Author Topic: Keating Family of Cahirciveen  (Read 31118 times)

Offline renard54

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Keating Family of Cahirciveen
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 19:46 BST (UK) »
the Point is a different side.I live down John Thaigh Sheas cross. He was the local Carpenter, jack of all trades. was there for years, died a few years ago, made coffins too.I live down beside Murphy's the lake place, thats Renard South, near Craobhin. Its about a mile to the Point. I do not have any relatives in Caherciveen town. Am related to Mick Dwyer , Waterville through my grandmother Mary Galvin

Offline Brendan Joseph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 20:52 BST (UK) »
I got the 6.00 clock flight to London a few years ago, Micko was on the flight, J. P. Dunleavey the writer and David Manley who was involved in setting up the Irish Lottery, we were all on the bus heading into the terminal, J. P was wearing slippers, he had gout, Micko looked great as did David, I did not look too bad my self, nice suit, We had a good laugh, those were the good days. Micko had the hotel in Waterville, the Bay View.

David is dead, not too sure about J P. I know Micko is still alive,

My granddad was the doctor in Waterville

Brendan

Offline Brendan Joseph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 20:58 BST (UK) »
My Aunt Noreen married Eoin O'Connell in Cahirciveen 1948, Eoin's sister Niamh married Toddy O'Sullivan, Gresham Hotel, Dublin.

I believe their son Conaill still holds the record for the swim the point to Valentia.

Brendan

Offline renard54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 10:59 BST (UK) »
who came before Danial Keating.I remember my father talking about him. how he was taken away off down the slough by the fairies one night, all night walking around did not know where he was, his boots filled with water from falling into holes. He came back in the morning, no sleep and nearly drowned. Another night he walking down the cross from John Thaigh's , and at Mac's he seen an old woman sitting on a coffin. Who was it, but his aunt that died in America the day before and she said to him 'trom do lamh', which is 'give me your hand'; he replied in Gaelic ' I will not, or my foot'
Is there any way I can get information on the ones that came before them

Offline renard54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 11:22 BST (UK) »
I have 2 Aunts in USA. Mary Keating who married a Leahy man from Dingle, and Sheila Keating who married to a Sugrue from Letter, Caherciveen. Her son Michael and John became a priests and her daughter became a nun.  They lived in Chicago. Also My uncle Danial who had a son called John, a big man, was in Caherciveen about 20 years ago looking for the family home. My uncle Jerm also lived in Chicago
Any information , please contact  Michael Danial Keating, Renard South Caherciveen

Offline hilsbee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 22 April 12 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

It's very interesting reading all your stories, and there seems to have been a lot of Keatings in Caherciveen!

I've been trying to track down my grandmother's Irish family who was born Kathleen Teresa Wood in Caherciveen. Her mother was Ellen Mary Keating, born around 1866 and whose father was a Jeremiah Keating born around 1824. I know from the census that Jeremiah was a draper and grocer but don't know anything else about him.

I've been told that Ellen Mary had a sister called Kate and she never married and moved to Waterville.

The only other things I know is that somewhere along the line there were Sullivans and that Maurice was a family name - my grandmother had a brother called Maurice and named her son, my father after him.

Ellen Mary married a James Wood who was English, and who worked at the cable station. My grandmother Kathleen (Kitty) also married a worked at the cable station called Edgar Barton and eventually they all moved back to Liverpool, which is where James came from originally.

If anyone could help me with any info, or suggest a line of enquiry, I'd be really grateful!

Many thanks
Hilary
Keating: Caherciveen, Kerry / Mushet: Rye, Sussex UK / Piper: Kent UK / Barton: Durham UK / Mushet: Scotland

Offline Brendan Joseph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 23 April 12 10:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Hilary,

I believe that Jeremiah was originally from Letter which is a few miles outside Cahirciveen. 4 of my grandmothers sisters married telegraphists.

1881 Slaters Directory of Cahirciveen Jeremiah is recorded as a Grocer and Draper it also says he was a Butter Exporter. In all probability Jeremiah J

Keating who is listed in the 1901 Census was a son of Jeremiah who was living in Waterville 1901 with his daughter Ellen.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Kerry/Caher/Main_Street/1403664/

Jeremiah J was born 1857, father Jeremiah Keating and Margaret Sullivan, there are other children recorded to the couple including Catherine 1861.

There was also another Butter Exporter in Main Street, Cahirciveen, Maurice Keating.

Brendan

Offline hilsbee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 03 May 12 13:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Brendan

Sorry only just got back to this thread but thanks very much for your info and advice - I'll follow it up!

Cheers
Hilry
Keating: Caherciveen, Kerry / Mushet: Rye, Sussex UK / Piper: Kent UK / Barton: Durham UK / Mushet: Scotland

Offline mballaam

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 14 November 14 04:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hilary, my great grandmother was Mary Clare Keating, born Caherciveen 1865, and her father was Jeremiah Henry Keating, of coincidence, her mother-in-law, was Ellen Keating, born in Kerry in 1825, married to John Fitzpatrick, they both died in Allahabad in India.

I don't have any history on Jeremiah.

Do you think there is any connection ?

Regards
Miles Ballaam