Author Topic: ?Name of a Pub in Nuneaton  (Read 8626 times)

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
?Name of a Pub in Nuneaton
« on: Monday 03 September 07 09:38 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any ideas how I can find out the name of a pub in Nuneaton in the
?1960's that my ancestors owned/ran.

I'm afraid that I don't have a street name.

We used to visit (when I was a small child, so things are a little hazy).

It was in a built up area, not a large pub, no car park at the front.  We would have approached from Birmingham and I remember turning left and driving up a steep hill with the pub on the right hand side of the road.

My ancestors names were ?Kath GILBERT and I think her husband was called Walter/Wally.

We used to visit in the late '50's early '60 and their ages would have been around 50/60.

I am trying to find the family connection between ?Kath and her husband.

Sorry that's all I have to go in.

Fay

Family name Preston (of Birmingham)
Husselbe (Shropshire), Harper (Claverley, Stoke, Warwick, Birmingham) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham) Pitt (Birmingham) Francis (Shropshire) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham). Taylor (Birmingham).  Mellon(Mallon), Convery, Atchison (Gateshead & Ireland).

Offline Al in Vane

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: ?Name of a Pub in Nuneaton
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 September 07 12:54 BST (UK) »
I don't recognise the area which you describe, would you recognise the name of the pub if I gave you a list?
The only really steep hill is Tuttle Hill but there is no pub on the right besides which that is on the way in from Birmingham, however I will hazard a guess. If you come from the Birmingham direction but use the Ansley road then turn left before the Cock and Bear and continue towards Stockingford you are going up quite a slope for a mile and next to the site of the old Stockingford Station on the right is the Midland Railway Inn an old traditional pub. It has no car park to the front and the footpath dips down to pass it with the road on a higher level and it is in a built-up area. Does that ring any bells?
Apart from that I havn't a clue but will inquire in the Library where they may have a Trades directory for those years and i will also ask around . 

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 September 07 20:35 BST (UK) »
All in Vane

Thank you for your help none of that seems familiar though.

As a child of around 6/7years of age names of roads/districts weren't taken on board - neither were names of pubs i'm afraid.

The steep hill may not seem that steep now but when you are little - well.

The pub was an old pub - right on the pavement.
It had a room to the right (as you went through the door - if my memory serves me correctly) there was a large/very large painting on the right hand wall in a gold/gilt frame - horses - wild horses/stallions running through the countryside.

That's all I can remember.

Fay
Husselbe (Shropshire), Harper (Claverley, Stoke, Warwick, Birmingham) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham) Pitt (Birmingham) Francis (Shropshire) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham). Taylor (Birmingham).  Mellon(Mallon), Convery, Atchison (Gateshead & Ireland).

Offline Al in Vane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 September 07 08:31 BST (UK) »
Fayl, I looked in the 1962 Trades Directory for Nuneaton and no mention of that family at any of the pubs. If you know roughly what age you were at the time can you work out a more specific year span as they will have the Directories from other years. From your description of the area I just cannot think of one that fits and I have lived here all my life. Like you say, things look different when you are young.

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 September 07 11:10 BST (UK) »

All in Vane

Thanks for checking that out for me.

We always referred to aunty Kath as having a pub in Nuneaton.  Maybe that was the closest town and maybe it was a ?village just before you got to Nuneaton.

I even asked my mother this morning (she's 83) and she said Nuneaton - but couldn't remember the name of the pub.

I just cannot remember how old I was - posssibly about 5 - 7 years old so that would put the time scale around 1958 - 1960.

Oh well - back to the drawing board.

Thanks again.

Fay

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 September 07 11:19 BST (UK) »

Actually, i've just had a thought (although i'm probably clutching at straws).

I remember seeing details for a death for a Kath Gilbert somtime in the ?1990's (I think), and the death was registered in Foleshill.
Is this close to Nuneaton?

Regards

Fay

Offline Al in Vane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 September 07 12:14 BST (UK) »
Fayl, Foleshill is about six miles away just before you get to Coventry. If they referred to the pub as being in Nuneaton then that's where it would be, or on the outskirts. I will check up in the previous Trades Directory to the one I have already done, possibly this afternoon as I have to go into town.

Offline Al in Vane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 September 07 18:16 BST (UK) »
Fayl,
       Went through the 1959 Directory and not a sniff, even looked at the Atherstone one as you said you went to the left coming in from Birmingham. Not much else I can do unless your mother or someone comes up with some more information, I don't suppose your mother can remember any directions? It could possibly have been one of the villages such as Ansley or Arley I suppose but you did say it was a built-up area which somehow doesn't fit the bill.
With the Foleshill death at one time that included Bedworth which is a possibility as there were lots of pubs there fitting your description but if that was the case they would not have said it was a Nuneaton pub.

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 September 07 22:47 BST (UK) »
All in Vane

Thank you so much for all you have done, I really appreciate it.

I thought this would be a hard task. Not much to go on and childhood memories.

I don't think my mother ever visited this pub she can only remember family conversation.

My father used to drive us out there occasionaly on a Sunday morning.  We used to stop off (sometimes) at the Griffin Pub in Shustoke and then carry on to see Aunty Kath in Nuneaton at her pub.

I have spoken to my younger sister and all she recalls is "Aunty Kath from Nuneaton".

Once again thank you for trying.

Best wishes

Fay