Author Topic: Surname VEIGHEY  (Read 56833 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Surname VEIGHEY
« Reply #63 on: Sunday 22 June 14 18:15 BST (UK) »
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/results.jsp?census_year=1841&surname=V*&exact=&firstname=&county19011911=&county1821=&county1831=&county1841=Cavan&county1851=&townland=&ded=&age=&sex=&relationToHead=&religion=&education=&occupation=&marriageStatus=&marriageYears=&childrenBorn=&childrenLiving=&birthplace=&nativeCountry=&language=&deafdumb=&houseNumber=&familiesNumber=&malesNumber=&femalesNumber=&maleServNumber=&femaleServNumber=&estChurchNumber=&romanCatNumber=&presbNumberDiv=&protNumber=&parish=&barony=&yearsMarried=&causeOfDeath=&yearOfDeath=&familyId=&ageInMonths=&search=Search&sort=&pageSize=100
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Sunday 22 June 14 18:18 BST (UK) »
Sorry.. shortened link here...  http://www.rootschat.com/links/0162z/

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
  • My Mum & Dad - George & May Veighey
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 16:46 BST (UK) »
Sorry.. shortened link here...  http://www.rootschat.com/links/0162z/

Thanks Hallmark, I hadn't thought of different spellings of the surname.
Best wishes

Margaret :)
Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough

Offline ansimi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 17:25 BST (UK) »

Now that I have been helped with my grandfather's (James Veighey b 1861) siblings, I was wondering if anyone can piece together the siblings of Matthew Veighey the father of James who was married to Harriet Duncan. I have managed to touch base with a great grandson of Matthew on Rootschat recently, he would have been a second cousin of my father's.

Many Thanks

Matthew's established siblings are:

1. James Veighey who married Elizabeth Greer and has been discussed extensively in this thread.
2. John Veighey who married Elizabeth McConnell

Relationship established by these three men all being from Armagh and having a father named Gilbert.

There also seems to have been a John Veighey in the area (Grange Parish) who was an approximate contemporary of Gilbert and whose descendents used the name Gilbert. Children of John:

1. Gilbert Veighey m. Jane Borland
2. Eliza Veighey m. William John Sleator (had a son named Gilbert)
3. John Veighey m. Elizabeth McMullan (had a son named James Gilbert)
4. Jane Veighey m. John Williamson
5. William Veighey m. Mary Ann Orr

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 17:56 BST (UK) »

Ansimi
Matthew's established siblings are:

1. James Veighey who married Elizabeth Greer and has been discussed extensively in this thread.
2. John Veighey who married Elizabeth McConnell

Relationship established by these three men all being from Armagh and having a father named Gilbert.

There also seems to have been a John Veighey in the area (Grange Parish) who was an approximate contemporary of Gilbert and whose descendents used the name Gilbert. Children of John:

1. Gilbert Veighey m. Jane Borland
2. Eliza Veighey m. William John Sleator (had a son named Gilbert)
3. John Veighey m. Elizabeth McMullan (had a son named James Gilbert)
4. Jane Veighey m. John Williamson
5. William Veighey m. Mary Ann Orr
[/quote]
Sorry I got some messages saying that James Veighey who married Eliza Greer was my great grandfather which was incorrect, there was also so many different Gilberts too.

Thanks for pointing this out, trouble is I still don't get all the alerts so sometimes miss out on a post.

Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Saturday 21 March 15 06:22 GMT (UK) »
I got a phone call last week from The son of Frances Veighey the daughter of William and Maria Veighey who lived in Ballysax. William was married twice, his first wife died in childbirth while giving birth to their second child. Maria was the governess to the family and then married William.
Frances was supposed to be my grandfather's 1st cousin one removed.
Frances appears on the 1911 census.

I met Frances once in the 1960s.
I am trying to workout the links between William  (Elsie's father) and William's siblings so that I can be sure where my grandfather links in.
James my grandfather born in 1887 was the only child of James Veighey born 1861 died 1891 (married to Isabella Montgomery).

Can anyone work out the siblings of William from Ballysax and the siblings of James born 1861 from Co Cavan.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Margaret

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline ansimi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Saturday 21 March 15 17:13 GMT (UK) »
The children I have for Matthew Veighey and Harriet Duncan are:
James (c. 1861 - 1887) m. Isabella Montgomery
Sarah (c. 1861 - 1937)
William (c. 1863 - 1927) m1. Sarah Jane McClean m2. Maria Pierson, lived in Kildare
Anne (1866 - 1893)
John (1869 - ??)
Matthew (1872 - 1943) m. Mary Elizabeth Hall, lived in Belfast
Harriett (1874 - ??) m. Fred Gordon, in Queen's on 1911 census

Matthew and Harriet were married in 1856 so there's a good chance they had more than the 3 known children before civil registration in 1864. All children were born in Cavan except William who may have been born in Armagh where his father was from.

I posted this earlier in the thread but I think it's what you're looking for?

Frances (b 1909 to William Veighey and Maria Peirson) was a 1st cousin of James (b 1887 to James Veighey and Isabella Montgomery); their fathers being brothers, both sons of Matthew Veighey and Harriet Duncan.

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Saturday 21 March 15 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ansimi, for the reply, have been out of sorts for quite a while.
So looks like William father of Frances, was a brother of James b 1861 (who married Isabella Montgomery), father of James b 1887 (my grandfather)
Isabella was supposed to be related to Gen Montgomery, my grandfather looks just like him in photos which is how I got started on the family history quest in 2007.
I also noticed that James and Sarah children of Matthew and Harriet are born in 1861, could they be twins ?

Thanks