Author Topic: Surname VEIGHEY  (Read 56782 times)

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
  • My Mum & Dad - George & May Veighey
    • View Profile
Re: Surname VEIGHEY
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 January 08 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nikki,
I still haven't received a reply from you since I sent you a persoal message but according to my Father this looks like this is a relation.

Any more information would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Margaret
Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough

Offline thompo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 April 08 13:41 BST (UK) »
Hi hope someone can help me. I am trying to trace a branch of my family tree which I am having absolutely no luck with!!!!
My great-great grandfather was William Veighey, he married in Belfast in 1886 and his fathers name was Andrew Veighey. But I don't know when or where William was born or where Andrew was from and Cavan seems to be the only other place that I can find any mention of Veighey's at this time.

HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!

Paul
Veighey Nicholl Jervis

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
  • My Mum & Dad - George & May Veighey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 11 April 08 13:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul,

Like you I am not doing very well trying to find any 'Veighey' information.
My Grandfather James Veighey was born in Cavan in 1887 and he was the only son of James Veighey & Isabella Montgomey, unfortunately I do not have any dates of birth for James or Isabella. James who married Isabella had other brothers but I have been unable to find any information about them.

Perhaps your William is a brother of James. One thing I do know is that my father has told me that his father James Veighey had first cousins that lived in Belfast. The name is certainly very unusual,  unfortunately the Veighey name has stopped now in my family, I was one of three girls so the family name has not continued and my father's brother William and sister never had any children.

I will talk to my father at the weekend and see if he can throw any light on your William and Andrew.

Happy hunting.

Margaret
Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough

Offline thompo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hi I am going to post what I know in the hopes that someday someone will establish a link to what they know!!!

William Veighey born abt. 1857 married Martha Roberts in Belfast on 27th June 1886. They had 5 children, Robert (born abt. 1891), Jane (born 19th Sep. 1892), Andrew (born abt. 1897), Samuel James (born abt. 1899) and William (born abt. 1901).

William Veighey's father's name is James Veighey and is listed on his son's marriage certificate in 1886 and it says he is a carter?? (possibly)
Veighey Nicholl Jervis

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 16 April 08 20:32 BST (UK) »
could'nt find any births,found four veighey marriages, may be wm. relations.i will puts wm. on for you incase you dont have the church.

WM. VEIGHEY TO MARTHA ROBERTS 27-6-1886 @ST.ANNES COFI SHANKILL, BELFAST, ANTRIM.

MARIA VEIGHEY TO WM. BURGESS 5-11-1882 SAME CHURCH.

ELIZABETH ANNA MAUD VEIGHEY TO WM. OWENS 3-10-1899 @ ST. MARYS COFI SHANKILL. BELFAST ANTRIM.

WM. VEIGHEY TO CATHERINE CARBERRY 12-8-1921 @ ST.JOHNS LAGANBANK COFI, KNOCKBREDA, BELFAST, ANTRIM.

REGARDS MARY.

doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline thompo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 16 April 08 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks...Not sure how the other people fit in but I know that the Wm. Veighey and Martha Roberts is right..

Thanks again.

Paul
Veighey Nicholl Jervis

Offline Dessie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 23 October 09 17:00 BST (UK) »
I have been doing some research on the "Carswell" family name and I have come across a Sarah Veighey born 1854 who married a Henry Carswell in Belfast in 1879     They had three children Henry 1883, Lizzie 1885 and John 1890. John is my Grandfather.

Sarah Carswell nee Veighey lived in west Belfast in North Queen Place. She had a brother William born 1856  who married Martha Roberts, William having lived in North Queen Place before being married. His father on his marrage cert is James Veighey a carter this confirms the relationship of brother and sister to Sarah as James is the father to both Sarah and William. Martha father is Samuel Roberts and they lived in 3 Cullingtree Place. 

Since this is an old thread I will try and send a PM to all on the thread so far.     Sure what else would do to help cousins!!!

I am interested in trying to get James Veighey's wifes name. 

Nearly all the Veighey's in the 1911 census (of acertain age that is) are from Armagh but ironically there are no Veighey's in Armagh at that time

Kind regards

Des
Carswell, Crawford, Veighey, Wallace, Moore,Belfast

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 23 October 09 17:03 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat but new members usually need to make 3 posts before using PM (personal message) system (you'll see a little green scroll under person's name on left side of their post).
www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Dessie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 23 October 09 17:10 BST (UK) »
Rules Rules Rules ya gotta love them

Des
Carswell, Crawford, Veighey, Wallace, Moore,Belfast