Author Topic: Keating Family of Cahirciveen  (Read 31129 times)

Offline Walsh-seeker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Keating Family of Cahirciveen
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 26 December 15 05:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello, GAJM,

You posted the following Boston Pilot ad:
"14 March 1868 ELLEN KEATING and CATHERINE KEATING, of Cahirciveen, county Kerry, Ireland. They are daughters of John Keating and Mary Keating (maiden name Mary Laurence Sullivan). Ellen came to this country about 17 years ago, and Alley [sic] and Catherine about five years later. I heard Catherine lived in a place called Winnooskie Falls, near Burlington, in 1862; but I wrote and got no answer. I believe the three sisters were together one time in Burlington, Vermont, some years ago. They might be there still for all I know. Any information of them, dead or alive will be thankfully received by their brother, Cornelius Keating, Penobscot Station, near Whitehaven, Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, in care of David Ross. Volume VI: 1866 - 1870."

I'm trying to find out more about this family, to see if they are related to Honora Keating, my great great grandmother, born circa 1833 in County Kerry. Honora's parents were John and Sarina Keating, according to her death certificate. I think the Sarina must have been a nickname, as I have not seen that name on any Irish records.  Honora married William Welch in New York state in about 1854, and by 1856 they had settled in Wisconsin, where they lived for the rest of their lives.

I found a marriage record for a Katherine Keating who married a Charles Elrie in Burlington, Vermont, on May 6, 1861. The bride's parents were John Keating and Mary. I feel certain she must be the Catherine that Cornelius in the ad above was looking for. But I can't find anything else about this couple, not in censuses or anywhere, nor anything more about Catherine's sisters Ellen and Ally.

Can anyone tell me anything more about this family?
Thank you SO very much!

Offline MotherGinger

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 06 November 16 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Are you still seeking information on the Keating/ Welch connection? It looks like I may have some information on some of the people you mentioned in a post.

Offline Walsh-seeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 16 November 16 01:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi, there, thank you so much for replying!

I have found out a LOT more about my Keating family since I wrote that post. My Honora Keating was born in Curravough, Tralee, County Kerry. Her husband William Walsh/Welch was born in Tullamore, Listowel, County Kerry. They met in upstate New York.

I have a LOT posted on Find a Grave and on Ancestry.com about my Walshes and my Keatings, so you might have seen some of my information. (Molly H.)

My family does have a close dna match--- several of us match, including one person who is ONLY related to us through the Keatings of Curravough--- with a descendant of a Keating of Cahersiveen. 

I would be interested in hearing what you know, if you think it would pertain. Thank you very much for being willing to help. I appreciate it.
Molly

Offline Christine Connally Villavisencio

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 01 March 20 21:08 GMT (UK) »
I’m descended from Jeremiah Daniel born 1842 and Mary Doody. They were my grandfather’s grandparents. My grandpa was Jeremiah David Jr., and I have some information on the Texas family. Let me know if you’re interested. I’m looking into the generations before him in Ireland. 

Offline FamousPheasant

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 26 December 20 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I am new to genealogy and looking into my Irish ancestry. My mother had saved some information, which I have used to get started but it is a bit hard to decipher. Unfortunately, she is now deceased. I would love if anyone could help me fill in the details.

I am a great grandson of Jeremiah Daniel Keating who was born in Caherciveen during 1842. His parents were Daniel Keating and Mary Murphy.

Some of her notes state that Daniel Keating rented land from Daniel O’Connell and that the O’Connell family helped pay in part for the emigration of Daniel Keating’s children to the U.S. I have a letter of recommendation for employment signed by Daniel O’Connell, Caherciveen.

Any help is much appreciated. I would very much love to see copies of old documents, letters, etc. that are available.