eliza Greer

I'll send the tree as soon as you let me have the address

Regards
Des
Carswell, Crawford, Veighey, Wallace, Moore,Belfast

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 04 January 10 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Once Kimberley has made another post she should be able to use PM (personal message) system to exchange email addresses, recent family details, etc. which aren't allowed to be posted on the boards.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 04 January 10 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, another Veighey!!
All of a sudden this thread has sprung into action again as it has been quiet for a while until Des came on board. He has been very helpful.
Des has already sent me a photo of William Veighey who married Martha Roberts (your great grandparents) and onlooking at the photo of William there is a resemblance with my grandfather James who was born in 1887 - he was an only child and his father too was called James, I do know that James senior had several brothers that worked for the gentry in various parts of Ireland, links with Co Meath, Redhills Cavan Co Kildare and Belfast.
I noticed that you need to make another posting before you can send and receive personal messages.
I did meet a Jack Veighey in Belfast around 1965 (he had a brother Herbie and a sister - although I never met them).
If you reply to this posting we will be able to exchange personal messages  with you.

Best wishes
Margaret

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 16 January 10 09:18 GMT (UK) »
I have been looking at the 1911 Census and there is a Mathew Veighey aged 82 with 2 sons John (33) and Mathew(31) and a daughter Sarah (37) living in Redhill Demesne. According to my father Mathew was probably a first cousin of his father James Veighey born in 1887, Killeshandra ( James he was an only child). He met 2 of Mathew's children when he was young and thought that they never married.
James' father died when James was very young and there is an entry on the LDS site for a James Veighey born 1861 who died in 1891, he was married to Isabella Montgomery and she is 86 living with her 2nd husband and stepson James Veighey on the 1911 census.
I have been talking to an 98 year Veighey this week who has told me that his father William Richard Veighey was born in Killeshandra. From the 1911 census William is 47 living with his second wife Maria (first wife died in childbirth after second child) and family. William worked at Ballysax Manor, Co Kildare as a coachman to the gentry. William's daughter Elsie born in 1901 was a first cousin of my grandfather James born 1887 who I met in the 1970s.

Does anybody have any information on Mathew or William's fathers or brothers and sisters.
Thanks

Margaret
 :)