Author Topic: alexander family in ystradgynlais  (Read 34370 times)

Offline Fisherman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: alexander family in ystradgynlais
« Reply #36 on: Friday 28 September 07 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Rhian,

Some progress at last.  :D

I found someone today that is also researching the Alexander family, I'll PM you on that.
I've also discovered that you are closely related to the Alexanders in Cwmgiedd  - I'm still waiting to hear from them but one of the names they gave me, Frederick, was apparently known as "Freddy Forch" so there is a definite connection to the farm.

A family story is that the family came from Scotland driving cattle to the McTurk estate at Crai.
If I remember correctly Thomas who was at Ynysforch in 1891 or 1901 gave his place of birth as Cwmtawe, Breconshire so that would lend some weight to that story.

Chris
Sockett in Shropshire, Montgomeryshire, Herefordshire, Monmouthshire, Glamorgan and probably the rest of the UK
Corbet/t in Shropshire, Norfolk, Worcestershire
Gambold in South West Wales, USA, Australia
Baylis/s in Gloucestershire, South Wales
Richards in Breconshire
Manthorpe in Shropshire, Norfolk, Cheshire, Suffolk

Offline Mart56

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 10 January 10 15:32 GMT (UK) »
You probably know this already, but I have a note which says that the Alexander family came to Ynysfforch fach in 1885 from Ynysfforch Fawr.  They could not have stayed at Ynysfforch Fawr for long as of course they were not ther in 1881.
Hare (Pembrokeshire and Glamorgan), Stanford (Glamorgan), Hodgson (Lincolnshire and Surrey), Sugden (Keighley and Worcestershire), Griffiths (Kidwelly and Glamorgan), Collins (Kidderminster), Evans (Cwmavon), Mainwaring (Llanedi and Cwmavon), Rees (Neath), Jones (Resolven), Paddison (Neath), Davies (Crynant), Bevan (Tonna).

Offline GPJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • pwy yw'r dyn yn y llun? Who is in the photo?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 15 January 10 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi.
I don't know if this is of help.
Ystradgynlais (Powys) is very close to the boarder for Glamorganshire and Carmarthenshire.
I am living in the next village to Ystradgynlais called Ystalyfera (Glamorganshire, now Neath Port talbot).  As you were told, Alexander is not a common surname for the area, however there was an Alexander family living in the area in a house called Tir-waun. Theses Alexanders were solicitors (Alexander and Stoldard) in Ystalyfera.
A member of this family is living in a village called Penrhos (Powys) by the name of Ewart Alexander, a former English teacher at Maesydderwen comprehensive school, Ystradgynlais, who is now a professional writer.
If you Google his name there is more information.  It may be in your interest to contact him to see if he has any family history that may be of interest to you.

GPJ
Jones Abercraf/Epynt/Ystradfellte
Davies Llanegwad
Williams Rhiw fawr
Cottinghams

Offline buddyboy6

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 28 July 12 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Pompey Welsh,
                            I was very interested to read about the Alexander family.Freddy Forch had 3 sons and I was talking to Ken who is the youngest one in the pub tonight.He knows a lot about the family.

Regards,
                                                Will.

Offline Suemorfa

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 09 June 14 19:39 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am descended from the Alexander's of Cwmgiedd.
So far I have traced them to Gelli Farm in Llandybie. David Alexander from the farm married Jenet Rees from Ty'n y Wern Farm in Betws, their son Rees had five sons, William moved to Ystradgynlais then later moved to Craig Cefn Parc, John moved to Pontardulais, Thomas and David stayed in Betws and Hopkin mo ed firstly to Llangyfelach then to Abercrave, I think you will find that all the Alex's from the area are descended from Hopkin who lived at Ynys Gambwll (opposite Longs coaches), he was a Sawyer in a coal mine and is buried in Ty'n y Coed chapel.
Some Alex's did work for McTurk but were in the area much earlier. Hope this helps ?
Kindest regards,
Sue.